Your Girl Lana

National Anthem

NATIONAL ANTHEM APPRECIATION POST

First of all, let's talk about the introduction. Whether we talk about the rockish, electric guitar-driven demo-one, or the majestic violin album-one... They're both gorgeous ! :oprah:

Money is the anthem of success
So before we go out, what's your address?

She's so cute.  :flutter: 

I'm your national anthem
God, you're so handsome
Take me to the Hamptons
Bugatti Veyron
He loves to romance 'em
Reckless abandon
Hold me for ransom
Upper echelon

Say what you want, Lana is no rapper, but this verse flows so well, and it starts to paint a picture in my mind ... 

Tell me I'm your national anthem
(Boo-yah, baby, bow down, makin' me say wow now)
Tell me I'm your National Anthem
(Sugar-sugar, how now, take your body downtown)
Red, white, blue's in the skies
Summer's in the air and, baby, heaven's in your eyes
I'm your national anthem

The MELODY on the bold part is just so beautiful, it really struck me when I heard it for the first time. The lyrics combined with the ascending and descending scales is simple yet so striking. 

Money is the reason we exist
Everybody knows that it's a fact, kiss-kiss

Cute Lana making a comeback  :flutter: 

I sing the national nthem
While I am standing
Over your body
Hold you like a python
And you can't keep your hands off me
Or your pants on

See what you've done to me
King of Chevron

:grinds:

Um, do you think you'll buy me lots of diamonds?

Special mention for the demo where that guy says "Yes, of course I'll buy you diamonds". Do we know if that comes from a movie or something ?

It's a love story for the new age
For the sixth page
We're on a quick sick rampage
Wining and dining, drinking and driving
Excessive buying, overdosing, dying
On our drugs and our love and our dreams and our rage
Blurring the lines between real and the fake
Dark and lonely, I need somebody to hold me

He will do very well
I can tell, I can tell
Keep my safe in his belltower hotel

Once more, the flow on this is spot on, imo. And the "Dark and lonely" is so poignant, especially when you watch the music video and that she's gazing with her beautiful eyes. :poordat:

So put on mascara and your party dress

I'm your national anthem
Boy, put your hands up
Give me a standing ovatio-o-o-n
Boy, you have landed, babe
In the land of sweetness and danger
Queen of Saigon

Come on... Who does that ? I remember a review talking about how ovation was spanned over several syllables. 

And the following line is beautiful, imo. :agree:

Money is the anthem
God, you're so handsome
Money is the anthem of success
(x4)

The harmonies ... :poordat:

In conclusion : National Anthem is a great song, from its demo stages to its official release, including its music videos.

The homemade one is cute, I don't watch it a lot and don't remember a lot of it tbh, except her look and the way she dances in front of that window :creep: As for the "professional" one, the intro is quite striking and the photography/videography/whatever you call that is overall beautiful. I looove the part where she butters her toast while smoking (hence my avi). Any girl who'd do that would fail miserably, I feel, and yet it looks so simple and elegant with her ...  :flutter:

ASAP as JFK is a great idea.

Also, this video introduced us to her first monologue right ? Beautiful, too... (Although she didn't write this one, right ?)

I rest my case.  :crossed:

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

NATIONAL ANTHEM APPRECIATION POST

First of all, let's talk about the introduction. Whether we talk about the rockish, electric guitar-driven demo-one, or the majestic violin album-one... They're both gorgeous ! :oprah:

She's so cute.  :flutter: 

Say what you want, Lana is no rapper, but this verse flows so well, and it starts to paint a picture in my mind ... 

The MELODY on the bold part is just so beautiful, it really struck me when I heard it for the first time. The lyrics combined with the ascending and descending scales is simple yet so striking. 

Cute Lana making a comeback  :flutter:

:grinds:

Special mention for the demo where that guy says "Yes, of course I'll buy you diamonds". Do we know if that comes from a movie or something ?

Once more, the flow on this is spot on, imo. And the "Dark and lonely" is so poignant, especially when you watch the music video and that she's gazing with her beautiful eyes.  :poordat:

So put on mascara and your party dress

Come on... Who does that ? I remember a review talking about how ovation was spanned over several syllables. 

And the following line is beautiful, imo. :agree:

The harmonies ...  :poordat:

In conclusion : National Anthem is a great song, from its demo stages to its official release, including its music videos.

The homemade one is cute, I don't watch it a lot and don't remember a lot of it tbh, except her look and the way she dances in front of that window :creep: As for the "professional" one, the intro is quite striking and the photography/videography/whatever you call that is overall beautiful. I looove the part where she butters her toast while smoking (hence my avi). Any girl who'd do that would fail miserably, I feel, and yet it looks so simple and elegant with her ...  :flutter:

ASAP as JFK is a great idea.

Also, this video introduced us to her first monologue right ? Beautiful, too... (Although she didn't write this one, right ?)

I rest my case.  :crossed:

She did write the monologue. The idea that Jackie wrote it was fake. 

Interesting ! Any source ? 

Not directly, but I read from a big fanpage on Instagram the other day that Lana wrote the monologue and the letters are rumoured to be fake. I don't know of its authenticity, but Lana does use the word 'electric' a lot to describe people. (Btw I have my own Lana fanpage too) 

Not directly, but I read from a big fanpage on Instagram the other day that Lana wrote the monologue and the letters are rumoured to be fake. I don't know of its authenticity, but Lana does use the word 'electric' a lot to describe people. (Btw I have my own Lana fanpage too) 

Okay... I remember reading that it was Jackie's own work and never digging any deeper. 

What's your fan page ? ^^

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

Interesting ! Any source ? 

I'm not positive that Lana wrote the monologue (although it sounds like something she'd write), but it definitely wasn't written by Jackie Kennedy. There is a mock up of a letter that is around that contains it, but not only is it dated on the unlikely date of his assassination, it isn't addressed to anyone, and doesn't really reflect what JK's feelings would have been. I can't imagine anyone before the 2000's using the phrase "He was like this hybrid", and it's almost impossible to conceive that a widow in her position would write so unemotionally about her husband's status as a lady's man even years later, let alone on the day of his death.

tumblr_nj3iavwBVc1twyamlo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Cute commentary on how the song came about

It’s another escapist song, revelling in the good times. I’ve been with this guy off and on for a long time, but we used to just drive from New York in his car up to the Hamptons. I remember thinking at the time it was just heaven. It’s funny, all the songs are about the same thing — going away with the one you love and then coming back home. In having relationships, you’re able to explore other sides of yourself.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/bizarre/333178/when-i-write-songs-i-stand-under-the-telephone-wires-and-take-in-their-energy/

z445hpI.png

On 9/3/2012 at 10:51 PM, Your Girl Lana said:

It's a love story for the new age
For the sixth page
We're on a quick sick rampage
Wining and dining, drinking and driving
Excessive buying, overdosing, dying
On our drugs and our love and our dreams and our rage
Blurring the lines between real and the fake
Dark and lonely, I need somebody to hold me
He will do very well
I can tell, I can tell
Keep my safe in his belltower hotel

this is honestly such a fantastic lyric & i really didn’t realize how doomsy & dark it was until i just simply read it, even in a song which seems to be a cheeky, possibly satirical take on rich & opulent lifestyles, she sneaks in darkness & complexity which can be so relatable to the listeners & the modern world as a whole, it can be viewed literally, or figuratively, to fit a certain situation, you can really sense what she means when she details her lover keeping her safe in a beautiful, faraway, opulent place, while the entire world around her is slowly rotting & crumbling due to their own desires, cheap thrills, & materialistic wants, AHH she’s incredible :hair:

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

1 hour ago, Surf Noir said:

this is honestly such a fantastic lyric & i really didn’t realize how doomsy & dark it was until i just simply read it, even in a song which seems to be a cheeky, possibly satirical take on rich & opulent lifestyles, she sneaks in darkness & complexity which can be so relatable to the listeners & the modern world as a whole, it can be viewed literally, or figuratively, to fit a certain situation, you can really sense what she means when she details her lover keeping her safe in a beautiful, faraway, opulent place, while the entire world around her is slowly rotting & crumbling due to their own desires, cheap thrills, & materialistic wants, AHH she’s incredible :hair:

The bridge lyrics are some of my favourite of hers for exactly the reasons you described here <3 National Anthem is one of her best songs ever :smile:

53 minutes ago, The Love Witch said:

Remember the days when Lana made bops and wasn’t just whining over a slow piano and a guitar?

I'm always amazed that there are Lana fans who have never heard Video Games.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

51 minutes ago, The Siren said:

Tbh her piano albums are her best ones :lmaoney:

Have you considered doing stand-up? :awkney:

18 minutes ago, longtimeman said:

I'm always amazed that there are Lana fans who have never heard Video Games.

I have and I didn’t like it. Still don't. National Anthem turned me into a stan.