Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

252 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

It probably was originally, which is why Lana said it was so dark, but then she realized that if she didn't provide an optimistic response that it wouldn't contribute to anything positive and would be too negative.

I thought about that as well and it makes me so sad we may never hear the original version  :rollin: same goes for the cuts in Get Free, I need to know what they never got the chance FOR

Maybe I am just getting really old already, but I swear you need like 3 pairs of ears to understand 90% of what lana is saying in In My Feelings. I looked up the lyrics and was amazed people could transcribe the song. especially during the bridge, i swear i am just listening to her vocalizing. 

(she sounds really nice in it, still don't understand a damn thing tho)

Lmao I love that she shades Barrie in In My Feelings too.

"Fell for ANOTHER loser"

girlll, she could be talking about anyone here, not necessarily Barrie. It's more likely it's about Franny or a past bf from ages ago. Even though Lana's relationship with Barrie was likely quite rocky towards the end, I think she still has a lot of respect for him and I doubt she thinks of him as a "loser", just a man with mental health issues who wasn't good for Lana in the end.

What's it about?

It seems like its about the dark side of California. I assume heroin is used as a metaphor for the city being a drug, she references Charles Manson twice, she mentions his influence in the town, how people are drawn to him there. Theyre very dark lyrics, i just dont know if shes writing about it in past or present tense.

It seems like its about the dark side of California. I assume heroin is used as a metaphor for the city being a drug, she references Charles Manson twice, she mentions his influence in the town, how people are drawn to him there. Theyre very dark lyrics, i just dont know if shes writing about it in past or present tense.

:eartha:

girlll, she could be talking about anyone here, not necessarily Barrie. It's more likely it's about Franny or a past bf from ages ago. Even though Lana's relationship with Barrie was likely quite rocky towards the end, I think she still has a lot of respect for him and I doubt she thinks of him as a "loser", just a man with mental health issues who wasn't good for Lana in the end.

He's just the first one that came to mind considering BAR's lyrics and that interview where she said that frontmen are selfish and put their needs first but you're right, it could've been about anyone. I totally forgot that she had a thing with Francesco. Didn't mean to attack Barrie's mental health/depression.

Barrie is not a loser he had depression

Isn't it common for people to joke around saying their exes are losers. Didn't mean to attack his depression in any way.

I've listened to the album several times through now and I actually like it. I don't think it's her best album, (BTD=UV>HM>LFL) but TNC is amazing. I think the songs flow well as a whole, (even Coachella) but most aren't strong individually. I don't know why I always see a connection with Barrie in her music, but I noticed:

TNC:

I waited for you

In the spot you said to wait

In the city, on a park bench

In the middle of the pouring rain

'Cause I adored you

I just wanted things to be the same

You said to meet me there tomorrow

But tomorrow never came

'See her smiling' Barrie James O'Neill:

Out under the stars, I'm waiting for something

Something that's new - maybe you?

The girl that's in the park, batting her eyelids

Waiting for you, this is true

There's other signs this song is clearly about Lana (mention of tabloids and paps).

Don't have an interpretation for TNC yet, but the song I associate with Barrie on L4L is Heroin on the basis of airflight references, which could just as easily refer to Barrie uprooting himself to go to LA, as much as LDR going to the UK. He didn't leave Kassidy for LDR, but because of artistic difference (other members of the band now forming a power funk group "White"). Barrie "dropped a record" called Cold Coffee between HM and L4L (although I don't think he ever drove a White Mustang) . That album, is undoubtedly a break-up record (albeit a tasteful,  non-dissful one, concentrating on his feelings). A song called "Angel Tears" on his album also has a reference to flying to the moon (in common with Heroin). I still scratch my head about the Manson references in Heroin, although Barrie does follow his song "I see her smiling", which you mention, with "murder murder" on his album. Both artists have expressed respect, and/or long-distance affection, for each other (either in interviews or tweets) after the breakup.