Say Yes to Heaven

Tomorrow Never Came (ft. Sean Ono Lennon)

Lana ALWAYS gives me that feeling that Ive heard the song before, not in a bad way though (such as she stole someone's idea, cause never!) but in the best way possible. Like nostalgia for memories i dont even have.

Also the "Isn't life crazy as heck nw that i'm singing with Sean" is fine to my ears. I didn't cringe like i expected to. I mean the song COULD do without that line, but i really dont care. I'm unphazed and this song is a strong 10/10

I honestly think this song was inspired by The Age of Adeline. The story is so similar.

The guy sits on a park bench and is going to propose to Adeline but she sees and decides to stand him up and he thinks that she never came.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

@cultleader

Remember in Brooklyn Baby Lana spur of the moment added "my boyfriend's really cool, but he's not as cool as me" line

I believe spur of moment Lana added the line about singing with Sean, who is the one and only true heir to both John and Yoko.

And it is something someone would quite naturally sing out in concert.

@@trashmagic  IMHO the park bench signifies Strawberry Fields in Central Park, across the street from Sean & John & Yoko's home in NYC

(which tragically, but beautifully was created after John's death, where people come to visit now, with park benches to sit and reflect

Lana and Sean make a great pair. I would love it in the future if Lana co-produces a Sean Lennon album or they go out and do some dates together.

(not to play matchmaker, but they make a cute couple)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

This song wrecks me every time. Some of the lyrics are so hopeful but then the you realize/remember the song is about missed love. Those hopeful lyrics don't come true.

In a way this song could be interpreted as two people singing the same song/having the same feelings separately, they don't know the other is singing the same song/has the same feelings. This way, the line "isn't life crazy... now that I'm singing with Sean" doesn't break the image of a love story by bringing awareness to the song being just a song. Singing with Sean adds to the narrative of fantasized romance.

Bury me to Bel Air.

In my opinion- (this is based on some other comments)-

Sean Lennon's real voice here IS this voice

I believe he (like Lana) has a few different voices and believe Sean on purpose on other albums wanted people to hear something not say he sounds like John.

(same in concert).
Sean (like Lana too) has been very insecure of his place in the world and wary of others taking advantage of him.

With Lana he found a kindred soul.

(and they would make a really cute couple not to mention- neither would have to worry about golddiggers charge, so on that they would be equals).

and another day, I am liking this song more and more.

And do people realize that Lana has basically in her life, and on this album in a way,

done the Beatle's Red White and Blue albums?

for those that don't know what I am talking about

everyone knows the White album

but there was later the Red Album (Greatest Hits of the 1/2 half of their union)

and then the Blue Album (greatest hits of the 2nd 1/2 of their short union)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I'm not quite sure about the last chorus - is it all in unreal past? So the entire last chorus is about how their relationship could've been if Sean actually showed up at the park to talk with Lana?

image.png

It is  metaphor and can be looked at 4 different ways

and as the thought of the song itself was there before Sean, it could also be theorized that it is Lana and Elizabeth and what was in Time Past Time Present and Time Future

and also cinematically like the Cary Grant movie "An affair to Remember" or the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan remake of that "Sleepless in Seattle"

In real life, Ms. Grant and Mr. Ono Lennon could be at the very start of a future (for all we know)

"Wine wine wine wine
Wine wine wine wine"

"We would play all day long
Isn't life crazy as heck
Now that i'm singing with Sean"

this song had potential but these lyrics are the worst

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

note that it is the real me on reddit- and someone asked a question there, that I assume also is here

When Lana is singing "Now that I am singing with Sean", the music behind it/after it is "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"

which Lana also referenced early when talking about the album being released.

The thing that is so interesting about Sean is that, prior to the final album John and Yoko were working on "Double Fantasy" (released Nov. 1980) when John was assassinated (Dec.8), there were no Beatles nor any solo albums of John's that were released prior to Sean's birth Oct. 9, 1975

(and Double Fantasy was about Sean and the years away from the spotlight raising Sean).

The song "beautiful boy" (about Sean) at the end John whispers "Goodnight Sean. See you in the morning. Bright and Early."

and that John's retreat from the world was so that he could be  House Daddy John to bring up his son and be there for him for about 5 years.

btw-

yesterday, I played Tomorrow Never Came  in repeat  75 times in a row.

I love how throughout La career she writes lyrics as a conversation, regardless of whether a second person is there, or like one writes a book or poem or for the screen

Great story song tellers who create landscapes with their words (or word pictures to make you feel like you can envision it as she is singing it) do that

"And I could put on the radio

To our favorite song
Lennon and Yoko
We would play all day long
Isn't life crazy, I said
Now that i'm singing with Sean"

I've seen a lot of criticism of these lyrics but, honestly, how could you not find them cute and funny? In my opinion this is Lana at her best.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

But don't ask me why

Just swallow some wine

Wine wine wine wine

Wine wine wine wine

(Pre-chorus 2)

Stay, baby stay

On this side of paradise

in the tropic of Cancer

Because if I had my way

You'd always stay

Anybody else get a sort of date rapey vibe from these lines, in a sort of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" kind of way?

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.