Sitar

Butterflies Part 2

Sorry for reviving this thread, but goodness, some of Lana's unreleased lyrics like this song really do seem fucked up!

If she is really referencing a relationship with a priest, oh god, I don't even know what to say.

I don't think the lyric is "priest's son" because 1) Seeing as Lana is a Catholic and it's most likely that's the specific Christian denomination she's referring to here, and priests aren't allowed to marry and it's EXTREMELY rare for priests to have had children, so I highly doubt she's mentioning a priest's son. 2) A lot of lyrics are in reference to the expectation of this guy to be holy, and for some reason I just can't see there being  much of an expectation on a priest's son to be holy, but rather just the priest having an expectation to be holy.

Idk, maybe she's not even singing about a priest here, but either way, the whole idea of this guy is fucked up, and reminds me of Put Me in a Movie a little bit.

There can be a lot of pressure on preachers' kids, actually. Hence the stereotype that they tend to turn out as little angels or little devils.

I do think it's "preacher's song," though. It's like a siren song luring its "willing" victims. (Rhymes better with "wrong" and sort of with "gone.")

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

What do you guys think of "A pin-up in the lonely sky" versus "I been up in the lonely sky"?

Anyway, I think it's really clever how she plays on the definition of a pin-up girl with "You can pin me up if you like"--like, you stick butterflies with pins. Anyway.

Boy, you can tear me up, if you like.

Tear the wings, tear the pin-up.

oblig :creep:

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

It's most definitely "A pin up in a lonely sky." for the lyrics

Sorry for reviving this thread, but goodness, some of Lana's unreleased lyrics like this song really do seem fucked up!

If she is really referencing a relationship with a priest, oh god, I don't even know what to say.

I don't think the lyric is "priest's son" because 1) Seeing as Lana is a Catholic and it's most likely that's the specific Christian denomination she's referring to here, and priests aren't allowed to marry and it's EXTREMELY rare for priests to have had children, so I highly doubt she's mentioning a priest's son. 2) A lot of lyrics are in reference to the expectation of this guy to be holy, and for some reason I just can't see there being  much of an expectation on a priest's son to be holy, but rather just the priest having an expectation to be holy.

Idk, maybe she's not even singing about a priest here, but either way, the whole idea of this guy is fucked up, and reminds me of Put Me in a Movie a little bit.

She's not referring to a relationship with a priest to be exact. Just a preacher. I know you seem a little religious and maybe it bothers you a bit--the topic, but it's what it's about. The lyric is "This preacher's song." It goes with the "Girl's who sing" line

Even if Lana's catholic, she might not be a devote Catholic. It's just a religion she grew up and raised in. Prob not even super religious anymore. Lana is talking about a preacher who is also sleeping with the girls in the choir and this shit happens more often than people think.  Yall I even googled it.... There's a site all about them called http://pimppreacher.com/

Also with the cult idea. It all makes sense. The main guy in a cult who leads people is technically a preacher. Also they tend to target young girls for the facts that they're young naive, and easily brainwashed. There's like dozens of polygamus camps, lifetime movies, Law and Order: SVU episodes, ect about this type of stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's just a story. But a pretty crazy one. Kind've like Melanie Martinez's Tag You're It.

It's most def "A pin up in a lonely sky." for the lyrics

She's not referring to a relationship with a priest to be exact. Just a preacher. I know you seem a little religious and maybe it bothers you a bit--the topic, but it's what it's about. The lyric is "This preacher's song." It goes with the "Girl's who sing" line

Even if Lana's catholic, she might not be a devote Catholic. It's just a religion she grew up and raised in. Prob not even super religious anymore. Lana is talking about a preacher who is also sleeping with the girls in the choir and this shit happens more often than people think.  Yall I even googled it.... There's a site all about them called http://pimppreacher.com/

Also with the cult idea. It all makes sense. The main guy in a cult who leads people is technically a preacher. Also they tend to target young girls for the facts that they're young naive, and easily brainwashed. There's like dozens of polygamus camps, lifetime movies, Law and Order: SVU episodes, ect about this type of stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's just a story. But a pretty crazy one. Kind've like Melanie Martinez's Tag You're It.

Hi there! Just want to point out that I'm replying via my new account (the user you just quoted is my old account which I can no longer access).

Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across as if I was offended. I'm not super religious at all (in fact, I wouldn't even call myself a 100% practicing Christian anymore). I'd read a theory about this song being about Lana having a relationship with a priest, which I did find a bit off-putting, especially since I'd always considered this song to just be another one of her songs about a "bad boy". I know this kind of thing happens a lot, and there is a lot of abuse within the Church, which is rather upsetting (child abuse, priests having relationships, homophobia, etc).  Looking back at it though, I don't think it's about a relationship with a priest. As you stated, "preacher" probably relates more to a religious person, or a person "preaching" a certain belief, rather than "preacher" explicitly equalling a priest.

Lana's lyrics are always somewhat ambiguous, which leads people to make really strange interpretations sometimes. It does certainly make for an interesting dialogue though!

Lana said once that she knew/been in a relationship with a guru who belived in breaking you down to bulid you back up again and he surronded himself with young girls. Few people think that "Butterflies" (or at least part 2) is about that.
I think that yes, some lyrics may remind of the story Lana told us:

• "I wanna save you, save you from the world outside" // "They say “I'll save you, save you”, but they never do"
  • "I think you know, I want to believe you but in my heart I know that I'll leave you"
  • "You're hot for God"
  • "My baby has an eye for pretty things, pretty things. He thinks that little girls are butterflies and cuts their wings"
  • "Sicko, psycho, sicko but he's my beau. Puts them on a rollercoaster, lures them in with Coca-Cola!"
  • "Boy, you've been, catchin' butterflies,all the girls believe your lies, don't they?"
  • "I know he know that what he's teachin' is wrong but, honey, this preacher's song has got me too far-gone"

But at the same time I think that the topic is way too complicated, hard and mysterious to sing a bubblegum sounding song about it...

How do you feel?

nsaalk.jpg

But at the same time I think that the topic is way too complicated, hard and mysterious to sing a bubblegum sounding song about it...

That's why it was never released. It's clearly about that situation and would seem insensitive if it were released.

But at the same time if butterflies part 1 is about the same person as Butterflies part 2 then I feel like the guy from the part 1 isn't about the cult leader idk 

nsaalk.jpg

Few people think that "Butterflies" (or at least part 2) is about that.

Is it really only a few? This song came to mind immediately when she talked about that.

That's kind of her M.O. She's commented in interviews how she's done that intentionally in some songs.

But at the same time if butterflies part 1 is about the same person as Butterflies part 2 then I feel like the guy from the part 1 isn't about the cult leader idk

Why would it have to be?

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Is it really only a few? This song came to mind immediately when she talked about that.

That's kind of her M.O. She's commented in interviews how she's done that intentionally in some songs.

Why would it have to be?

Idk I assumed few because I haven't heard about that theory a lot :)

And yeah you're right but I personally think that being in a dangerous cult and singing about it in a happy way just doesn't seem to match. But you're right. That's the way Lana is and that's why we love her so much 

I don't know if they're about the same person,  probably not then but naming the song "part 2" makes you think it's kind of a sequel 

nsaalk.jpg

I don't know if they're about the same person,  probably not then but naming the song "part 2" makes you think it's kind of a sequel

Idk, I'm not even necessarily convinced "For K" and "For K Part 2" are necessarily about the same person.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

isnt the entire song butterflies pt. 2 a reference from a passage vladimir nabokov wrote about his book lolita...?

http://chloeapenglish.blogspot.com/2009/06/motif-in-lolita.html

he talks about how butterflies are fascinating in that theyre "fairy-like" "dainty" creatures, and in an attempt to get closer to the butterfly to possess it, the butterfly becomes damaged and essentially ruined, which is the metaphor of the story in lolita (middle-aged man obsessed w/ young girl because of her pure innocent image)

pNjWdpc.png

I distinctively remember reading at least ten pages on this subject on here, it was soooo interesting, I have no idea where though, most probably in the Lanalysis thread. Stuff about the preacher and all. I ADORE these songs but since I read about this I feel always slightly uncomfortable listening to them

ZKcaooE.png

I distinctively remember reading at least ten pages on this subject on here, it was soooo interesting, I have no idea where though, most probably in the Lanalysis thread. Stuff about the preacher and all. I ADORE these songs but since I read about this I feel always slightly uncomfortable listening to them

Me too haha I preferred to think it was about some bad boy cheating around the town. Cult leader makes the song kinda creepy and spooky. And happy tune only makes it worse actually 

"hot for god" - J was in a Christian band around the time they dated so I associated that line with him. 

Didn't know that,  thank you :kiss:

nsaalk.jpg