NamiraWilhelm

What Are You Reading?

The Best of Lester Del Rey (no relation). 

Just finished a story of the collection called "For I am a jealous people", which reminds me of how I lost my religion (an ancient memory so not necessarily accurate, but I think this happened*). I was reading a dumbed down "Old Testament for kids" book and had just finished a part about how the Israelites used the covenant to blast the hell out of the Canaanites and inhabit their territory, at which point I thought WTF. Lester takes this premise and substitutes all humans on earth for Canaan and the snake-like (!) alien Mikhtchah for Israelites. Lester's use of free-will in the revised God/human relationship of the story is a brilliant example of glib (but highly entertaining) science-fictional extrapolation (of the golden age of SF and otherwise).

*Well there is some evidence of problematic material in the Old Testament, lol:

https://bibleproject.com/blog/why-did-god-command-the-invasion-of-canaan-in-the-book-of-joshua/#!

The apologia is partly effective; however, once you start referring to rhetoric, exaggeration, idiom, not to mention contradiction, as being an excuse for sacred texts, let's just say "slippery slope" says hello.

1 hour ago, Eldar said:

The name of the rose.

How are you liking it so far? I always struggle a bit when rereading because Adso never shuts the hell up, but the payoff is well worth it.

BopAxLE.png

sumer is icumen in, lhude sing cuccu

groweþ sed and bloweþ med and springþ þ wde nu

sing cuccu!

12 minutes ago, Eldar said:

Ahahah yeah I agree Adso never shut up, he's so childish :eartha2:but i like the book, it's interesting and I decided to read it cause I saw the film (I have a lot of movies at home:oic2:) and I really am enjoying reading it.

Do you like it?

It's one of my favorites! My mom would read pieces of it to me when I was young, further down the line I watched the movie (still high on my list of fave movies), and I credit it with why I'm so into medieval studies.

But like...shut up about the carvings over the door, Adso, I want to hear about the murders!!

BopAxLE.png

sumer is icumen in, lhude sing cuccu

groweþ sed and bloweþ med and springþ þ wde nu

sing cuccu!

Had recently finished City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert and I can’t sing it’s praises enough. So enjoyable to me! One of my favorite more recently read books.  

Currently reading Circe By Madeline Miller, yet another win for me! It’s rare for me to get two great books back to back but it’s shaping up that way.  

I’d suggest you check them out if you haven’t. City of Girls for 40’s/50’s period drama set in NYC dealing w/ theater, showgirls, WWII, and really great characters.  Circe for those of you who are into Greek mythology and yet again really good character development. 

On 12/27/2020 at 6:02 PM, DLT said:

Had recently finished City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert and I can’t sing it’s praises enough. So enjoyable to me! One of my favorite more recently read books.  

Currently reading Circe By Madeline Miller, yet another win for me! It’s rare for me to get two great books back to back but it’s shaping up that way.  

I’d suggest you check them out if you haven’t. City of Girls for 40’s/50’s period drama set in NYC dealing w/ theater, showgirls, WWII, and really great characters.  Circe for those of you who are into Greek mythology and yet again really good character development. 

I've been wanting to read Crice for so long because I read The Song of Achilles (by the same author) and LOVED IT. 

I'm curently reading "Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story" basically an autobiography of a gay man who was growing up in the 50s/60s and became a writer after graduating from Yale. Would totally recommend to all of you reading gays :wub: 

giphy.gif

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐜𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

11 hours ago, kraljicabenzinske said:

I've been wanting to read Crice for so long because I read The Song of Achilles (by the same author) and LOVED IT. 

I'm curently reading "Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story" basically an autobiography of a gay man who was growing up in the 50s/60s and became a writer after graduating from Yale. Would totally recommend to all of you reading gays :wub: 

You really should read it, it was soooooo good! It was very special for me. It’s one of those reads where after you’re like wow, still taking it in and kind of basking in the after glow.  

I actually just read Song of Achilles after finishing Circe. Another great book! I’m on a roll lol. Now that they are done though I’m really kind of sad. They are a great duo and compliment each other very well.

I will say while I love Patroclus and Achilles I really think Circe is the better novel. It’s just, wow. Very good lol!

So I'm currently reading the first book from the Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch (titled The Lies of Locke Lamora) and I'm less than 200 pages from the end and uhm... I'm finding it quite boring and slow!

I've decided to read it 'cause I was intrigued by the setting (being a Venice-inspired renaissance city crowded with thieves and assassins) and 'cause I've heard very good things about it, but now I'm not sure to keep on reading the other books of the serie... has anyone read this saga? Do you think it's worth going on?

Lanarat.png

2 hours ago, DeluluPrincess said:

about to start flowers in the attic!!! anyone read it ?

It's a "horror" novel, which is why I liked your post (horror's about a 1/3 of my book diet); however, this book hits harder than mere zombie apocalypses that make you forget about your daily problems.  It is a human-on-human victimization horror novel, where the victims are children. There's also some (understandable) societal taboos thrown in, so it's a "grown-up" novel in the sense that if these things bother you (as they do many grown ups, lol), I wouldn't read it, but it is beautifully written and spawned a multi-author series, which I haven't read (or plan to read). Also not gonna lie, I read this book, because I perceived it to be important to Nicole Dollanganger (the singer/songwriter), so as to better understand her. I don't think I do better understand her, but it was an interesting read.

On 1/4/2021 at 12:55 AM, slang said:

It's a "horror" novel, which is why I liked your post (horror's about a 1/3 of my book diet); however, this book hits harder than mere zombie apocalypses that make you forget about your daily problems.  It is a human-on-human victimization horror novel, where the victims are children. There's also some (understandable) societal taboos thrown in, so it's a "grown-up" novel in the sense that if these things bother you (as they do many grown ups, lol), I wouldn't read it, but it is beautifully written and spawned a multi-author series, which I haven't read (or plan to read). Also not gonna lie, I read this book, because I perceived it to be important to Nicole Dollanganger (the singer/songwriter), so as to better understand her. I don't think I do better understand her, but it was an interesting read.

I read it for a similar reason, I saw it in a lot of tumblr blogs including Nicoles! I finished it yesterday and hmmm, to be honest its a beautifully written gothic novel and the details and imagery of the world I loved and the plot twist was relatively interesting, however I think exploring the mothers pov would of made it better?! I don't like it enough to go and read the sequels though. For my first book of the year i'd say 6/10. 

I was planning on waiting until I finished but I thought i'd post here to distract myself from the mess that's going on right now

I started reading Think and Grow rich by Napoleon Hill. A lot of people are interested in it on LB since Lana has cited it more than once. I was pleasantly shocked to find it focusing on the spiritual aspect of success. Since i've already read The Secret by Rhonda Bryne, none of this is new information. But it's full of a lot of important advice to always keep in mind and get you motivated 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

Has anyone read A Promised Land by Obama? I'm hesitant to start it because I heard a good 200/700 pages is about his life before the presidency and I'm not really interested in that...Maybe I'll just wait until he releases the memoirs of his second term...

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift