Radiohead Sues Lana for Copyright Infringement on "Get Free"

Does anyone know when the court hearing is?

Also - it really does suck that this is happening to Lana, regardless of which song, but it really stings to know that THIS track in particular, one that really is personal to Lana and is a symbol of her growth, is coming under fire. It's really sad, and I truly feel for her. 

However, we must hold on to hope to have a happy ending, as Lana says. This could be the universe's way of really driving that point home, that Lana is destined and sure to win this case, which would also make Get Free a symbol of triumph and victory, and persistence, which connects to her "lust for life" - her journey and desire to grow and evolve for the better, which is the main sentiment of Get Free. 

I absolutely love what she said last night :defeated:  Regardless of what happens, she wants the fans to know that she meant what she wrote when she wrote this record and she still wants (all of us) to head for that better place. The song might get destroyed, removed from the record, whatever (who knows) but things would still be okay. She won't curl up into a ball and take this as a sign that things aren't supposed to change and get better.

I know I sound so freaking gushy, but this song actually means a lot to me and I'll defend it to the death, however its sentiment is enough.

It would be funny if Lana got sued for FMWUTTT or Cola... imagine how awkward it will be for the judge when they have to listen to the tracks lmao

Lana: "Yes it's true your honor. My pussy does in fact taste like Pepsi-cola."

Might be worth filing suit just for the chance at discovery.

US Alt Charts rn lmaoo

CKlCW9i.png

Imagining a future where bands pretend to sue each other to juice sales. Or intentionally plagiarize knowing they will get sued, but also that the uptick in sales will more than compensate for the percentage they lose.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Fontana is right, its weird they’re pushing so hard like asking for 100% royalties, the song isnt a single, isnt a hit, isnt a song associated with her on any type of high profile public setting......its the last song on an entire album released months ago, how much money will they get really??? You’d think they were suing for Summertime Sadness coin or something.

Is a song like Get Free, what with having 0 radio play and not even being a "Lana single" (i.e. exponentially less promotion and buzz than normal singles have) even worth suing? Lmao. Bored old men.

They're just trying to get a chance to meet Lana any way they can.

KaUp1u5.png

As bad as I feel for her - y'all can stop acting like she's 100% victim. The melody's similarity is so obvious, it's her fault that they did not officially declared it a sample and gave RH writing credits.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

As bad as I feel for her - y'all can stop acting like she's 100% victim. The melody's similarity is so obvious, it's her fault that they did not officially declared it a sample and gave RH writing credits.

Lana gave them 40% but they wanted no less than 100%. And i think that she decided to give them because she didn't want to deal with it in the court. The thing is that they are suing her for a melody that is not even theirs. If the Hollies sued her i was going to be more okay but when an artist that uses an already copied melody is suing another artist for that particular melody is just stupid.

-Homeland of the Gods-

No one is though. Its just messy that 40% wasnt enough for them. Its stupid.

Yes I'm really surprised that no one in Lana's team pointed out the similarities while they were recording the song. Would have been easy to change some parts of the melody, just to be safe. Anyone from Rick Nowels to the band to the people of the label could have noticed it and should've talked to her about it. So either they did and Lana refused to change anything or all of those people were just hoping the similiarities will go by unnoticed...

Does someone know if a case like this ever happened before? Like an artist got sued for a copied song and then sues another artist for using the same melody?

Does someone know if a case like this ever happened before? Like an artist got sued for a copied song and then sues another artist for using the same melody?

-Homeland of the Gods-

@ConeyIslandKing- it is 1/16 of the entire album, so there are royalties on every single album sold in any form (physical, vinyl cd streaming download which is nice sum of money much like sharing 1/16th of a lottery win and any win Radiohead gets, obviously the writers

of Air that I breathe will want the same. 

and to other points-

Stop saying the Hollies. They have nothing to do with it. They sang a cover of the song that was written by Albert Hammond and Mike

Hazelwood.

In fact, Albert Hammond himself recorded the song in 1972 and others covered it including Phil Everly of the Everly Brothers in 1973

then the Hollies covered it and released it as a single in 1974

Hammond & Hazelwood could have gotten 100% from Radiohead but settled on less because Radiohead outright admitted they

stole it which in some warped sense of honor, impressed Hammond/Hazelwood and they accepted less.

NOW GREAT NEWS-  BORN TO DIE CHALKS UP ITS 299TH WEEK ON THE BILLBOARD 200!!!

GOING TO EDIT THAT THREAD NOW

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

This will be a stain on radiohead's legacy; just like all of pablo honey. Most people at this point are siding with Lana besides some sexist middle aged men. Almost every video I've watched has sided with Lana, the only people I've seen that haven't have been edgy teenagers and misogynistic men in youtube comments. Lana will be the only winner in this case.

No one is though. Its just messy that 40% wasnt enough for them. Its stupid.

All those stans on social media and this boatd aren't really "no one". Many of them even say the similarities are "subtle".

:toofunny:

Totally with y'all when it comes to the 100% profits thing, that's petty. But yeah, Lana and her team should have seen it coming.

And in the end most of y'all would cheer for Lana if she sued an artist.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

This will be a stain on radiohead's legacy; just like all of pablo honey. Most people at this point are siding with Lana besides some sexist middle aged men. Almost every video I've watched has sided with Lana, the only people I've seen that haven't have been edgy teenagers and misogynistic men in youtube comments. Lana will be the only winner in this case.

You know that,  in practice, it doesnt work like this right? As you said, lot of sexist middle aged men and they could bribe the judge

This!

The edgy teens/young adults and the middle aged men only hate lana because of the attention of the girls she is stealing from them

You know that,  in practice, it doesnt work like this right? As you said, lot of sexist middle aged men and they could bribe the judge

Another thing about the whole case is that it's radiohead's label not the band themselves. Now I think that Lana will lose the case because of this :/. This will end poorly for the bands reputation, and Lana will get fucked out of money she rightfully deserves.  I think this case really brings to light the corruption in the music industry. It feels like it's the label vs radiohead vs lana del rey. You know judges will always take sides with whoever has the most money, and we all know a record label will most likely have more money than Lana and the members of Radiohead combined.