Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

2 minutes ago, your dealer said:

Tomorrow never came is literally one of my favorite songs ever. I don’t expect anyone to understand. 

the hate it gets is absolutely undeserved 

"Don’t forget me"

10 minutes ago, NikoGo said:

the hate it gets is absolutely undeserved 

It’s beautiful, like WM, 13B, Heroin, Cherry, BPBP, SB, WTWWATWKOD, GBA, and so on.

It really showed how varied her songwriting can be, and it seemed to move outward instead of inward like UV and HM. 

I love Sean on the song but I like the demo’s bridge more. It’s so heartbreaking and hopeless,  and it’s completely lost in the “now I’m singing with Sean” version 

"Don’t forget me"

i definitely like the LFL we got and there are some songs where the final is better than the demos, but a lot of the demos i definitely enjoy more (tomorrow never came being a good example)

i actually like sean lennon quite a bit and i do enjoy him on the song as well but i do agree with @NikoGo that the demo's bridge just hits harder

same with LFL (the song) & the so good demo where i feel like they hit harder than the album versions; not that the album versions are bad whatsoever but they just lack an oomph that the demos have

this is more of a minor nitpick though rather than a serious criticism of the album because it's still a very solid and good album :true:
(bolding that because i know people will take some of the words i've said out of context)

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

7 hours ago, clementines said:

most of the hate i gave this album was unwarranted and it's now one of m faves (ik i SUCK :/) , but i will never forgive her for changing that og space witch theme...

Yeah, the space theme could have been more present and the songs that do contain it are my fave from this album. 
LFL is more diverse than her previous works (nobody can argue with that), but I guess that the fact that it followed her most cohesive album to date (HM,

on par with COCC) sure didn’t help also. 

anyways, I’ll always love LFL because of it was a summer album and I was bit all over the place, so I didn’t mind the large spectrum that was happening on it. 

On 8/6/2017 at 3:02 PM, Thoth said:

It's strange that my mind always try to find dark meanings in songs. Maybe, I'm yearning for it. I always thought Swan Song as a suicidal song and someone is calling me to end this life and I imagine a woman, maybe woman of my dreams walking through bushes at the shore to the sea with her white tennis shoes. Now I see Get Free this way. It's actually a song with positive meaning: starting a new life. It should be, but no. I cannot see it this way. "Move out of the black, into the blue". I heard that when someone decides to take his life, he feels happy because he finally feels free. When I'll decide to move out of the black, i will head to the blues. Again a vision of walking to the sea and never coming back. Getting out of this prison called life and finally getting free.

I think about this after 5 years, and what Lana said in an interview about the Swan Song

(and this was my first post in this forum)

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

On 8/6/2017 at 3:02 PM, Thoth said:

It's strange that my mind always try to find dark meanings in songs. Maybe, I'm yearning for it. I always thought Swan Song as a suicidal song and someone is calling me to end this life and I imagine a woman, maybe woman of my dreams walking through bushes at the shore to the sea with her white tennis shoes. Now I see Get Free this way. It's actually a song with positive meaning: starting a new life. It should be, but no. I cannot see it this way. "Move out of the black, into the blue". I heard that when someone decides to take his life, he feels happy because he finally feels free. When I'll decide to move out of the black, i will head to the blues. Again a vision of walking to the sea and never coming back. Getting out of this prison called life and finally getting free.

well this is depressing :bebe:

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

11 hours ago, Thoth said:

I think about this after 5 years, and what Lana said in an interview about the Swan Song

(and this was my first post in this forum)

i feel like i also have a dark interpretations like that for i talk to jesus and aviation, i've never thought of get free that way, but i could see that for swan song, it seems like that song could be really deep and complex, especially considering that it's towards the end of the album (it could be interpreted as the true closing-track, while dlmbm could be seen as the "ending-credits" of the album) also how cinematic it is

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

6 minutes ago, SummerDrummer said:

Does anyone know if the final photo used for the lust for life album cover is an edit? As in lana was cut out from a different photo and edited into the car one? 

I’ve seen this theory bandied about over the years, but don’t really believe it myself because there’s no proof to support it. It’s all just speculation. 

I think it’s because people saw that the Coachella - Woodstock in My Mind single cover was in front of a wood wall and assumed that every single shot of her taken on set of the Love video was in front of that wall too — but there are three shots of her outdoors with proper, natural lighting from that day, and Lana herself even said in her Complex interview that it was taken in the “parking lot behind the scenes of [her] Love video”. So I personally think it’s real! 

What intrigues me most about the release of Lust For Life is that, when you look back, the album seems so accurate to the time period it was released. I can't explain it, but the album captures the atmosphere of 2017/2018 a lot. Years later we faced a pandemic and witnessed wars, which makes that time still seem OK in comparison.

But there was something in the air - oh, gosh :oic2:- that made me feel uneasy about the world, and suddenly, all of Lana's positive words made sense to me and were necessary - when, previously, it had felt like hype and hysteria.

At the same time, there were so many fun tracks to entertain us. I don't know, but it seemed like she knew a sad album wasn't appropriate at that time.

Lust for life is a gem.

And it was really fucking hot.