litewave

The Paradise and the esoteric origin of mankind

Only going to note the Black Beauty / White Mustang parallels of horse (heroin?)-based symbology

Yess, "the wickedest man in the world", obsessed with sex and control, addicted to heroin and cocaine.

I think you'll find there's a bit more to him than that  :crossed:

I think you'll find there's a bit more to him than that  :crossed:

Hehe sure there is, but it seems Lana has had enough of his crazy lifestyle.

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

I believe you are your own doorway to an understanding of something greater. I never think of how I can get bigger or better, I just think, How can I go deeper? How can I know myself more so that I’m a clearer conduit for whatever else is in the ether? Meditation’s a big part of my life. I was already doing that when I was young, thinking about what I wanted to do, things I wanted to manifest.

https://www.lofficielusa.com/music/lana-del-rey-cover-story

I've read every single post on this thread and damn, am I impressed with all of your perspectives and analyses. Thanks to you guys, especially @@DeadAgainst and @litewave, I've come to appreciate Lana's artistry even more. Thank you so much!

Which album do you guys think is the "richest" in terms of meanings?

And what do you think she'll bring to the table for future albums? Like, what else do you expect her to write about? 

Which album do you guys think is the "richest" in terms of meanings?

In hindsight I have come to view her first three major albums loosely as a trilogy: Born to Die seemed to emphasize the beginning, the paradise, and the tragic fall that followed. Ultraviolence was deep in the fallen state, especially dark and manic-depressive. And in Honeymoon she seemed to find some peace again, with re-integration of complementary polarities.

After this personal analytic-synthetic journey, she emerged reinvigorated from her inner world into the outer world with a more socially/politically conscious Lust for Life. I never know what she will do next, but it seems that her future moves will be influenced by what is going on in the world.

Why? Who? Me?

I was casually listening to BTD today; and for the first time the beginning of the song really resonated with me. I started to wonder like "who is she talking to?" and "what is the significance?" 

I'm curious to know if anyone here has also wondered about that? If so, how do you interpret it?

PS.

Some of you might think of this as a silly question and would probably say that "it's not that deep," which is fine if you do. But I really enjoy thinking about this kind of stuff, especially because Lana herself had said that "they judge me like a picture book, by the colors like they forgot to read". And this is a LDR forum after all. Sorry if I seem like a Graham to you  :hooker:

Why? Who? Me?

I was casually listening to BTD today; and for the first time the beginning of the song really resonated with me. I started to wonder like "who is she talking to?" and "what is the significance?" 

I'm curious to know if anyone here has also wondered about that? If so, how do you interpret it?

A male voice responds to her but I can't hear it clearly.

I always thought she was talking to God, asking why she was chosen for carrying a burden or being in a situation.

I always thought she was talking to God, asking why she was chosen for carrying a burden or being in a situation.

Do you know at which point you hear that male voice? I've been trying to listen closely and the only male voice I can hear is this sampled piece (Mountain's Long Red). Is it the sample?

Interesting to note is that the "goddamn"-sample was used in a demo version of BTD.

The first time I heard Yes To Heaven, I interpreted it as Lana merely speaking to her loved one and exhorting him to, I suppose, reciprocate her love. Upon further listenings I instead interpreted the song as Lana being the voice of God, exhorting the listener to say yes to Heaven; exhorting us to say yes to God (the divine feminine, Shekinah, etc.). Yes, I realize this is just symbolic, not literal.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:30 PM, litewave said:

This is exactly

It took me 48 hours, but I finally read everything.

I think this is the right thread to bring this up:

I was always fascinated about the interview that she says that she let the lyrics come to her

"XL. It requires a lot of self-control, doesn't it?

L.R. It's patience. Like letting the lyrics come to me. Sometimes is painful, but it's the only way. I feel that my path was revealed to me, but I needed to be an empty vessel for it to happen. Like an electrical conduit. Electricity does not go through you if you're blocked."

Maybe she's describing some sort of psychography (spirit writing/automatic writing)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_writing

She have her sun, mercury and mars in the 8th house. Her moon is on the 9th and pluto in the 12th. Her rising sign is scorpio. Those placements suggests mediumship, attraction to themes related to death, the occult and rebirth.

It also bugged me why someone like her would attend a church like Churchome. She seems so connect with God and the occult that believing in prosperity gospel would be a joke. But tonight it hit me. According to the reviews, Churchome encourages their participants to speak in tongues. Baptism by the fire is also commonly used in churches that follows the prosperity gospel. Maybe she's seeking a deeper spiritual connection? Not going only because of the church, but the things that she can experience at the church?

On 7/11/2014 at 1:56 PM, Jack said:

No offense lol, it's good for reading sometimes but I'm not really too far into this next level stuff

^oh you simple-minded fool :giggle:

89550-F07-DF2-F-4739-9-AB0-552-DF4549773.jpg

On 6/21/2018 at 7:26 AM, ivy said:
Why? Who? Me?

I always thought it was her responding to a police officer or some questioning figure . "Who, me? No, I wouldnt do a thing like that!"  But Im still not exactly sure. I would also believe that she is talking to god. 

She also says "Why" in that breathy whisper in Cherry.  

On 9/23/2015 at 1:43 AM, LoreleiLee said:

So, The White Goddess stands for all other female pagan deities in Europe, or behind them? I've read she has also three faces which represent the stages of the Moon, which means she is a tripple goddess and that resonates with Lana being often in tryad of colours: black, white and red. I guess that is related with nigredo, albedo and rubedo, and on the other hand, with hell, purgatory and heaven, and with the stages of woman as a maiden, mother and crone. Or maybe Lana being young nymphet, wounded girl and independent superwoman (but you've already wrote all about that, so I won't repeat myself)

Despite Lana her being haunted by the male loves of her life, I couldn't envision Muse as a guy (because she was actually desperately trying to permanently fall in love with herself, or to make her androginuos God to return to the temple of her body and soul; lack of (self)love = God is dead).

Maybe that proves the existence of collective consciousness and the laws that are applicable to everyone, no matter what sex or gender we are: Muse is by definition female, because a woman is the Other, mysterious, tricky and elusive; man is the doer and active creator of history, a concrete and simple creature, woman is receptive vase that gathers all enigmas or fluid mirage in hundred veils, complex within itself, like a snake that bites its own tail. (And Muse is also mostly idealized woman, Madonna, vs. Whore, although Baudelaire's muses were very terrestrial, carnal and salacious, even literally dirty, decaying and rotten. Him and Rimbaud imported the aesthetics of ugliness, as something that inflames imagination to create more vivid, shocking, palpable and sensual imaginery. Symbolism in general was a turning point in the perception of feminity versus romanticist ethereal elations and obsessions over unreachable „Ladies“ in celestial thrones of unsatisfied desire and longing, and they turned to contemporary time and the very changes that arrived, including the surmise of women gaining their social and political rights, which was, I guess, partial reason of dethroning and demistifying women in general. Ancient muse doesn't have a mind or a soul of herself, she's a mere apparition, somethimes terrifying, omnipotent yet unatainable phantom - she's a "Belle Dame Sans Merci". Modern women are finally given voice and have become human and real, multidimensional, so impenetrable Sphynx became Picasso's distorted and vulnerable "Weeping Woman").

I think all of Lizzy's and Lana's boyfriends are just a vehicle, a medium of one spirit she drags from one body to another, having in mind an ideal that is modeled out of puzzle pieces of her dudes' traits. They are not important, important is the idea of love and merging lovers or animus and anima in sacred heavenly marriage, feeling mystical ecstasy, like St. Theresa (you've said that too).

And, before she had internalized patriarchal and sadistic male gaze, inverted towards herself as an object (submissive, needy, masochistic, suffering but beautiful and seductive, sometimes treating herself as a piece of meat or an unworthy prostitute), and now she reverts it into assertive, emancipating female gaze (for example, when she reaches for typical male weapon in High By The Beach and attacks intruding male stare in self-defence and reclaiming power over her whole being, or when she is „watching boys to“, like a matron/dominatrix/mafia widow observing sexy but deindividualized mannequins in a parade of flesh). She is also "sent to destroy" (Kali, threatening goddess with skulls around her neck), dangerous, coldhearted and sick of the bullshit that honey-tongued sleazes serve her as an agency of corruption.

Interestingly, she often mentions Federico Fellini, who is, like Pedro Almodovar, fiery admirer of the womanhood in all of its aspects and eagerly, fiercely pays tribute to female archetypes in his movies, where women are always superior to men, because they are fragile feelers, but at the same time so strong and intellectually and emotionally giant that they bear the burden of entire planet and universe on their shoulders, always having very thorny and excruciating path in this earthly life and going through thousand little deaths and resurrections. He displays compassion towards their martyrdom, and also nurtures awe and lustful trepidation in front of vamps, who are pure primal force of nature (as Courtney Love, Lana's temporary companion, once proudly claimed for herself). 

And, considering The Cult Of Isis, she wears red robe, and maybe that is the reason of Lana's trope of red dress, which she mentions everytime in the song she is about doing something special: visiting club, attending a ball, a ceremony, seducing her tiger or taking an intimate ride with her babe on the heavenly side, mostly whenever she wants to be seen and to display herself (those special moments equate the festival of worshiping Isis).

But, I will stop now because I have a feeling most of it was already said and I am talking too much, and I will follow your correspondencies.  

This is the most interesting entry on the most interesting thread on LB for me... Can't believe I haven't discovered it before...

this thread is honestly so difficult to follow along with but i’m all about spirituality & very extra song analysis, especially pertaining to lana because there’s something so complex & bewitching about her art

this threads’ analysis is very detailed & complex, it’s not to say it can’t technically be true, i suppose if these meanings can be derived from these songs, obviously, it’s a valid interpretation, many artists have expressed this idea, that once a piece of art is out there, specifically music, it’s not their song anymore, anybody who listens to it is free to interpret it & enjoy it however they choose, so while a song like “born to die” could just be about a relationship that’s doomed to fail, it could have so many different & complex interpretations (i feel this way about born to die)  i do believe that whether or not she’s aware of it, lana is more “in-tune” than the average human (although i sorta believe anybody could further tap into the otherworldly realms if it’s their desire) her writing is complex, poetic, & mysterious, it would be a lot harder to find these types of meanings in a justin bieber song, but lana’s music naturally feels meaningful & complex in a way where it means way more than just what you hear on the surface, if you analyze the lyrics, as well as make connections with other songs, you’re likely to notice something interesting 

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!