Sign in to follow this  
sweetie

Heroin

The first part is so extremely beautiful but this breakdown after the second chorus rel

Ally decreases the albums quality. It may be authentic but it's not pleasing for the ear if she's just shouting. These "oooaaaooooaaaahs" soubd so out of tune and like something she'd do on one of her old laptop demo, it completely makes you forget the beauty of the first part. The "and shit"-s are a new low of her lyricism. The biggest problem is that the last part is almost as long as the first two verses with chorus.

Still like this song, but I really don't know why she thought it was neccecary to add those trashy vocals at tge end of it.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Going off what LTM said, I do find this sing is about e personification of heroin usage. I'm going to assume both Lana and her love had been oin the heroin use due to the legend of Manson family while they lived in topanga. When Lana says she's flying to the moon, it means she's getting so high she reaches the moon. When she says she put him on an aeroplane to a foreign land, she's meaning she was the one giving him the heroin and the foreign land is the state of being high. She hoped he would survive the usage of the drug, but he didn't, note the overusage of OK. Now on the second verse, Lana compares her lover to Manson, probably because his own use of the drug and the alluring of women. Now on the bridge, it just seems like a release of anger of living in topanga, as it is always hot there and the writing on the walls with blood and shit would be the realization of her heroin usage, with her own blood from the heroin needles. In the final verse, she claims she is going to get high again, but now the mood is different as now she is dreaming about marzipan and taking her medicine. She claims she is also getting back on the aeroplane, and she is going to get off on the marzipan. This may mean that she is now seeking treatment and she hopes to come back to her lover and now she is changed and no longer addicted. The ending line of saying she would be lying if she said she wasn't sick is of it is signifying her realization of her addiction. Just my interpretation

But if she overdosed a guy to the point that he died, wouldn't Lana be in jail by now? O.o

But if she overdosed a guy to the point that he died, wouldn't Lana be in jail by now? O.o

I'm not saying she meant to kill him. I'm saying she is the reason why he had been addicted and that although she was aware he did it she was hoping everything would be OK. I mean we could imagine the scenarios in this song, but for it is only a song.

Going off what LTM said, I do find this sing is about e personification of heroin usage. I'm going to assume both Lana and her love had been oin the heroin use due to the legend of Manson family while they lived in topanga. When Lana says she's flying to the moon, it means she's getting so high she reaches the moon. When she says she put him on an aeroplane to a foreign land, she's meaning she was the one giving him the heroin and the foreign land is the state of being high. She hoped he would survive the usage of the drug, but he didn't, note the overusage of OK. Now on the second verse, Lana compares her lover to Manson, probably because his own use of the drug and the alluring of women. Now on the bridge, it just seems like a release of anger of living in topanga, as it is always hot there and the writing on the walls with blood and shit would be the realization of her heroin usage, with her own blood from the heroin needles. In the final verse, she claims she is going to get high again, but now the mood is different as now she is dreaming about marzipan and taking her medicine. She claims she is also getting back on the aeroplane, and she is going to get off on the marzipan. This may mean that she is now seeking treatment and she hopes to come back to her lover and now she is changed and no longer addicted. The ending line of saying she would be lying if she said she wasn't sick is of it is signifying her realization of her addiction. Just my interpretation

i just had 2 reread this because it's such a damn good analysis and visual for the song; ugh it just makes the final three a reallly good highlight of the album

having this ending with her wanting to change and then how it bleeds into Change which is about growth but being ok with just being aware and recognizing you aren't fully there but something is happening; and then Get Free just exemplifies that by showing the desire to change

idk its late but it's really fucking beautiful and one of my favorite things she's ever done

ok so i have a theory about heroin - since it uses the word aeroplane a lot i made the connection between the song and aviation off of sirens. Aviation was written while she was staying with her uncle and learning to play guitar so it's about her breaking away from her parents and wanting to become Lizzy Grant (i think) and it also mentions her getting high. So going back to Heroin, I think it's symbolic of Lana putting "elizabeth grant" and "lizzy" and "may" on an aeroplane to be forgotten. So it's her transition into the lana we know now who lives in california (topanga as heard in the song) and all her friends also go on the plane to california and leave their lives behind. "i'll probably stay another year" is her not wanting to completely let go of lizzy because she doesn't want to lose herself completely - "bad beginning to my new year" was the whole snl drama. finally her perspective changes and she's the one leaving in the plane and she's saying hopefully she'll be successful the next time she sees her dad. kind of a stretch but it's 2 am and i can't sleep lol

tumblr_olpfi47DBl1uuo18wo1_500.gifvtumblr_olpfi47DBl1uuo18wo3_500.gifv

I though it would be useful to include the lyrics to the Lou Reed song 'Heroin' here, as it doesn't only share a title/subject matter with Lana's song, there might also be some interesting parallels people might want to explore.

I don't know just where I'm going *
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can
Cause it makes me feel like I'm a man
When I put a spike into my vein
And I tell you things aren't quite the same
When I'm rushing on my run
And I feel just like Jesus' son

[Chorus]
And I guess that I just don't know

[Verse 2]
I have made a very big decision
I'm gonna try to nullify my life
Cause when the blood begins to flow
When it shoots up the dropper's neck
When I'm closing in on death
You can't help me, not you guys
And all you sweet girls with all your sweet talk
You can all go take a walk

[Chorus]
And I guess I just don't know

[Verse 3]
I wish that I was born a thousand years ago
I wish that I'd sailed the darkened seas
On a great big clipper ship
Going from this land here to that
In a sailor's suit and cap
Away from the big city
Where a man cannot be free
Of all the evils of this town
And of himself and those around

[Chorus]
Oh, and I guess that I just don't know

[Verse 4]
Heroin, be the death of me
Heroin, it's my wife and it's my life, haha
Because a mainline to my vein
Leads to a center in my head
And then I'm better off than dead
Because when the smack begins to flow
I really don't care anymore
About all the Jim-Jims in this town
And all the politicians making crazy sounds
And everybody putting everybody else down
And all the dead bodies piled up in mounds
Cause when the smack begins to flow
And I really don't care anymore
Ah, when that heroin is in my blood
Heh, and that blood is in my head
Then thank God that I'm as good as dead
And thank your God that I'm not aware
And thank God that I just don't care

[Chorus]
And I guess I just don't know

[* note: original opening line was "I know just where I'm going]

Some people are still boring and tasteless I see. Those said people should refrain themselves from posting their irrelevant little opinions!

Calm down, mate. You're making me anxious about having the same opinions as you.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

These "oooaaaooooaaaahs" soubd so out of tune and like something she'd do on one of her old laptop demo, it completely makes you forget the beauty of the first part.

i fucking love this song but this part keeps it from being perfect. the layered vocals cut out at different points and don't sound right. i don't understand how she can be so meticulous about the mixing and leave it like that. 

let me be who i'm meant to be

instant favorite & probably the best song in the album.

my favorite thing about the lyrics is how the Manson references seem to be ambiguously written both from the pov of a cult member (expanding on what she's done before of equating the man in her life to a cult leader) but also that of a victim (Topanga Canyon murder - a musician was killed, "writing in blood on my walls" - her house being invaded by stalkers). i love how she goes from "made the kids go crazy" to "make my head get crazy", it really encapsulates the dual meaning of the song.

that, the ethereal melody/vocals & the gun cocking sounds = ❤️

Interesting. But how is the other person on the airplane being made up for?

so in the first verse and second verse chorus she's referring to elizabeth and how she hopes that later she'll come back out and nothing will have changed and everything will be ok

heroin and marzipan are metaphors for fame and she dreams about fame constantly. She's taking medicine to take her thoughts away from elizabeth and hopes to see her dad as elizabeth and not merge lana and elizabeth together because she doesn't want to lose herself

tumblr_olpfi47DBl1uuo18wo1_500.gifvtumblr_olpfi47DBl1uuo18wo3_500.gifv

so in the first verse and second verse chorus she's referring to elizabeth and how she hopes that later she'll come back out and nothing will have changed and everything will be ok

heroin and marzipan are metaphors for fame and she dreams about fame constantly. She's taking medicine to take her thoughts away from elizabeth and hopes to see her dad as elizabeth and not merge lana and elizabeth together because she doesn't want to lose herself

I do like this theory but this theme would fit more for ultraviolence or born to die. Lana has said she has forgotten the LDR persona of a Beverly hills crazy hollywood druggie queen who loves the old guys. if anything, she's more elizabeth than she has ever been 

I'm going to go for the low hanging fruit here:

Lust For Life is, or attempts to be, a socially aware record. And socially, there's a major heroin epidemic happening (with many American towns overflowing with people dead from it/dead from fentanyl). This song is about that. 

giphy.gif

"Manson's in the air

And all my friends have come

'Cause they still feel him here"

Probably doesn't need explaining.

"Something 'bout this weather made these kids go crazy"

Possible Manson Family reference, weren't the most of his followers quite young?

"Oh, writing in blood on my walls and shit"

Definitely a reference to the Cielo Drive/"Tate" murders in 1969, carried out by Manson Family members Tex Watson, Susan Atkins, Linda Kasabian and Patricia Krenwinkel. Manson had instructed the women to leave a "witchy" sign so Susan Atkins wrote the word "pig" on the front door in Sharon Tate's blood with a towel.