Elle

Get Free

Was the appeal behind this song? 2nd worst track IMO. What a weak closing. Change would've been such a better closing for obvious reasoning. Just omit coachella and this and you have the perfect album

delete this shit rn sis, get free is her best song on this album after heroin

i will love you until the end of time.

Question... does everyone really think she sings "shut up" in the background? I think it would be really weird considering the rest of the lyrics, I always thought it was something more like "shoowap"?

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Question... does everyone really think she sings "shut up" in the background? I think it would be really weird considering the rest of the lyrics, I always thought it was something more like "shoowap"?

I’m positive that she isn’t saying “shut up” in this song (or in Lust for Life), and that it’s just shoo-wap’s

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Some of yall trying to dissect the reasoning behind her apparently saying "shut up / shut up" :deadbanana:

Why would she even be saying shut up? Common sense surely that it's just a doowop 60s ad lib thing like she did in LFL and brooklyn baby

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

She performed Get Free with band last night & also spoke about how the inspiration for this song was from the concept of a hero’s journey by Joseph Campbell.

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

So, last night she performed Get Free again with very nice band participation. Loved the rendition. But I noticed something interesting - when she sang "for Amy and for Whitney" she crossed her fingers, which usually means someone is telling a lie. I know it had been speculated that those two names were just place fillers for the actual names she cut out, but this gesture sort of confirms that.

(1:07)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBaMbOoHRQI

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

So, last night she performed Get Free again with very nice band participation. Loved the rendition. But I noticed something interesting - when she sang "for Amy and for Whitney" she crossed her fingers, which usually means someone is telling a lie. I know it had been speculated that those two names were just place fillers for the actual names she cut out, but this gesture sort of confirms that.

HA!! I’ve been saying this for the longest and people saying that I was being silly

Depends where you come from. For me it means :

- Luck

- Feeling very close to someone

- Lying (when you cross you fingers behind your back)

Yeah, I think that's what she really meant

or maybe she knows that every gay in the fandom will believe everything she says lmao my sis lana is smart and i agree with elle those names are just fillers for the live performance

i will love you until the end of time.

i think she meant a close bond. also, you hear the a- in amy and w- in whitney before they cut off if you listen closely to the track

Those song lyrics are so new age-magick-kitschy.

I'm not exactly a fan of the song, but the chorus is lovely. Very hopeful and inspiring. 

The rainbow metaphor is quite smart. I hope people haven't interpreted it in an anti-gay way  :creep:  :facepalm:

I'm glad that Amy and Whitney got cut out cause I could see people taking that as Lana comparing herself, riding coattails and hapring on her for that reason. 

i am nothing and should be everything

this is a total reach. but. there are two names in the thank you section of lust for life that stand out. "to misty & emma." thats it. so like what if these are the names from the part of the song that got removed. idk big reach, for all i know these are just people i don't know in her inner circle or whatever lmao

this is a total reach. but. there are two names in the thank you section of lust for life that stand out. "to misty & emma." thats it. so like what if these are the names from the part of the song that got removed. idk big reach, for all i know these are just people i don't know in her inner circle or whatever lmao

It's Father John Misty and his wife Emma Tillman

The 'censored' names in Get Free are Amy Winehouse & Whitney Houston, she sings them in the live renditions now sis

I don't know if this has been said before but now I realize why she says out of the black into the blue. So, we can kinda get she's envisioned a beach for the song! So, out of the black (beaches) into the blue (ocean) hence the bird sounds at the end of the song & probably why there's boat imagery in her merch. She's not in the black, she's sailing into the blue!

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif