Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

251 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

On 9/22/2021 at 7:09 AM, lanabanana11 said:

question, where would Next Best American Record and Yosemite fit in the tracklist had she not scraped them?

I want to make a playlist with as close to the original order as possible !

I'd put Yosemite behind TNC and TNBAR after Cherry

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I have been thinking about how the earliest concept of Lust for Life was, in Lana’s mind, potentially an exploration of fame and what being an artist means to her—

The Next Best American Record (Early Version) 

The demo of this song is very much the thesis statement for what this record could have been trying to say. She is speaking to herself when she says “you did it all for fame” in the choruses, and she seems to be asking herself, “tell me how life treats you now” — I think this track is very much subconsciously a reaction to the immediate criticism she received from Born to Die, and then how that criticism was exacerbated and had evolved into personal attacks regarding her values and character upon Ultraviolence’s release, and then the invasions of privacy she wrote about on Honeymoon (and then the ones after it was released). To me, “the next best American Record” in question is Born to Die, so this track is retrospective. 

On & On & On

This track kind of feeds off of TNBAR and sees Lana reflect on her legacy and vow to die only in California and to let her songs be the thing that lives on and on and on. She’s lamenting on fame here, now that “all [her] secrets are out” and “all the lies are out too”. It’s almost post-humous, which makes it a bit bittersweet and eerie. 

13 Beaches 

This song, as we know, further deals with the invasions of privacy that accompany fame. 

Heroin

I think this song sees Lana reconcile the weight of fame and the troubling realities of her own personal life, which she links a bit to the troubling realities of California’s history. There are too many things to say about it, but I think everyone can gather how important of a song it is and the relevance of the references to Manson, Topanga, and the titular drug. 

Lust for Life (Demo 1)

This song, as we know, sees Lana a bit restless, perhaps from the weight of fame and the realities of life. She describes herself as a “wild caged animal” which seems fitting for anyone who has had a life in the spotlight. But she asserts her “lust for life” and moves forward, which transitions into the themes of the next few songs nicely. 

Yosemite 

This song, as we know, sees Lana want to do things for the right reasons and for the sake of living authentically — which is a direct response to TNBAR, and kind of resolves the conflict she faces a bit in On & On & On. 

Love
This song, as we know, sees Lana centre her music and art in the young people that consume it. It’s a more universal sentiment that I think offers another perspective to Lana’s approach as an artist, that she explores in the aforementioned songs. 

Get Free/Malibu

I think Lana must have always known that this song would be the closer to the album, at every stage it underwent. It’s a perfect manifesto and commitment to breaking free of the dark and isolating things that accompany fame.

I love Lust for Life as it is, but I really think the earliest vision Lana had for it was a further lamentation on fame that took sonic and lyrical direction from Honeymoon.

I’m thinking of getting this record pressed, on my own, in two parts. One folkier and more traditional to the original direction, and the other the more pop and final direction! 

Spoiler

LP1
Best American Record (Demo)

Serene Queen

Cherry

The Americana Interlude (White Mustang Video Outro)

Lust For Life (Demo)

God Bless America

When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing

Heroin

Tomorrow Never Came (Demo)

Wild One

LP2

Thirteen Beaches

Lust For Life (ft. The Weeknd)

Stargirl Interlude

Prisoner (ft. The Weeknd)

White Mustang

Groupie Love (ft. A$AP Rocky)

If I Die Young

Change

Young And In Love

Get Free

Summer Bummer - Stand-alone 7”

don’t come at me for stargirl and prisoner, they sort of fit the theme and I prefer them 100% to Coachella, in my feelings, etc!

On 8/16/2021 at 6:01 PM, The Siren said:

Here's my rank

Key

Top God tier trinity

Honourable Mention trinity

Center-average tier

Good songs I don't always vibe with tier

Songs that I'm ok with forgetting tier

Songs I want erased from existence tier

1. 13 Beaches
  2. Cherry
  3. Get Free
  4. When the World Was at War we Kept Dancing
  5. Change
  6. Summer Bummer
  7. Groupie Love
  8. White Mustang
  9. Love
  10. Coachella
  11. Heroin
  12. In My Feelings
  13. God Bless America
  14. Lust for Life
  15. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
  16. Tomorrow Never Came

i think this is my feelings now :oopna2:

Key

Top God tier trinity

Honourable Mention trinity

Center-average tier

Good songs I don't always vibe with tier

Songs that I'm ok with forgetting tier

Songs I want erased from existence tier

1. 13 Beaches
  2. Cherry
  3. Get Free
  4. Change
  5. When the World Was at War we Kept Dancing
  6. Summer Bummer
  7. Heroin
  8. Groupie Love
  9. White Mustang
  10. Love
  11. Coachella
  12. In My Feelings
  13. Lust for Life
  14. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
  15. God Bless America
  16. Tomorrow Never Came

was bored so i made my own LFL tracklist (basically the original with songs taken out & songs put in)

Spoiler
  1. Love
  2. Lust for Life
  3. 13 Beaches
  4. The Next Best American Record (original version)
  5. Cherry
  6. Serene Queen
  7. Summer Bummer (alt version)
  8. Groupie Love
  9. WTWWAWWKD
  10. Tomorrow Never Came (alt version)
  11. Yosemite
  12. Lust for Life (Reprise) (used the 1st LFL demo)
  13. Heroin
  14. If I Die Young
  15. Get Free

qfrWuBl.png

24 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

was bored so i made my own LFL tracklist (basically the original with songs taken out & songs put in)

Hide contents
  1. Love
  2. Lust for Life
  3. 13 Beaches
  4. The Next Best American Record (original version)
  5. Cherry
  6. Serene Queen
  7. Summer Bummer (alt version)
  8. Groupie Love
  9. WTWWAWWKD
  10. Tomorrow Never Came (alt version)
  11. Yosemite
  12. Lust for Life (Reprise) (used the 1st LFL demo)
  13. Heroin
  14. If I Die Young
  15. Get Free

i love this! this is her one album that i can’t stand and never listen to so im gonna listen to it like this and hope it makes me care for it 

giphy.gif

I think it's always been meant to be like an anthology of her work so far, and what her career could've gone to, but it's just the strangest most ironic thing that this album was for the fans and it kinda imploded in regards to the majority of her more serious fanbase. always loved this record because for me, it was meant to be more fun, so glad that others are kinda seeing it's value easier now. 

UV/Honeymoon

God tier

none

Top tier

1. Change

2. Cherry

3. White Mustang (this used to be my favorite off the album for YEARS but I overplayed it to death)

4. Heroin

Mid tier

5. Summer Bummer

6. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems

7. Tomorrow Never Came

8. Coachella

Always Skip

9. Lust for Life

10. 13 Beaches

11. Love

12. Groupie Love

13. God Bless America

14. When the World Was at War

15. In My Feelings

16. Get Free (I recognize this is objectively better than a lot of the songs above it, but I’ve NEVER vibed with it and basically have always skipped from like Day 2)

———————————

I find it really interesting, because this album really clicked with me when it came out. Like I really enjoyed it. But now, I find a lot of it to be very cringey, inauthentic, and cheap sounding (sorry Lana, I hate to trash someone else’s work like this, especially one of my favorite artists). 

I’ve had a really hard time clicking with COTCC and BB since their release, yet I find them to be easier to listen to, more mature, more likable, and just better crafted. But every time I go to rank the albums, I tend to rate LFL higher the other two albums. I guess that won’t be happening from now on.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

Here's my LFL ranking, as someone who has been a proclaimed LFL stan since it was released

1. Heroin

2. Heroin

3. did I mention Heroin?

In all seriousness, though, here's my actual ranking:

1. Heroin 

2. Get Free

3. 13 Beaches

4. Change

5. Cherry

6. Groupie Love

7. In My Feelings

8. God Bless America

9. Tomorrow Never Came

10. Summer Bummer

11. When The World Was At War

12. Love

13. Lust for Life

14. White Mustang

15. Coachella

16. Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems

imageproxy.jpg

The Beautiful People demo never fails to make me cry. I understand she didn’t want this album to be super depressing, but God this version is absolutely amazing and heartbreaking. Really convinced it might be one of her saddest songs ever. :true:

I adore this album so much. From the unreleased songs, to the demos, to the released songs, to the photo shoots, to the whole vibe and aesthetic. The only thing that could make it better is adding If I Die Young and Best American Record. Listening to the title track just fills me with bliss. It’s like that short rush you get whenever you make the decision to make a positive change in your life and being prepared for a happier beginning. It’s been almost 5 years but it still feels like I was replaying those White Mustang snippets just  yesterday :wub:

Yes, it’s midnight and I’m sitting awake on my phone typing a book about how much I love an album. So what? :silly:

giphy.gif 

This album is comically underrated and misunderstood. A chaotic goodbye to the world of pop music and an entrance to a folkier sound, this album is an exploration of all her sounds as she settles into what's clearly true to her heart.

Spoiler

Heroin is one of the greatest songs of all time from any artist btw :true:

Thinking about the themes of LFL — I really love the way she contrasts the sentiments of Yosemite to the original version of The Next Best American Record. 

We did it for fun, we did it for free

When I was young till eternity 

versus

You did it all for fame

Tell me how life treats you now that it’s over 

That direct parallel between doing things for the joy of them vs. doing things for the commercialization of it all, and then going on to characterize the former as timeless and withstanding time, but the latter as eventually having an expiration date (being “over”), is genius. I am fully convinced that—as much as I love the final album—whatever vision she had for LFL when the title track was that first version of TNBAR would have been her most lyrically and existentially poignant following the themes of Honeymoon. This record probably would have directly confronted her stance as an artist, and as a famous person.  

My own "Lust for Life" album arrangement in iTunes Library

xHAVXIR.jpg
beYHj3Q.jpg

1l0dzHu.jpg

*Included "Serene Queen" & "Lust for Life Reprise" as bonus tracks. With L4L album trailer monologue being "album intro" & White Mustang MV outro being an intermission/interlude track

20 tracks for a "celebration of life" album - why not?

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

4 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

Thinking about the themes of LFL — I really love the way she contrasts the sentiments of Yosemite to the original version of The Next Best American Record. 

We did it for fun, we did it for free

When I was young till eternity 

versus

You did it all for fame

Tell me how life treats you now that it’s over 

That direct parallel between doing things for the joy of them vs. doing things for the commercialization of it all, and then going on to characterize the former as timeless and withstanding time, but the latter as eventually having an expiration date (being “over”), is genius. I am fully convinced that—as much as I love the final album—whatever vision she had for LFL when the title track was that first version of TNBAR would have been her most lyrically and existentially poignant following the themes of Honeymoon. This record probably would have directly confronted her stance as an artist, and as a famous person.  

Did we ever find out why she left TNBAR off of LFL? I know she filmed a music video for it and everything.