BLURRYFACE

Rina Sawayama

Spoiler

Giving my first listen to the full album. And she did that. I’m impressed because the singles were a bit misleading because of how pop and accessible/mainstream they sounded. But I’m glad with what I’m hearing so far… it looks like she kept the more experimental and creative tracks for the album. Overall it gives the album a perfect balance. Also I’m here for her digging into more 2000s alternative genres this era… anyone else literally hearing Garbage on Your Age? I can’t wait to share my review of the album on here but need a few more listens first.

Spoiler

i like the album. its no SAWAYAMA (but in the end, how do you recreate or top an album like that), but i like it. It's incredibly relatable to me.

The only thing i HATE about this is Rina confusing Frankenstein with Frankenstein's monster :deadbanana: 

image.png

Imagining and Hurricanes are bops. 

I really like Frankenstein too. 

Forgiveness is kinda meh... 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

1 minute ago, EXODUS said:

Imagining and Hurricanes are bops. 

I really like Frankenstein too. 

Forgiveness is kinda meh... 

omg you think so? i like Forgiveness a lot, I'm vibing so hard

image.png

My track by track review!!!

Spoiler

Minor Feelings

I like it, it's too short. How is Fuck This World an interlude, yet this one is a full track with only 2 minutes? It's giving me Madison Beer vibes, sounds straight out of Life Support.

Hold The Girl

A solid title track, I like it so much. Wasn't so sure when it first dropped, but it's a grower (like me) for sure. I was sceptical about the random changes in the instrumental, but I love them now! Also, the lyrics are so relatable to me.

This Hell

a skip, one of the worst things she has ever released

Catch Me in the Air

I love this so much! I am so happy I got to witness this song live in London. Again, the lyrics are so relatable to me. I really like the pop-rockyness it has. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

Forgiveness

I love the 6/8 beat in this one. The melody is so pretty, the chorus makes me vibe so hard. I can't wait to hear this live one day (come to Europe, queen). This one is also giving me Madison Beer vibes, what is going on? Reckless?

Holy (Till You Let Me Go)

This is soooo chill and such a bop at the same time. It's one of those songs I imagine playing during an arena tour when the artist is having a costume change and is bridging the audience over, kind of like Coupure Electrique by Britney.

Your Age

This song started out kinda weird, didn't know what to think about it. But the turn it takes OMGGGGG. EEEEH-EEEEEEEYYYYY and the glitchy cut offs of her vocals. This is gonna be an EXPERIENCE live

Imagining

Again, this is such a bop??? Wasn't so sure about the autotune at first, but love it now! So glitchy, so boppy. It's reminding me of Brainwash by Simon Curtis, which is so weird cause I haven't listened to that song since my edgy coming-out phase 9 years ago

Frankenstein

I like how hard it goes, I like the melodies, dont like how short it is. Also, Rina girlie... Frankenstein made the monster. Frankenstein is not the monster :rip: 

Hurricanes

Mid-track imo. I like the verses and pre-chorus, but the chorus is kind of meh. It's not bad at all, though. And I already like it better than I did when it first leaked.

Send My Love to John

Kinda boring, not gonna lie.

Phantom

Also so so so relatable :( Queen! It's giving early 2000s but also like it was taken straight out of a musical. Kind of like that lead single track from The Greatest Showman (don't remember the title)

To Be Alive

A very cute ballad with a terrible opening line. I'm willing to look over that one, though, cuz the song itself is very pretty.

image.png

2 hours ago, Dominikx4 said:

omg you think so? i like Forgiveness a lot, I'm vibing so hard

I like it but it just goes nowhere for me. 

So far this album is not as good as her debut, but it's very solid. Like it a lot. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

1 minute ago, lanabanana11 said:

okaauuuy so i got my hands on the leak...WELL its for sure different from her debut, I dont hate it, but also not a top favorite album or anything like that! Imagining is my fav

I feel the same, it wasn't as instant for me as her debut. I listened to it once and now I can wait until next week