luckyonewithoutyou

Best American Record

I love how this song seems to combine elements of every era/album so far.

The melody is very similar to her Sirens/May Jailer songs, while the beats give me a BTD vibe, the guitars remind me of a stripped back UV and her vocals sound very similar to HM but even more beautiful! I'm also reminded of unreleased songs like Wayamaya and also with that Because of You lyrical flashback.

Queen of just getting better and better!

I saw an interesting theory about the lyrics in a Facebook group, and it's also what I think. It's different from what I read here, so I'm going to share it with you.

So firstly, I think that the lyrics are having several dimensions, like it happens often with Lana.

In the chours, she's talking to herself and "You were so obsessed with writing the next best American record" refers to Ultraviolence (because she really liked the sound of it and was really proud of it before it dropped out). It can also refer to the upcoming album.

The next line is "You did it all for fame" - I see it being ironical, maybe refering to a lot of critics she received for songs like Money Power Glory and Fucked My Way Up To The Top?

Next, she's not talking to herself but possibly her lover: "It’s you, all the roads lead to you, everything I want and do, all the things that I say", it has some Video Games vibes.

"We lost track of space, we lost track of time" - she lost herself in those dreams. All along, she's doing some kind of introspection with her past and now she's breaking the glass, that's why we hear it broken in the last verse. She doesn't like fame, but she carry on for her fans.

tumblr_n3uc3h7ELp1qlsak1o1_500.gif

I feel that this song is directed at herself. Like that she was the one who was writing the next Best American Record (aka Born to Die) she was the one that ruined the relationship

COMPLETELY! Ever since I read the pre-chorus (which was on the Internet since a few days/weeks ago) I thought she could be talking about herself. I was really expecting the whole thing because I thought it was all about herself.

I saw an interesting theory about the lyrics in a Facebook group, and it's also what I think. It's different from what I read here, so I'm going to share it with you.

So firstly, I think that the lyrics are having several dimensions, like it happens often with Lana.

In the chours, she's talking to herself and "You were so obsessed with writing the next best American record" refers to Ultraviolence (because she really liked the sound of it and was really proud of it before it dropped out). It can also refer to the upcoming album.

The next line is "You did it all for fame" - I see it being ironical, maybe refering to a lot of critics she received for songs like Money Power Glory and Fucked My Way Up To The Top?

Next, she's not talking to herself but possibly her lover: "It’s you, all the roads lead to you, everything I want and do, all the things that I say", it has some Video Games vibes.

"We lost track of space, we lost track of time" - she lost herself in those dreams. All along, she's doing some kind of introspection with her past and now she's breaking the glass, that's why we hear it broken in the last verse. She doesn't like fame, but she carry on for her fans.

I feel that this song is directed at herself. Like that she was the one who was writing the next Best American Record (aka Born to Die) she was the one that ruined the relationship

I absolutely love these interpretations but I feel like they ignore the line about Bill though

Which Facebook group? Love these interpretations.

Also in Super Movie she sings "But I think, I think it'd be good for you, Billy/

You never want to do nothing anymore than die"

omg when it leaked i thought these were the lyrics, but they're def "you never want to do nothing anymore and i remember the days when you" "and I" sounds like "than die" lol but also wh0 is bill

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

I'm reaching but the first time she mentions Bill is in Trash Magic which was recorded around 2007/2008. The Rich Whores / Lizzy Grant and the Phenomena formed around the same time with Arthur Lynn on guitar. We know Lana and Arthur had some kind of fling, so maybe "Bill" is just the name she gave him.

i read through 3 pages and no one has mentioned "cool as heck" yet???

I giggled when I first heard it lol. It kind of matches being "90s in his frame of mind" bc I think people used the word "heck" more in the 90s

Also I asked this in the LDR5 pre-release thread, but wtf is architecture supposed to mean?? Why is she a house

I think this song is just about a relationship w/ her bf who was too obsessed w/ his music & it ended it flopping so now she's like I told you so bitch. Lmaoo

i like the theories about it being directed towards herself and i wish it was, but this makes more sense. 

a lust for fame was what drove this person to neglect their relationship and look what it got them--nothing! she's the famous one now. she's the one naming her album "best american record." she made it a reality while he only dreamed about it.

let me be who i'm meant to be