BLURRYFACE

Rina Sawayama

5 minutes ago, Party Favor said:

if that’s the case then she’s failing horribly :bebe: hold the girl is the best out of the singles, but catch me in the air is…rancid. Still holding out hope for the rest of the album 

yeah from the 3 singles I only like hold the girl too, but I don't love it though. however she nailed the music video, I think it turned out very beautiful

fingers crossed for the rest :icant:

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

it feels like each of these pre-release singles are lacking in some department - this hell is a mess lyrically, catch me in the air feels a bit too on the nose with its lyrics and sonic references, and hold the girl's production on the verses sound too detached from the choruses. i know she's trying to merge genres and make pop songs about stuff that usually isn't discussed in pop music (the latter of which i really do appreciate), but it feels like the lyrical/production quality is being sacrificed for the sake of having some commercial appeal. i'm really hoping this is a sawayama situation where she just made weird single choices and the rest of the album is actually good  :oprah3:

i've tried so hard to get into Rina, but the only songs i use are her basic bops like CDG + XS - I found the majority of her debut to be noisy and boring. idk her songwriting reminds me of marina post electra heart

42 minutes ago, Real Bad Girl said:

So turns out the next single is Hurricanes (?)

https://www.tiktok.com/@rinasawayamaofficial/video/7130680823312878853

interesting, i thought it was gona be phantom? (unless we're getting both as singles due to the album being pushed back?)

Hold the girl is actually a serve it took me like 2 weeks to listen to it. It sounds like it’s my life by Bon Jovi but even that can’t ruin the beat drop which is iconic. The key change is insanely cheesy but I think it’s knowingly so. 

23 hours ago, comeintomybedroom said:

♥ her

She deserves so much success, ♥ 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

12 hours ago, drewby said:

I really need the hear the entire album before I buy it because it's a bit of a mess so far, and I didn't feel that way about the debut.

Same, I loved STFU, CDG and XS even if most people hated them back before the album release so I'm confused about this one

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

So far "hold the girl" has me being held back a little bit, idk i'm just not feeling this era so far. There's something lacking from miss Rina Sawayama :defeated:

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

I think CMITA is pretty decent actually but I’m not really feeling the other singles, especially because (this is me nitpicking) her voice sounds more nasally than usual. I like a lot of Sawayama, in all its corniness it’s still a solid successor/endearing body of work. I always did think she would expand on the sound/cyberpunk aesthetic she started with on her EP though. 

10 minutes ago, Dominikx4 said:

Catch Me in the Air > Hold the Girl > Phantom >>>> This Hell

i really relate to many of the lyrics from CMITA, HTG and Phantom :crai: she has me in my feelings

this is my ranking too! i just love catch me in the air so much :defeated: