Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

251 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

An iconic album that reminds me of my teenage years before adulthood . I remember listening to it with my best friend and her putting summer bummer as her phone ringtone and thinking how cool we wereΒ :flutter::flutter:

Β 

Β 

π‘³π’Šπ’‡π’† π’Šπ’” π’ƒπ’†π’‚π’–π’•π’Šπ’‡π’–π’ 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’šπ’π’– 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

ive always loved this album. i know sometimes it seems messy n all over the place but it is truly an amazing record. i love all of the sounds n topics lana tapped into. there’s something for everyone honestly. happy b-day girly we love youΒ :kiss:

Still to this day rarely touch in my feelings or coachella... what wastesΒ of potential. If she wouldve swapped them with Yosemite / TNBAR the record would be one of her bestΒ 

Β 

Β 

Heroin turned out to be one of the best songs of her career so far and made me yearnΒ for more destitute psychedelia. I will always believed GBA / WTWWAWWKD shouldve gotten a clever double feature video in Black & White, and Cherry music video deserves to see the light of day!

Happy birthday to this misunderstood gem!! I've always thought it's lack of cohesion is what makes it narratively cohesive. It's like a journey across worlds, from one sound to another, as Lana transitioned into a new musical realm of her career. I think it's beautifully realized from start to finish.

Β 

This album also came out ten days after my dad died and I was feeling really weird and not myself at all until I went to the beach and listened to the album for the first time. It truly brought me back to myself, and I'll never forget the sense of peace and relief I felt as the ocean sounds at the end of Get Free closed the album.Β 

Β 

happy birthday lust for life!!! I'm so sorry this fandom shits on you all the time even though you're supposed to be lana's gift for the fans,Β you're one of my favs, it really was a gift!!

Β 

underrated, iconic, full of stories, cohesive in its own way, a gem that gave us some of lana's best tracks, beautiful cover, beautiful length, nice collabs, sexy bops, beautiful music videos and aesthetic, rick nowels, dean reid andΒ emile hayne

Β 

finally I'm crossing the treshold from the ordinary worldΒ :wub:

Β 

ColossalSpiritedDartfrog-max-1mb.gif

1.jpgΒ  3.jpgΒ Β 2.jpgΒ 

Happy birthday, Lust for LifeΒ :wub:

Β 

What an overlooked and beautiful album. Every summer around this time, I feel so drawn to this record. It feels like the middle of a hot July day, just doing your day to day things.Β 

Β 

My favorite songs are Love, Heroin, Change, Get Free, Lust for Life, White Mustang, Cherry, 13 Beaches, Tomorrow Never Came and Coachella. I have nothing but good memories attached to LFL.Β 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I askedΒ Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.Β 

Β 

Happy birthday, Lust for Life! What an amazing record, one that I think helped solidify Lana’s status as one of the greatest songwriters of all time. I really admire all of the heart and soul she put into the record, which is ultimately reflected in its diverse sonic landscape and classicallyΒ LanaΒ feel.Β Β Its lyricism is true to Lana’s creative identity but isΒ fresh in its clarity of inner dialogue and reflection of global affairs. And the memories I have attached to it are forever dearΒ to me - it reminds me of mid-July, hot summertime β˜€οΈ?
Β 

Heroin is myΒ favourite song from the record and remains one of Lana’s most brilliantΒ tracks, as well as one of myΒ favourite songs of all time. Can’tΒ believe it’s already been 4 years! ??

Wow, happy 4th birthday Lust for Life! This record was released smack-dab in the middle of the absolute best time of my life. Knowing that was 4 years ago just puts into perspective how quickly time has flown by.Β I remember flying back to London to see Lana during one of the LFL promo shows just 3 days after the album had been released, and it's still one of my favourite Lana shows I've ever seen. It was also the first time I got to meet Lana during a show, which was so special. What a crazy, surreal time.

Although this album isn't the most popular among fans, it's still my second favourite Lana record.Β It has so many songs that I adore and that have such special meanings to me.

Β 

I made a whole short film just for fun with a filmmaker friend of mine while I was living in BrooklynΒ centered around 13 Beaches and that iconic line - "I've been dying for something real." If I ever get brave enough to want a tattoo, I'd want Lana to write out a lyric from that song for me.

Β 

The album also fosters Cherry, the iconic sexy bop! You can still find me doing the choreo while I'm drunk with my friends.

Β 

I know it isn't a fan favourite, but Tomorrow Never Came is still my second favourite song from that record. Such a heartfelt beautiful song that still makes me cry.

Β 

The title track, Love.. still have PTSD from when her managerΒ Ed called me the second I returned home from a night out at the Cheesecake Factory freaking out that Love had leaked on LanaBoards. Still the craziest phone callΒ I've ever received in my life.

Β 

I remember when Lana posted the video of her recording ChangeΒ in the studio while I was high out of my mind with some friends. I yelled for them all to shut up and we sat there in silence watching that video over and over on loop until one of my poor friends was like, "Does this ever end?" Such a funny moment, but it was really hypnotising in that moment.

Β 

Heroin - what an incredible song. One of her best. This song really helped guide me during a pivotal moment in 2017. Again, while it was the best time of my life, there definitely were its ups and downs (which seem so trivial now looking back on it, knowing I faced much worse in the following years.) I moved to Brooklyn NY during this time, which was a decision I wasn't completely sure about, knowing I'd be leaving so many things behind, including a budding acting career I had begun that year as well as a possible relationship that was about to form. That line "I want to leave, I'll probably stay another year.Β It's hard to leave when absolutely nothing's clear" really made me think introspectively about the decisions I was making and really lead me to follow my heart and not my head.

Β 

Speaking of that relationship, In My Feelings literally summed up that whole situation PERFECTLY. "Get that cigarette smoke out of my face!Β You've been wasting my time while you're taking what's mineΒ with the things that you're doing." All my friends who know about that situation also joke about the parallels from that situation to that song. (Dating a chain-smoking gold-digger is no fun.)

Β 

& of course, Get Free - what a perfect way to end that record. Definitely one of her best album closers, and one of her best pieces of songwriting. "There's no more chasing rainbows and hoping for an end to them.Β Their arches are illusions, solid at first glance.Β But then you try to touch them, there's nothing to hold on to. The colours used to lure you in, and put you in a trance." Brilliant.

Β 

So many other favourites of mine from that record too.. When The World Was at War, God Bless America, Groupie Love, Summer Bummer.. I feel like I have a story tied to every single one of these songs that immediately pop into my head, but I'm just rambling here and I'm getting all emotional reminiscing on the beautiful year for me that was 2017Β and this gorgeous album that served as the soundtrack of my life during that time.

Β 

I spent my morning going through some old concert clips I had taken of Lust for Life songs, and I posted some up on my Instagram story @xmissdaytona if anyone follows me there. I miss everything about that era, but probably just because it came during my best year. God, I'd do anything to go back to 2017.

Β 

I thank this albumΒ so much for all it's done for me - all the memories, all the guidance, all the inspiration. Love you, Lust for Life. Love you, Lana.

Β 

xx

Β 

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

β€’Β 4.18.14Β β€’Β 5.1.14Β β€’ 9.20.14Β β€’ 5.28.15Β β€’ 6.14.15Β β€’ 7.28.16Β β€’ 7.24.17Β β€’ 10.23.17Β β€’ 10.24.17Β β€’ 1.25.18Β β€’ 2.5.18Β β€’ 12.5.18Β β€’ 10.3.19Β β€’ 10.11.19Β β€’ 11.16.19 β€’

SFΒ β€’Β ATLΒ β€’Β ATLΒ β€’Β INDΒ β€’Β ATLΒ β€’Β CHIΒ β€’Β LDNΒ β€’Β NYCΒ β€’Β NYCΒ β€’Β DCΒ β€’ ATLΒ β€’ NYCΒ β€’ PDXΒ β€’ SANΒ β€’ KS

Β 

7 hours ago, Contemplating God said:

What an overlooked and beautiful album. Every summer around this time, I feel so drawn to this record. It feels like the middle of a hot July day, just doing your day to day things.Β 

Β 

Exactly.Β :wub:

––

Β 

Happy birthday Lustie! You remind me of such a beautiful summer and have some of my favorite Lana songs ever. What a beautiful turn in Lana's discography.Β 

8V7Yvel.png

this album evokes so much emotion, it’s like a rollercoaster in the best way possible. people don’t appreciate it as much because it lacks the sense of aΒ β€œbody of work” all her other albums have but i appreciate that there’s something for everyone in this and i feel like every section of it transitions well into the next. the wide variety of genresΒ represents each emotion she’s trying to convey from the aggression of cherry, white mustang and in my feelings accompanied by the hard hitting hip hop beats to the shoe-gaze inspiredΒ whimsical production of tomorrow never came, heroin, get free which represent escapism and letting go of the past.Β 

Β 

as a whole the album feels like it’sΒ a symbol of liberation and i always look back at having good memories with it.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

I know her web storesΒ haveΒ become funky with the redirecting to the village, but does anyone know how to get to the link that allows me to buy the LFL box set? I think they still have a few hundred of those as of right before Chemtrails release preΒ village. Thank you in advance if you can help!!

30 minutes ago, Distantly said:

I know her web storesΒ haveΒ become funky with the redirecting to the village, but does anyone know how to get to the link that allows me to buy the LFL box set? I think they still have a few hundred of those as of right before Chemtrails release preΒ village. Thank you in advance if you can help!!

omg same, pls someone link us

Β 

giphy.gif

Because time is deeply unreal I remembered the lyrics to HeroinΒ I’m getting on the airplane leaving my old man again… I Really CHANGED Β while at the airport moving toΒ Β a different state after an intense life moment. I even posted it as a facebook status. The kicker? That was in 2016 and I hadn’t heard the song yet. I felt intense deja vu when LFL came out and I realized where that deeply moving bridge was from. Burnt Norton Indeed.

Β 

Anyway LFL is amazing. It deserves only love.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

a recurring topic of discussion here is lana lyrics which sound like two different things, such as "soft ice cream"/"soft i scream" in salvatore, or "live-stream"/"life's dream" in the greatest, i think "heroin" also has this, the lyric "i really changed" also sounds a lot like "i rarely changed" i can't say this was intentional, i just think it's interesting, since they are basically opposites in meaning, heroin is such a powerful song and i think both interpretations work very well with the meaning and the depth of the song <3

#lana del rey from NFR!Β Β #lana del rey from NFR!Β Β #lana del rey from NFR!

Here's my rank

Β 

Key

Top God tier trinity

Honourable Mention trinity

Center-average tier

Good songs I don't always vibe with tier

Songs that I'm ok with forgetting tier

Songs I want erased from existence tier

Β 

1. 13 Beaches
  2. Cherry
  3. Get Free
  4. When the World WasΒ at War we Kept Dancing
  5. Change
  6. Summer Bummer
  7. Groupie Love
  8. White Mustang
  9. Love
  10. Coachella
  11. Heroin
  12. In My Feelings
  13. God Bless America
  14. Lust for Life
  15. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
  16. Tomorrow Never Came

Last.FMΒ |Β DiscogsΒ |Β Letterboxd

fUsMzFd.jpeg

I revisited this album yesterday while playing Animal Crossing and I felt so at home. I've criticised this album a lot but it really is special to me and rather than making me feel sad and nostalgic like all of Lana's previous albums, itΒ makes me think of how far I've come.Β 

I think it was because it came out while I was on a break after finishing my university degree and was happy just being free for a few months, finally on my first break ever, not knowing what I was doing yet and not putting that pressure on myself. So listening to LFL connects me back to how my life has unfolded since then, in career, social life and most of all my world inside.Β 

I also listened to this album a lotΒ playing the CD in my car as I drove every second weekend to see my boyfriend who lived 1.5 hrsΒ away. Because of that, LFL also makes me think of trying to get back home where I feel comfortable and safe (anywhere my bf is). And it makes me contemplate how my life is going and helps me try to quietΒ down my fears and anxieties.Β 

Β