Sign in to follow this  
SarcasticBeauty

Lust For Life (ft. The Weeknd)

Okay, so I don't know if I should make a whole new thread about it or post it somewhere else, so please correct me if I'm doing it wrong.  :uncomfortable:

Looking at the lyrics, “Lust For Life” immediately reminded me The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I feel that in this song, Lana is Daisy, one of the main characters from the novel. Here's why:

Climb up the H of the Hollywood sign - it's symbolic: LA is a place when your dreams come true and you can start from a bottom to become powerful at the end. Gatsby wanted to get rich, he wrestled with aristocracy and he made it (I'm not sure about this one because Gatsby moved to New York to make it, not LA. But at the time, rich people were more at the East Coast, not West).

“Take off all your clothes - Daisy and Gatsby were sleeping together, their relationship was only that at the beginning.

“Then, we dance on the H of the Hollywood sign” - like I've said before, Gatsby is at the top of the hierarchy, and they're dancing because they were great party people.

Cause we're the masters of our own fate We're the captains of our own souls - Gatsby organized the most epic events of the town, everyone wanted to attend them. Daisy and Gatsby were partying all days and nights, they were alcoholics. Furthermore, Gatsby made it to the top on his own, so everything is thanks to himself. Daisy's status is thanks to her husband Tom.

“My boyfriend's back, and he's cooler than ever” - Gatsby and Daisy were lovers, but he didn't have money, so Daisy married Tom: he's “cooler” now because he became rich, and money the most important thing
for Daisy in the novel.

I told you twice in our love letter There's no stopping now, green lights forever - in the novel, Daisy wrote a letter do Gatsby and the green is a colour which takes a big place in the book, it symbolizes wealth.

Please don't hesistate to tell me if it makes sense to you! I'm curious about your thoughts about it.

tumblr_n3uc3h7ELp1qlsak1o1_500.gif

Obviously, once the video comes out we'll know a lot more what direction she's going, but as the era unfolds I've been speculating more and more about things that aren't just Lana actually being music producer SOPHIE (which is still true but anyway). 

Now that we know they climbed up the ladder to f@%# Abel I'm not so sure she commit suicide there. My theory is that she's like (not to bring back this motherfucker but) the woman from Age of Adeline and she can never die for some reason (maybe the atomic symbolism and stuff is relating to a science experiment gone wrong or something? It would tie in with the scifi theme) and she fell in love but of course, the man she fell in love with died, so she's dreaming of bringing him back to life.

And who knows... maybe she will  :hooker: but the point is, maybe this has been a theme for awhile, or even draws from earlier eras. Like in Dark Paradise, she sang "But I wish I was dead (dead like you), but instead of giving up because she lost the love of her life, she's doing everything he'd ever want to do and living for him... and maybe even trying to figure out how to bring him back, too. Hence why she's dabbling in science so much. 

I'm a huge science fiction nerd so I'm taking a major angle there but... so is she!

Don't ask me why I'm thinking of stuff like this in the middle of the night, but I was just thinking about how out of place the repetition of this line sounded. Now, it is a song with The Weeknd, who infuses a lot of his music with sexuality, and there are a lot of allusions to sex in the song itself, but again, the repetition of this line seems uncharacteristic of Lana, to say the least. 

So, with that being said, here's another possible interpretation. Side note: I'm not religious and haven't been in a church for a long time, so I literally found this out by googling. 

tumblr_oophivUXTw1vm9106o1_1280.png

It just reminded me of the line in "Swan Song", where Lana references Ayn Rand by saying "Put your white tennis shoes on and follow me." Thoughts?

I think it's not about being naked it's about letting everyone know how you truly are, the "take off all your clothes" is like a metaphor to not hide yourself beneath a kind of cover, throwing down our "wall" 

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

Do y'all honestly think Lana sits around reading a bible and writes songs based off of a non-generic verse?  :toofunny:

Plus, we all know "take off all your clothes" is about the Second Tsushima Expedition in 1396. She mentioned North Korea in a tweet and she loves vintage things so it makes total sense.   :crossed:

But it's obviously it's a metaphor since it's called lust for life and lust = sex, sex = taking off your clothes. It's about stripping yourself of everything holding you back and living life...

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

I already wrote this in the lyric thread, but it's obviously not "take off all your clothes cause lets have sex"

I think it's taking off clothes being open, being free and natural and exposed cause you don't care and aren't hiding anymore. It's like 'live life without covering your true self up' because they have a lust for life, not lust for sex. In the song anyway ;)

I do like your theory though. It fits the theme

Do y'all honestly think Lana sits around reading a bible and writes songs based off of a non-generic verse?  :toofunny:

Plus, we all know "take off all your clothes" is about the Second Tsushima Expedition in 1396. She mentioned North Korea in a tweet and she loves vintage things so it makes total sense.   :crossed:

But it's obviously it's a metaphor since it's called lust for life and lust = sex, sex = taking off your clothes. It's about stripping yourself of everything holding you back and living life...

That's exactly what I think she does. Lana is THAT extra lol :)