Sign in to follow this  
sweetie

Heroin

Heroin is That song I never expected to fully enjoy regarding the snippet but that actually rocked me to the core. It's so beautifully chill, so sad and tragic and deeply calm like in a haze. The bridge is so beautiful like how? It's gorgeous. It's so fucking well written. I'm in absolute awe. It's my jam

ZKcaooE.png

This immediately went straight to my Top Three favorite Lana songs ever along with West Coast and Terrence Loves You. Welcome to the exclusive list of songs I want to be played at my funeral, Heroin.  :deadbanana:

Topanga is hot tonight, the city by the bay

Has movie stars and liquor stores and soft decay

The rumbling from distant shores sends me to sleep

But the facts of life, can sometimes make it hard to dream

Life rocked me like Motley

Grab me by the ribbons in my hair

Life rocked me, ultra-softly

Like the heavy metal that you wear

Flying to the moon again

Dreaming about heroin

How it gave you everything

And took your life away

I put you on an aeroplane

Destined for a foreign land

I hoped that you'd come back again

To tell me everything's

Okay (eh, eh, babe, yeah)

Topanga is hot today

Manson's in the air

And all my friends have come

'Cause they still feel him here

I want to leave

I'll probably stay another year

It's hard to leave when absolutely nothing's clear

Life rocked me like Motley

Bad beginning to my new year

Life rocked me, ultra-softly

Like the heavy metal that you hear

Flying to the moon again

Dreaming about heroin

And how it gave you everything

And took your life away

I put you on an aeroplane

Destined for a foreign land

I thought that you'd come back again

To tell me everything's

Okay (eh, eh, babe, yeah)

It's fucking hot, hot

Winter in the city

Something 'bout this weather

Made these kids go crazy

It's hot

Even for February

Something 'bout this sun

Has made these kids get scary

Oh, writing in blood on my walls and shit

Oh, oh my god

Dripping off from the walls into the darks and shit

Oh, oh, oh

I'll be lying if I said I wasn't sick of it

Lead me baby

Come on

Come on

Come on

Come on

Flying to the moon again

Dreaming about marzipan

Taking all my medicine

To take my thoughts away

I'm getting on that aeroplane

Leaving my old man again

I hope that I'd come back again one day

To tell you that I

Really changed

Baby

It's hot, hot

Something 'bout the city

Don't know what he is

And make my head get crazy

Oh, oh, oh

Makes me feel like I can change

Oh, oh, oh

All of my evil ways and shit

Hmm, hmm

Oh, oh, oh

I'll be lying if I said I wasn't sick of it

I don't understand the Manson connection to the song. What does that line/verse mean? Can anyone explain?

"Before the summer ended, Manson and eight or nine of his enthusiasts piled into an old school bus they had re-wrought in hippie style, with colored rugs and pillows in place of the many seats they had removed. They roamed as far north as Washington state, then southward through Los Angeles, Mexico, and the southwest. Returning to the Los Angeles area, they lived in Topanga Canyon, Malibu, and Venice—western parts of the city and county.[1]:163–174 It was November when the school bus set out from San Francisco with the enlarged group.[4]

In 1967, Brunner became pregnant by Manson and on April 15, 1968, gave birth to a son she named Valentine Michael (nicknamed "Pooh Bear")[5] in a condemned house in Topanga Canyon, assisted during the birth by several of the young women from the Family. Brunner (like most members of the group) acquired a number of aliases and nicknames, including: "Marioche", "Och", "Mother Mary", "Mary Manson", "Linda Dee Manson" and "Christine Marie Euchts".[6]"

read more about it here, it's weird https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manson_Family

"Before the summer ended, Manson and eight or nine of his enthusiasts piled into an old school bus they had re-wrought in hippie style, with colored rugs and pillows in place of the many seats they had removed. They roamed as far north as Washington state, then southward through Los Angeles, Mexico, and the southwest. Returning to the Los Angeles area, they lived in Topanga Canyon, Malibu, and Venice—western parts of the city and county.[1]:163–174 It was November when the school bus set out from San Francisco with the enlarged group.[4]

In 1967, Brunner became pregnant by Manson and on April 15, 1968, gave birth to a son she named Valentine Michael (nicknamed "Pooh Bear")[5] in a condemned house in Topanga Canyon, assisted during the birth by several of the young women from the Family. Brunner (like most members of the group) acquired a number of aliases and nicknames, including: "Marioche", "Och", "Mother Mary", "Mary Manson", "Linda Dee Manson" and "Christine Marie Euchts".[6]"

read more about it here, it's weird https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manson_Family

I should have been more clear. I know the story, I just don't understand the song. Is it supposed to be from Mary Brunner's perspective, or is it not about Manson and his cult at all? I don't understand the song's meaning in general

I don't understand the Manson connection to the song. What does that line/verse mean? Can anyone explain?

My impression is that it's about a feeling of darkness that the narrator has from the place that she's in, while the people around her are getting off on the fact that they're in a place associated with Manson.

Warning: disgusting imagery in spoiler.

The imagery of writing in blood on the wall is astonishingly poetic, linking both the scene of the Helter Skelter murders (where phrases were written on the wall in blood), and the fact that heroin addicts tend to cover their rooms in blood from spray from their veins. 

The song seems to be about some people escaping into heroin, and some escaping from it. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sick of it" is also about the need for escape (similar to the scene in 'Afraid'), and the sickness that surrounds heroin use - the sickness of addiction; the sickness of withdrawal; the existential sickness of being in that physical place.

I've only just heard the song in the past couple of hours so it's still sinking in, but it's one of her best works.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

"This is the only track I didn't talk to any of the journalists about for a reason. The title, of course. It's my favourite track of the 16-track record. How it sounds is how the record started off, but then it went to a brighter place.. folky-like"

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Lana: "I actually really love that song Heroin"

Fan: "I've never done heroin!"

Lana:  *shouts* "NO COMMENT!"

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Going off what LTM said, I do find this sing is about e personification of heroin usage. I'm going to assume both Lana and her love had been oin the heroin use due to the legend of Manson family while they lived in topanga. When Lana says she's flying to the moon, it means she's getting so high she reaches the moon. When she says she put him on an aeroplane to a foreign land, she's meaning she was the one giving him the heroin and the foreign land is the state of being high. She hoped he would survive the usage of the drug, but he didn't, note the overusage of OK. Now on the second verse, Lana compares her lover to Manson, probably because his own use of the drug and the alluring of women. Now on the bridge, it just seems like a release of anger of living in topanga, as it is always hot there and the writing on the walls with blood and shit would be the realization of her heroin usage, with her own blood from the heroin needles. In the final verse, she claims she is going to get high again, but now the mood is different as now she is dreaming about marzipan and taking her medicine. She claims she is also getting back on the aeroplane, and she is going to get off on the marzipan. This may mean that she is now seeking treatment and she hopes to come back to her lover and now she is changed and no longer addicted. The ending line of saying she would be lying if she said she wasn't sick is of it is signifying her realization of her addiction. Just my interpretation

Going off what LTM said, I do find this sing is about e personification of heroin usage. I'm going to assume both Lana and her love had been oin the heroin use due to the legend of Manson family while they lived in topanga. When Lana says she's flying to the moon, it means she's getting so high she reaches the moon. When she says she put him on an aeroplane to a foreign land, she's meaning she was the one giving him the heroin and the foreign land is the state of being high. She hoped he would survive the usage of the drug, but he didn't, note the overusage of OK. Now on the second verse, Lana compares her lover to Manson, probably because his own use of the drug and the alluring of women. Now on the bridge, it just seems like a release of anger of living in topanga, as it is always hot there and the writing on the walls with blood and shit would be the realization of her heroin usage, with her own blood from the heroin needles. In the final verse, she claims she is going to get high again, but now the mood is different as now she is dreaming about marzipan and taking her medicine. She claims she is also getting back on the aeroplane, and she is going to get off on the marzipan. This may mean that she is now seeking treatment and she hopes to come back to her lover and now she is changed and no longer addicted. The ending line of saying she would be lying if she said she wasn't sick is of it is signifying her realization of her addiction. Just my interpretation

Finally an interpretation that sounds right and not outlandish. I agree with this analysis! Fans can get crazy & deep in their interpretations of her songs but this is really good and realistic 

OK I may be insane but I hear "and all my friends have gone 'cause they still feel him here." But I can also hear "come" a little bit, in the "m" sound. It actually sounds like a weird mix of "gone" and "come" but "gone" makes more sense to me. I'mma get a q-tip