bwugdakfbabue

Kim Petras

i feel kinda sad for her bc this video is so… not her? the absolute negative chemistry between her and the guy at the end :brandy: whoever is styling her needs to be fired, always choosing the most unflattering stuff for kim to wear 

Can I please watch a music video in 2023 without being flashed in a different way each frame?  That music video is TERRIBLE.  Where the fuck is the creativity, plot, meaning, literally anything?!?!  Kim if this is really you nowadays I ain't listening along anymore.  Not here for any of that.

Now that Doja Cat, Ariana, Camila, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé have had number ones with songs about being sexy, wearing no clothes, fucking, cheating etc - can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money - or whatever I want - without being crucified or saying I'm glamorizing abuse??????

This reminds me of BeBe Rexha’s No Broken Hearts where there was a big budget single/video with a Nicki collab that felt unnatural and flopped

BeBe still has no idea who she is… I hope Kim can go back to Era 1 roots and do something that feels genuine again 

she honestly doesn’t come across “genuine” anymore if that makes sense?

like the kim i saw at her concert seems like a different person idk how to explain…

the music is worse, lyrics are so much worse, she seems different 

i can’t put it into words well someone help me out :bebe:

2 minutes ago, Chorli Xbox said:

like the kim i saw at her concert seems like a different person idk how to explain…

honestly i get it but i dont want to get it :bebe:

𝕭𝖆𝖇𝖞, 𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖘 𝖉𝖔𝖜𝖓 / 𝕿𝖊𝖑𝖑 𝖒𝖊, 𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚 𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖞?

18 minutes ago, Chorli Xbox said:

it's very simple to word actually: she's a sellout :true:

42 minutes ago, Chorli Xbox said:

im not her fan at all but every now and then i keep hearing that she used to be good and i could never figure out about what period of time exactly everybody was telling and when was that point when it started getting worse, im really interested because i was recommend to listen to her so many times and im really excited to, ill be glad if ud explain me about her more of a higlight time musicwise:defeated:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

33 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

im not her fan at all but every now and then i keep hearing that she used to be good and i could never figure out about what period of time exactly everybody was telling and when was that point when it started getting worse, im really interested because i was recommend to listen to her so many times and im really excited to, ill be glad if ud explain me about her more of a higlight time musicwise:defeated:

she started independent releasing a lot of singles ( with the rainbow colored single art), which was super exciting. She then follows up with her halloween album (Turn Off The Light) and Clarity. her concerts were so much fun, the music was good with very original lyrics, exciting collabs (for example Charli XCX), she seemed very genuine and funny. she honestly felt like the next big pop star that was “selfmade” for most people. 

i feel like it went downhill after malibu/future starts now and especially with slut pop 

it's not that she isn't genuine anymore, she just got signed up by a major record label and we all know how difficult it can be to be signed to a label. they want hits, they want to make profit and this is what's happening with kim. they're trying so hard to make her do stuff she probably doesn't want to in order to have a hit. i think deep down she's still very genuine, we heard the problematique scrapped songs, they're very og kim to me. she's compromising and playing their game and nothing is going well since then... (she got a #1 and a grammy but i wouldn't call that a win since it's for unholy :rip:)

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

1 hour ago, Chorli Xbox said:

1 hour ago, tearmeopen said:

honestly i get it but i dont want to get it :bebe:

I think it's frustration and desperation, though desperation might not be the right word. Maybe desire? Determination?

She's *so close* to a breakthrough. She's *so close* to setting some records. She's *so close* to moving into the center lane and off the shoulder in her career. She's been working at this for over a decade now, and just *now* we've had a spark hit with the 'Unholy' feature. I can understand the push to turn that into a fire.

Now, *none* of us fans, stans, and h8rs know what's going through an artists mind - short of an explicit "Hi, I'm X, and this is EXACTLY what I think and why I think it" statement - but if I had to guess, I just think there's a level of tiredness, mixed with a desire to "make it", over everything she's done thus far. She's had how many cancelled projects now? She's had how many PR flubs and Twitter oopsies? (that seem to have come from frustration at criticism?) If it was me, I'd be putting myself on a lil autopilot here and there just to get by and keep grinding.

She signed her career to someone who is subsequently a poison pill (Puke), and is constantly getting beat over the head for it. She's got those shame bells ringing all the time. She's got fans clamoring for music and leaks and snips and scraps of projects. She's got pressure there on both the supply side/demand side to handle. To veer into the political - she's a visible (if she wasn't before, she sure is now after 'Unholy') transwoman, with her story and her transition being very publicized and talked about from an early age. There's a lot of pressure and focus on that aspect of her - that minority stress isn't ever going to go away.

Next part I'm putting behind a spoiler/TW just because it's a sensitive topic (physical appearance/body critiques)

Spoiler

I don't want to talk about because it's taboo nasty, but I also think it's relevant enough to risk taking the heat and hit on myself for it - She's also very fortunate about her transition as well, and "passing", to use that nasty term. In the current political climate in the US, there's a sort of "trans boogeyman" stereotype that gets pushed. They wanna say Transfolk look a certain way and act a certain way and live their lives a certain way.....and you have someone like Kim, who absolutely does not fit *THAT* image, that uneducated troglodytes are trying to push as "truth".

Unholy going big and it being like "Hey here's this girl on the feature", and people who didn't know, learning that she's trans - there's got to be a bit of a moment there I think. Questions and comments and pressure - it's always going to be there, and there a certain weight that can't be escaped from.

To compress it all down to "minority stress", I think deletes a level of nuance from the conversation that is really important given her status and visibility. But to bring it up is also rude and touchy. The over/under on all of that has *got* to come up from time to time and wear on her a bit as well, and factor into things. Like I just know some PR chud has brought it up in very crude terms in behind close door meetings, you know?

What mainstream, have hit the radio, in the public eye trans artists are there? None to come to *my* mind, save Petras. And when Queer artists do hit the mainstream, or get close to it, there's always this risk of them being a novelty factor, just a flash-in-the-pan moment in pop culture, where they're everywhere for a beat, and then it's diminishing returns and then a fade out to being the LGBTQ+ locals favorite. Nobody wants that life, I wouldn't think? But how do you avoid that? There's pressure there, too.

Like I said - she's been at this for a decade. She's had how many cancelled projects and flopped rollouts during that time? She's signed to/with someone who historically (like it or not) has been a hitmaker, but the hits are...where? She's not getting any younger. There's a degree of stress on urgency there. There's a degree of stress unique to her by being an international (from Germany, remember) transwoman, on top of music industry stress as a baseline. Label wants this, label wants that, etc. etc.

I can see were, reasonably, someone would start to wear thin from frustration from the industry, frustration from choices that were made, frustration from getting recognition (Unholy) and then it going nowhere, or not going anywhere as fast as anticipated or promised, and I can see where that would start to reflect back into our quality of work. And I say frustration specifically as a root note for all of it, because of her basically saying "w/e yolo listen to Problematique leaks I'm fucked and not allowed to release shit anyway". That sounds very "frustrated and giving in" to me.

It's like - do you double down and commit to the grind, even if it means you have to sacrifice some parts of yourself, if there's a chance you come out ahead in the end? Or do you just throw up your hands and change course/level expectations and go a different route/approach? Not an easy decision when you have so many factors at play, and your work and public image is going to suffer no matter which route you take.

Not trying to defend anything, or promote anything - just my thoughts on where the perceived quality drop could be coming from and what could be feeding into it.

Edited by AtomicMess
Clarity

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

16 hours ago, Wait For Life said:

Can I please watch a music video in 2023 without being flashed in a different way each frame?  That music video is TERRIBLE.  Where the fuck is the creativity, plot, meaning, literally anything?!?!  Kim if this is really you nowadays I ain't listening along anymore.  Not here for any of that.

Now that Doja Cat, Ariana, Camila, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé have had number ones with songs about being sexy, wearing no clothes, fucking, cheating etc - can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money - or whatever I want - without being crucified or saying I'm glamorizing abuse??????

Zero budget trash, she really signed a record deal to get shelved & shitty visuals like Coconuts & Alone.. sad 

tumblr_m9qygi5S6s1rdc44xo1_500.gif