Elle

Get Free

2 minutes ago, bornfree said:

ok hlrm5q3.gif

I think "caught up in the dance" is official (in the cd booklet?) or at least it's what makes most sense. But what do you mean with "dens"?

so these are the lyrics of the pre-chorus:

This is my commitment

My modern manifesto

I'm doing it for all of us

Who never got the chance

For... and for...

And all my birds of paradise

Who never got to fly at night

Cause they were caught up in the dance 

I think Lana is saying she is doing "it" for those who never got the chance, i.e. the greats who unfortunately died young (Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain, etc.). Then she says they "never got the chance" because "they were caught up in the dance" - this probably means they got consumed by something whether that be fame, or drugs, etc. I was just reading on Genius that at a concert when she sang this song live, she sang  "cause they were caught up in the dance of cruel romance". I don't think the dance is something positive but more dangerous and addicting and difficult to escape.

mUENGN9.png

1 minute ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

so these are the lyrics of the pre-chorus:

This is my commitment

My modern manifesto

I'm doing it for all of us

Who never got the chance

For... and for...

And all my birds of paradise

Who never got to fly at night

Cause they were caught up in the dance 

I think Lana is saying she is doing "it" for those who never got the chance, i.e. the greats who unfortunately died young (Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain, etc.). Then she says they "never got the chance" because "they were caught up in the dance" - this probably means they got consumed by something whether that be fame, or drugs, etc. I was just reading on Genius that at a concert when she sang this song live, she sang  "cause they were caught up in the dance of cruel romance". I don't think the dance is something positive but more dangerous and addicting and difficult to escape.

i read on genius too

It just got in my head what she meant by "dance", I wanted a better interpretation to speak in my language. When I saw the lyrics with "dens" which means "hideout" it made more sense to me

check here

https://m.letras.mus.br/lana-del-rey/get-free/

I think she just compares those people to birds of paradise for whatever reason - paradise (or heaven) is something Lana often sings about and it often has multiple meanings - for instance, she might be trying to paint people like Amy Winehouse as a heavenly creature.

People like Amy was never able to "fly" (continue to live) because she was "caught up in the dance" (the dance being with drugs or abusive men or mental illness, etc)

mUENGN9.png

"Freedom comes from the call..."

https://knpr.org/npr/2018-02/lana-del-rey-world-cafe

I want to end with the song that ends the record, "Get Free." You sing, "This is my commitment / My modern manifesto / I'm doing it for all of us / Who never got the chance." Never got the chance to what?

For Amy [Winehouse], and for Whitney [Houston]. "And all my birds of paradise / Who never got to fly at night, / 'Cause they were caught up in the dance." It's about people who don't get to reach their full potential because they let controlling people stop them from being free.

It has a line that's so evocative: "I wanna move out of the black, into the blue." I'm wondering what the black is and what the blue is.

Well, in my head, the black was negative thinking, and the blue was a bit of a retreat into nature. So visually, I was thinking the ocean, but also just the connotation of the words: I think of the sky, like a new horizon, something fresher.

What's the key to getting free?

I think going deeper, you know? Knowing that you're your own doorway to the answers and not looking for answers in other people.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:12 PM, Elle said:

She performed Get Free with band last night & also spoke about how the inspiration for this song was from the concept of a hero’s journey by Joseph Campbell.

"When I was writing that song, I had a little conversation with my engineer, who's one of my dear friends; his name's Kieron Menzies. And we were talking about this model they use in literature; sometimes it's called the Hero's Journey. And it starts with crossing the threshold of the ordinary world and moving to the main character's reveal of the heart. And then the character goes through all these different cycles; they battle the giant, they battle themselves, and then they come back and they find out who they really are. And so I liked that idea. I thought it sort of resembled my story. (Inaudible), I revealed my heart. And then the rest is a Mystery. All I'll say."

What did she say in the inaudible part?

On 5/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, shadesofcrazyforyou said:

“Like my part was, I was not discerning

And you, as we found out, were not in your right mind”

firefly-lane-tully-hart.gif

this is random but can someone please explain these lyrics 🙏 i seriously don’t understand “like my part was, i was not discerning” wtf does that mean

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

In my understanding of this song, it has always represented the themes of financial and creative freedom. I believe Lana wrote this song at a point when she realized she would never have to compromise her artistic vision for financial gain, thus becoming entirely autonomous in her creative endeavors. I perceive the first verse as an embodiment of this concept. Lana is symbolically transitioning from the "ordinary world" where people conform to their jobs for a paycheck, into the "reveal of her heart" – the realm where she can be the artist and person she truly desires to be without financial constraints. The lines "Undoubtedly/That will for certain/take the dead out of the sea/And the darkness from the arts" appear to address how this newfound artistic freedom may distance her from more casual fans ("the dead out of the sea") and "the darkness from the arts" dismisses allegations that her work is a product of industry manipulation (reminiscent of "sewing Frankenstein-ed black dreams into my songs" in 'Grandfather,' which also explores these themes).

The chorus seems self-explanatory, but the line "Gone is the burden of the Crowley way of being" in the second verse is particularly intriguing. Aleister Crowley was the founder of the occultist religion called Thelema, emphasizing the pursuit of one's true (pre-determined) purpose in life. When Lana mentions being "free of that burden," I interpret it as her liberation from the quest for a singular life purpose, enabling her to create, live, and find happiness – something that isn't always highly regarded in our contemporary societal structures, where you are expected to constantly be working towards something bigger and better than before. I've often seen Lana as something of a hedonist, and I believe this line also alludes to that aspect of her persona.

Just my late night ramblings :)

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift