Sign in to follow this  
Amadeus

Lana to receive "Global Impact Award" at the ASCAP Pop Music Awards

Desmond Child will receive the ASCAP Founders Award at the performance rights organization’s annual ASCAP Pop Music Awards, to be held in Beverly Hills on April 23. The songwriter’s credits include Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ On A Prayer” and “You Give Love A Bad Name,” Aerosmith’s “Dude (Looks Like A Lady),” Ricky Martin’s “Livin’ La Vida Loca,” among other hits.

In addition, Lana Del Rey will be recognized with the Global Impact Award and Portugal The Man will receive the Vanguard Award.

http://variety.com/2018/music/news/desmond-child-ascap-founders-pop-music-awards-1202735809/

Right after finishing the tour on April 20th in Madrid. 

i76mrxw.png 

Elizabeth (Lana)  will be awarded ASCAP's Global Impact Award at its annual banquet, this year being held in Los Angeles on April 23, 2018.

This is MAJOR.

It means that Lana is now on the radar to be in the Songwriters Hall of Fame in future years as ASCAP is one of (if not) the biggest groups for songwriters worldwide.

Also being honored is songwriter/producer Desmond Child (with ASCAP's highest honor, lifetime Founders Award) and Portugal the Man

Congratulations to Lana on this major award. (and it shows again that her peers and the industry really do appreciate all she has done with HER songs).

billboard has an article on this,

https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/8260888/desmond-child-to-receive-ascap-founders-award-honors-for-lana-del-rey-portugal

and it is on ASCAP's site too, and many others

Dinner/award ceremony in Los Angeles-  April 23, 2018

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

wow made a thread on this like 9 hours ago good to know it still hasn't been approved  :oprah3:

maybe it's be about time to get rid of the mod approval for the news section if members just post the news somewhere else to avoid it.

i76mrxw.png 

tenor.gif

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

nobody can stop this girl

rH1jsLJ.gif

she just keeps on winning. she just performed from hundreds of thousands of people in 4 countries, gained MILLIONS headlining the biggest festival in the world and now this. wow.

The award, undoubtedly important, seems kind of ad hoc and recent, in the sense of the earliest  award being 2010 and the most recent in 2016 (i.e. not regularly awarded). With the exception of  Peter Frampton the past recipients are unknown to me!

I also looked for the wording as to why the award is being given (aka the LDR "impact") and found this,  which looks to be a press release from ascap. Look for "ASCAP President Paul Williams commented:"  4 paras down for LDR comment.

While I liked the wording quite a bit, it could have been improved quite a bit (imo) by making an explicit reference to her unreleased/suppressed period as well as what people will understand being referenced, namely, her BTD and later work. I don't want the award to "go to her head" in the sense of making her think that her released period is necessarily more valid than her unreleased period, as the two periods overlap quite a bit in song quality (again imo).  So when the guy said "where endless possibility is the only rule", I specifically thought that his description could have been substantially strengthened by referencing her unreleased/suppressed stuff  (assuming he knew about it).

BTW,  here's a list of the Vanguard award recipients.

Today is the day the Awards are going to be helds, A QUEEN WOW.

I wonder how she feels about it, since she's said she tried to be a writer and then tried music... and that she's a writer first and then comes the music...

Is what she deserves indeed. In my eyes, Lana did change the game (2012 - now) in terms of lyrics (and aesthetic) like no other, Queen of stablishing Sadcore Glamour!

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif