Elle

Get Free

Can't we all agree that the lyrics are 

"Who never got to fly at night

'cause they were caught up in the dens"

rather than

"in the dance"

Dens makes sense, dance does not

I mean the birds of paradise are indeed known for their infamous mating dance or whatever

.....yes it does....?

How? 

This song is about Lana trying to get a more positive mindset.

She uses "dancing" as something good, positive, something optimistic in WTWWAWWKD. It makes no sense to use it as something that keeps you from flying. She used flying as a metaphor in I Can Fly as well, a song which is also about going to a more positive place.

Whereas "dens" makes sense. The birds are in the dens, caught up in there because they never managed to get out of their negative mindset. 

I never thought Lana references the real birds of paradise. 

I think that Lana references (close) friends who died/committed suicide and are now in Heaven, aka Paradise.

image.png

How? 

She uses "dancing" as something good, positive, something optimistic in WTWWAWWKD. It makes no sense to use it as something that keeps you from flying. She used flying as a metaphor in I Can Fly as well, a song which is also about going to a more positive place.

Whereas "dens" makes sense. The birds are in the dens, caught up in there because they never managed to get out of their negative mindset. 

I think that Lana references (close) friends who died/committed suicide and are now in Heaven, aka Paradise.

I mean Lana's most lyrics are kinda nonsensical so it could be "dance" just because it sounds pretty or whatever

How? 

Really confused by this lol. When have birds ever been in "dens." Dens are habitats for animals, yea, but birds have nests. Also...how would you be "caught up" in a den? Dens are mostly known as places of rest, so that doesn't really make any sense. 

Being caught up in a dance, on the other hand....

At her show tonight, Lana filled in the missing names with “Amy” & “Whitney” such as her collarbone tattoo states

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

At her show tonight, Lana filled in the missing names with “Amy” & “Whitney” such as her collarbone tattoo states

wait it it was no plot twist they're such icons what am i even saying omg

???, ?????????

:eyeroll: at Lana romanticizing dead celebs again. This reveal of the heart was better left unrevealed. I really didn't want to see the receipts.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

every time she sings 'and all my birds of paradise- who never got to fly at night, cause they were caught up in the dance' all i can see is this

j1kxOQm.gif

on topic: one of the best songs she's ever written, i know some people don't like how incoherent the verses can be and how loud her lizzy vocals are but i find it all the more endearing- she likes her songs to be lyrically polished n does several takes rather then hundreds; i find the unfinishedness fits with the whole transformation and change theme the latter half of the record has

i could write a whole thesis on the symbolism Get Free has within the inclusion of the passed starlets, to her lyricism evolution, her life story at play, the parallels between her songs- both deepcuts and her most known, everything down to the tone and feel and inspirations of the song I could write about why it means so much. means so much to her and myself. it means so much more to me personally than other songs, i have favorite songs and songs i correlate with memories but Get Free is different for me in that it's not related to a visual image, place, or memory like DMD (december nights in detroit) or TNC (rainy days on vacation) are; it's her first song i've ever taken as a goal or a checkpoint of where I want to be in life. 

I wanna be happier and glow, and i know life's changing but I don't have anything to relate this song to besides my endgoal. it's also why i care about Yosemite so much because to me it's this thing so unreachable yet so, so goddamn promising and enlightening. it's like the little temple on top of the mountain's peak that always has the sun shining on it right through the clouds- n i wanna get there and experience it goddamnit