Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

251 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

But ya'll how can you be doing Cruel World dirty like this? The chorus and the screaming towards the end is so goood! "FUCKING CRAZAAAAY OHHHHHH" is better than "I'VE REALLY CHAAAAANGED" :crossed:

I love cruel world to death, and I love heroin too, but can't deny it really could use some more power. But as for the "I've really changed" part..it's probably the line that hit me the most out the whole album. It made my chest so tight and eyes watery. Cruel world could never

"And when you see my face on every billboard and TV screen, you'll regret the day you walked away" :lanahairflip3: :legend:

Okay friends. First of all, happy 5️⃣0️⃣0️⃣.

K I'm ready

ready for what

can someone explain to me why they like the song Heroin? i'm trying to see the light but it's just not connecting with me, though i'd like to hear other people's perspectives

like, which parts of the song is your fav and why?

let me break down some reasons as to why I love it personally

• in terms of the placement, it makes all the difference- it starts off the final three tracks, all revolving around the idea of change. i see it as Heroin being the admission to the problem, she recognizes she needs to change; Change being the motivation, the desire to go- and Get Free taking the torch of desire and carrying it to a promise and commitment to herself & her surroundings. 
  • i love how cold and hollow it sounds, it reminds me of the aftereffects of a heavy emotional scenario in which you or the person that just got off the episode is dying down, cooling off, fairly numb to their senses. 
  • the lyrics are great, not saying LfL is bad lyrically but i personally didn't see many similar stanzas throughout LfL with previous work until Heroin (Love fits too just not sonically). the verses are written so, so nice. the 'Topanga's hot tonight, the city- by the bay. has movie stars and liquor stores in soft decay' the melody works great. plus the amount of one liners that are incredible that hit hard not only in the way its written- but sung. 
  • "I want to leave I'll probably stay another year" to me is a perfect representation of depression, i dont want to be depressed- i want to be happy, but it doesnt seem plausible nor realistic so ill just stay in my current situation no matter how low it'll take me.
  • "The Rumblin of distant shores sends me to sleep-but, the facts of life can sometimes make it hard to dream" same with above, it reminds me so heavily of my anxieties that can keep me up in the night, no matter how serene and perfect the place you're in physically- your mental state will forever force priority over your emotions.
  • both Heroin and Cruel World play with her usual aesthetic- but i find Heroin to be more mature, purely in the sense that it uses her natural imagery without sounding like her previous work or relying on her buzzwords- 'party dress' is the easiest comparison. Heroin stays with her vintage starlets and alcohol and drugs whereas CW sounds a little more juvenile in her work, but thats purely because she was coming off of BtD- but extremely depressed, not having fully rinsed her stereotypical lyrics.
  • with how cold and icy the song sounds and feels, it makes the explosive bridge that much more powerful- having her sing quietly and softly and then yelling loudly is a huge wake up- it's emotional, the notes are shifty- she swears, it's the perfect emotional breakdown. she's leaving what she knows is holding her back- 

those are just a few reasons why i love Heroin- def not all but it's a big representation as to why i personally love and relate to it, much more so than Cruel World. Cruel World is a good song, i have general distaste for it mostly due to the countless live performances, but I can guarantee people love it a LOT more just because its on Ultraviolence. Most songs on there that would normally go for mediocre are boosted, just because it has UV instrumentals and was a part of the era. 

:dmd:

is there a link for the grammy entries, is that real?

@@salvatore- I disagree with your interpretation of Heroin as IMHO it's a continuation of Coachella and what comes after

If anything, I think it is the mirror to 13 beaches, which in essence was High by the beach

so

High by the beach

13 beaches

heroin

placement so important on this record

with the jolt of Coachella shocking the system

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

@@salvatore- I disagree with your interpretation of Heroin as IMHO it's a continuation of Coachella and what comes after

If anything, I think it is the mirror to 13 beaches, which in essence was High by the beach

so

High by the beach

13 beaches

heroin

why does everything go back to CWIMM w u

:noparty:

so

High by the beach

13 beaches

heroin

Let Roachella go

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Heroin is basically a crappier version of Cruel World... it's honestly very overrated, but still good though. I just wish it had more power

I'm letting this go since taste is subjective (even though you've slandered TNC, Brooklyn Baby and you think GBA is one of the best. I'll give you points for liking Cruel World though) and because you're one of my favorite members. If you were someone else, I would put a big post on why Heroin stole Cruel World's wig and sent it to @@Stargirl's dimension. 

s-c3e6a2a9a36c15720bc4c14d9b0d7c9948c2db

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

so

High by the beach

13 beaches

heroin

no-correlation-19361526.png

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

i get home and it decides to double post my comment :party: 

all T Heroin > Cruel World n it in no way goes w coachella let her b the bridge none of us wanted but needed 

in the middle of the night

in my dreams!

the t swizzle thread is this way icon

-------------------------------> http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/3298-taylor-swift/page-26

let me break down some reasons as to why I love it personally

• in terms of the placement, it makes all the difference- it starts off the final three tracks, all revolving around the idea of change. i see it as Heroin being the admission to the problem, she recognizes she needs to change; Change being the motivation, the desire to go- and Get Free taking the torch of desire and carrying it to a promise and commitment to herself & her surroundings. 
  • i love how cold and hollow it sounds, it reminds me of the aftereffects of a heavy emotional scenario in which you or the person that just got off the episode is dying down, cooling off, fairly numb to their senses. 
  • the lyrics are great, not saying LfL is bad lyrically but i personally didn't see many similar stanzas throughout LfL with previous work until Heroin (Love fits too just not sonically). the verses are written so, so nice. the 'Topanga's hot tonight, the city- by the bay. has movie stars and liquor stores in soft decay' the melody works great. plus the amount of one liners that are incredible that hit hard not only in the way its written- but sung. 
  • "I want to leave I'll probably stay another year" to me is a perfect representation of depression, i dont want to be depressed- i want to be happy, but it doesnt seem plausible nor realistic so ill just stay in my current situation no matter how low it'll take me.
  • "The Rumblin of distant shores sends me to sleep-but, the facts of life can sometimes make it hard to dream" same with above, it reminds me so heavily of my anxieties that can keep me up in the night, no matter how serene and perfect the place you're in physically- your mental state will forever force priority over your emotions.
  • both Heroin and Cruel World play with her usual aesthetic- but i find Heroin to be more mature, purely in the sense that it uses her natural imagery without sounding like her previous work or relying on her buzzwords- 'party dress' is the easiest comparison. Heroin stays with her vintage starlets and alcohol and drugs whereas CW sounds a little more juvenile in her work, but thats purely because she was coming off of BtD- but extremely depressed, not having fully rinsed her stereotypical lyrics.
  • with how cold and icy the song sounds and feels, it makes the explosive bridge that much more powerful- having her sing quietly and softly and then yelling loudly is a huge wake up- it's emotional, the notes are shifty- she swears, it's the perfect emotional breakdown. she's leaving what she knows is holding her back- 

those are just a few reasons why i love Heroin- def not all but it's a big representation as to why i personally love and relate to it, much more so than Cruel World. Cruel World is a good song, i have general distaste for it mostly due to the countless live performances, but I can guarantee people love it a LOT more just because its on Ultraviolence. Most songs on there that would normally go for mediocre are boosted, just because it has UV instrumentals and was a part of the era. 

:dmd:

thanks girlie! this is exactly what I was looking for. i'll listen to it again with these points in mind  :kiss: