RileyThomas

Rank Lana's Albums

On 4/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, loveyoumadly said:

I did not understand zefjhefhjz

Sorry. This is what I do:

1. Rank my favorite released Lana’s songs. So for example my current top ten is:

#1 OTTR

#2 Black Beauty

#3 A&W 

#4 NFR

#5 COCC

#6 Doin’ Time

#7 Cinnamon Girl

#8 Fuck It I Love You

#9 Cola

#10 Freak

2. Each of the ranked songs will have an amount of points which will be the same as their position on the ranking (so OTTR has one point, Black Beauty has two etc.)

3. Then I sum the points of the songs of the album I want to rank

4. Then I divide the sum of the points by the number of tracks in the album

5. Considering that the song I like the most has the lowest point (OTTR will have only one point) and the song I like the least has the highest point (For Free has 155 points I guess lol), then the album with the lowest score will be my favorite album and the album with the highest score will be my least favourite. this method takes a lot of work but it’s fun because you also make your top released songs from Lana and I think it’s pretty accurate :agree:

that being said, my ranking is:
1 - Ultraviolence

2 - Norman Fucking Rockwell

3 - Born To Die

4 - Honeymoon

5 - Lust For Life

6 - Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard

7 - Chemtrails Over the Country Club

8 - Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzie Grant

9 - Sirens

10 - Blue Banisters

#oldschoolfanwarning

1. Paradise - while it's not a perfect release, any album with Ride, Gods & Monsters, Cola, Body Electric is gonna top my list.  I wish she had included a few more songs of the era (Y&B etc) to make it a proper album and not just a BTD side-piece.

2. Ultraviolence - Probably her best proper album.  No skippable songs.

3. Honeymoon - Although the songwriting might be one notch below UV, the production is probably my favorite of her career.

4. Born to Die - uneven, but the highlights are still some of her best songs.

5. Lust for Life - also very uneven, but with a couple highlights (in my feelings, heroin)

6. Norman Fucking Rockwell - i'm not a fan of how this record sounds over-all, but there's a few highlights for me (fiily, the greatest, title-track)

7. Chemtrails - She was really losing me on this record.  A couple highlights, but I haven't gone back to the album since the first month it came out.

8. DYKTTATUOB - Listened to it once and haven't re-listened.  It's sad to see my connection with her music dying on the vine.

9. Blue Banisters - Listened once the day it came out, never listened again.

26vMNDz.gif

1 hour ago, ParadiseFreak said:

#oldschoolfanwarning

1. Paradise - while it's not a perfect release, any album with Ride, Gods & Monsters, Cola, Body Electric is gonna top my list.  I wish she had included a few more songs of the era (Y&B etc) to make it a proper album and not just a BTD side-piece.

2. Ultraviolence - Probably her best proper album.  No skippable songs.

3. Honeymoon - Although the songwriting might be one notch below UV, the production is probably my favorite of her career.

4. Born to Die - uneven, but the highlights are still some of her best songs.

5. Lust for Life - also very uneven, but with a couple highlights (in my feelings, heroin)

6. Norman Fucking Rockwell - i'm not a fan of how this record sounds over-all, but there's a few highlights for me (fiily, the greatest, title-track)

7. Chemtrails - She was really losing me on this record.  A couple highlights, but I haven't gone back to the album since the first month it came out.

8. DYKTTATUOB - Listened to it once and haven't re-listened.  It's sad to see my connection with her music dying on the vine.

9. Blue Banisters - Listened once the day it came out, never listened again.

I can relate to a lot of your points, especially 1, 6, and 8, and, to a lesser degree, 7, though it's been on OB that I feel my connection with breaking Lana for the first time, which is sad for me.

I know that artists don't necessarily progress and get better and better with each album, painting, play, film, poem, or book, but I can only relate in the most general way to songs like 'Sweet,' 'Margaret,' 'The Grants,' and 'Grandfather.' The distance from her material on early songs like 'Summertime Sadness' is what I loved--we even find it on 'late' unreleased tracks like 'Serene Queen'--but it seems that's a part of her artistry she's moved away from on OB.  

Of course, I respect her right to do whatever she wants to do, whatever she wants to explore, 100%. 

24 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I can relate to a lot of your points, especially 1, 6, and 8, and, to a lesser degree, 7, though it's been on OB that I feel my connection with breaking Lana for the first time, which is sad for me.

I know that artists don't necessarily progress and get better and better with each album, painting, play, film, poem, or book, but I can only relate in the most general way to songs like 'Sweet,' 'Margaret,' 'The Grants,' and 'Grandfather.' The distance from her material on early songs like 'Summertime Sadness' is what I loved--we even find it on 'late' unreleased tracks like 'Serene Queen'--but it seems that's a part of her artistry she's moved away from on OB.  

Of course, I respect her right to do whatever she wants to do, whatever she wants to explore, 100%. 

I kinda understand what you say… when I saw my ranking I remembered being disappointed with Lust For Life and thinking it was her worse album when it was released (considering the ones released by major label). I miss that time, she was so impeccable then

For me:

1. Lust for Life
  2. Chemtrails over the Country Club
  3. Norman Fucking Rockwell!
  4. Born to Die
  5. Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
  6. Honeymoon
  7. Ultraviolence
  8. Paradise
  9. Blue Banisters
  10. Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass
  11. A.K.A.
  12. Sirens

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

22 minutes ago, bia said:

I kinda understand what you say… when I saw my ranking I remembered being disappointed with Lust For Life and thinking it was her worse album when it was released (considering the ones released by major label). I miss that time, she was so impeccable then

I think, for better or worse, an artist presents a certain stance, especially at the beginning of their career, a persona, and this is true of musicians from Billie Holiday to Bob Dylan to Jeff Buckley to Beyonce and the boys from 21 Pilots. And that stance often changes for some artists--look how many personas Madonna has had--while other, more centered artists often maintain the same persona over the decades--like Prince or Bruce Springsteen. 

Lana has changed so much since BTD/P, and has every right to, as apparently she feels she's expressing herself more completely, genuinely, and honestly, something she seemingly needed to do to exorcise her demons. So much of OB is deeply personal, and presented as deeply personal, and that's the way I've received it. I get it, but for me, a lot of it is too subjective to be really interesting as songs, rather than poetry or diary entrees, things she's written completely for herself.

For example, learning the things we learn about her life in 'Fingertips' certainly excites a lot of her more emotional Stans, who say it makes them cry, or hits them so powerfully that they have to pull over to the side of the road to sob, but what about everyone else? The events are just sort of listed, they're not presented in a dramatic way like they were in 'Wildfire Wildflower.'  The music just sort of tinkles on; you can barely hum it. As I see it, and I know I'm in the minority here, just because these things happened to her doesn't make them necessarily interesting as presented. Who hasn't faced multiple tragedies and losses, or been victimized, including the suicide of loved ones? My best friend in high school, Steve, who I loved dearly, committed suicide just before his 23rd birthday, to name one example from my own life. 

And judging by the 'common events of day-to-day life' she's been singing about, I expect the next album to have song titles like 'Stretch Jeans,' 'Bathrobe,' 'Interviewing Maids,' 'Cinnamon Toast,' 'Lovin' That New Reality Show,'  'Having The Carburetor Fixed,' etc. 

it changes all the time for me and i love all her albums but i think this would be my ranking at the moment:

chemtrails over the country club

honeymoon

ultraviolence

did you know that there's a tunnel under ocean blvd

lana del ray aka lizzy grant

blue banisters

norman f**king rockwell!

born to die

lust for life

24928f7b69cee0fe13500ed529054686.gif

1. Ultraviolence will always be my favorite.  West Coast/Shades Of Cool/Money Power Glory/Flipside are some of my favorite songs of all time.

2. Honeymoon is criminally underrated.  The whole record just feels epic/monumental to me.  The Blackest Day is a monster of a song.

3. Born To Die had a massive influence on my music taste.  Summertime Sadness was my anthem in high school :flutter:.  Off To The Races might be her best song.  

4. NFR! shocked me because it felt like such a departure.  The Greatest makes me despondent but it's brilliant.  California is absurdly great.  Shoutout to Cinnamon Girl too.  

5. Is Paradise an album?  Eight (nine) songs feels more like an album than an EP to me.  Ride is undeniably one of her best pieces.  Gods & Monsters is an old favorite as well.  

6. Lust For Life is very nostalgic for me.  13 Beaches/Cherry/Heroin/Get Free are all career highlights.  

7. DYKTATUOB will probably go higher in my ranking with time.  I'm still digesting this one.  My jaw was on the floor the first time I heard A&W.  Excited to hear some of these songs live.  

8. COTCC is not my favorite album but Yosemite is beautiful song.  Tulsa Jesus Freak is also a gem.

9. Blue Banisters is not a bad album but it is NOT my cup of tea.  Dealer and Thunder are lovely.  Nectar Of The Gods is probably my favorite Ultraviolence reject.  

Just because COTCC/BB are low in my ranking doesn't mean I hate them.  I bought both of them.  I'll always support her art even if I don't love the direction she's taking.  

I didn't include AKA in my ranking since it was released under a different stage name.  Also I haven't really listened to it enough :biblio:, I need to work on that!

I  was such a big Ultraviolence ride or die but... 

When I listened to DYK literally the second it released, I was nearly in tears. It was everything I wanted and more. My #1 favorite by far. 

~    fantasia-seductive.gif ~

1. Ocean blvd/ NFR are her best - no skips, greatest lyrics and  vibes throughout these records are just something else. Like VB, A&W, Hope, Mariners, The greatest, Fingertips, Paris Texas shit’s on anything that was released before. As a fan since 2013 I feel like her artistry and creativity has evolved so much that it almost reaches pink floyd’s music and I really think her magnum opus will come even later because she’s just getting deeper and deeper.

2. honeymoon 

3. chemtrails

4. Ultraviolence (even tho a lot of the songs are a skip for me, especially second half)

5. Blue banisters

anything from here is more generic and mediocre Lana that I really loved while these records were released but her creative progress and writing has made these albums sound primitive and boring:

6. Lust for life

7. Paradise

8. Born to die (her most generic piece of shit) sorry not sorry

I am going to TRY and rank Lana albums:

*remember this is my opinion and everyone can have their own, but play nice :kiss3:

My favorite:                                                   

1. Lust For Life
  2. Norman Fucking Rockwell
  3. Honeymoon
  4. Blue Banisters
  5. Ocean Blvd
  6. Born to Die
  7. Ultraviolence
  8. Chemtrails
  9. Paradise

Her Best Work:

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell
  2. Ocean Blvd 
  3. Honeymoon
  4. Blue Banisters
  5. Ultraviolence
  6. Lust for Life
  7. Born to Die
  8. Paradise
  9. Chemtrails (except White Dress and title track)

thanks for coming to my ted talk, leave thoughts below...:dmd:

ULTRAVIOLENCE 

HONEYMOON 

BORN TO DIE 

LUST FOR LIFE

CHEMTRAILS OVER THE COUNTRY CLUB

NORMAN FUCKIN ROCKWELL

DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS A TUNNEL UNDER OCEAN BOULEVARD  

BLUE BANISTERS

Almost like a track list 

This is my list

Ultraviolence