Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

3 hours ago, Creyk said:

I listen to Valley Of The Dolls way more than NFR (title track). I just really like the very calm atmosphere of the song :eartha2:.

Marina's Valley of the Dolls or another?

3 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I enjoyed COCC but it was too short and everything she's done since NFR seems rushed, imo

The 3 singles are definitely more like poems with music. There's no emotion in the instrumentals and tbh, Jack's work on VBBOTG had more sonic variation than these "songs" do (think of the final poem ... Linoleum?)

Mike Dean lied when he said Wildflowers was fire. There IS no fire and that's the problem. There's no anger, no sadness ... except in her voice. 

You can't take a poem, employ repetition on a few lines and then say it's a song. It isn't. 

And as I said above, the sheer extent of the namedropping makes these feel like personal diary entries which again, makes them seem more poem-y.

"Jenny's smoking by the pool"

"Chuckie's baking a birthday cake"

And whatever the fuck else

I do not care, idk about anyone else

Anyway I'm glad that others are enjoying these but I suspect the replay value won't be there

I can't stand when people claim objective truths about something as fundamentally subjective as music girl even though I've probably done it in the heat of the moment but I'm getting defensive bc these songs all affected me frankly on another level than what Lana's music has before but you won't hear me lamenting that there's no fire on Honeymoon because what does that even truly mean? WW is maybe her most firey song for me because it's so powerful and soul-baring. I found the instrumentals to be deeply emotional like the droning synths in BB trap me in this intensely depressive state it's hard to listen to. That's because as an individual I'm susceptible to being affected by the kind of sound in BB for whatever reason. On the flip side Yosemite didn't affect me at all. I rebuke the idea that a song necessarily needs to have "sonic variation" or this or that to be emotional like that is just pretentious it's all just aestheticism and subjectivity and what resonates with you based on your life experience. Also for want of a less crude description you CAN take a poem and employ repetition on a few lines and say it's a song because that's essentially what most of our best singer-songwriters have been doing for decades

13 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I am really sick of her namedropping people in her songs, especially after today

It's okay to do in moderation but enough is enough

I get that it's hEr LiFe but Jesus, Chuck and Jen and Nikki and Charlie and Joni and Joan and whoever else do not need to be mentioned in every song ever

Less is more. She does it so much that it is not lyrically impactful at all because it's just a mish-mash of names

There's a reason the CD booklet usually has a page for acknowledgements and she should use it

I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing on this because it's so true, it's probably my biggest problem with her lyrics recently. I always thought it was so lazy of her to do this but I thought I was on my own on this fdskgdfjkgjdkf 

i won a underrated member lipster award im dog im nice don't come for me or i will eat u

Lana has been really losing me as a fan since NFR. I only like 3 songs off of that record and even then I skip to the bridges. I only like 1 song from COCC and I dislike all of the new singles.

In my personal opinion, idk how anyone can defend her lyrics NFR-BB. They’re astoundingly poor. Sure she does have a few gems but as whole?? :eek3:

Her melodies are much poorer now too. What happened to the structured, well thought out, beautiful melodies of songs like Carmen, Is This Happiness, Dark Paradise, The Blackest Day, Sad Girl, etc...? Even her unreleased songs have better melodies

I’m not even going to touch the production because most of us agree it’s lacking in a lot of ways and that is equally her fault as it is the producers.

Visually... there’s no effort. Pure laziness and that’s disappointing. Ultimately the visuals are part of her job too and she clearly doesn’t give af anymore. It’s not cute. Critics and lay people don’t really give that much of a fuck about her visuals, it’s the fans that care the most so the fact that she’s not putting any effort in is telling.

Her shows now? I wouldn’t pay to see them anymore. Unnecessary dancers, backing vocals that are too loud, not singing at random times, etc... Before it was her showcasing her amazing talent. A lot of the time now, it’s just singing quietly behind her backing vocals doing a pathetic ‘dance’. The Lolita slut drop was iconic but the other little dances are just not it. She does have some amazing moments still but not enough for me to buy a ticket

Again, I’m not going to touch on her controversial statements, lying to fans, disregarding fans, completely unprofessional behaviour, tone-deaf comments, those videos of her driving recklessly, etc...

She and her music have changed and I don’t like it. Obviously artists change over time and that’s fine but it’s just sad that I’m not vibing with this change like other fans are. I loved her so much for so many years and it’s just depressing that I’m not liking who she is now. I suppose I’ll always have BTD-L4L :pft:

Since some of u crazy Lana stans can’t read, I’m gonna say again that this is just my opinion, NOT FACT

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

18 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I am really sick of her namedropping people in her songs, especially after today

It's okay to do in moderation but enough is enough

I get that it's hEr LiFe but Jesus, Chuck and Jen and Nikki and Charlie and Joni and Joan and whoever else do not need to be mentioned in every song ever

Less is more. She does it so much that it is not lyrically impactful at all because it's just a mish-mash of names

There's a reason the CD booklet usually has a page for acknowledgements and she should use it

And Courtney. You forgot Court almost burning her house down. lol

I agree btw. 

I hope she doesn't recycle the "no more candle in the wind" line again. :usrs:

4 hours ago, Angelic Tropico said:

Her shows now? I wouldn’t pay to see them anymore. Unnecessary dancers, backing vocals that are too loud, not singing at random times, etc... Before it was her showcasing her amazing talent. A lot of the time now, it’s just singing quietly behind her backing vocals doing a pathetic ‘dance’. The Lolita slut drop was iconic but the other little dances are just not it. She does have some amazing moments still but not enough for me to buy a ticket

yeah i saw her on the festival tour of 2019 and almost wish i wouldn't have :pls: she looked pretty, sounded pretty (whenever we could hear her over the background track) and venice bitch live was truly a moment. but there was just no any magic, to think that i'd waited for years to see her perform i had such high expectations. and she just... was there. love her to death but still 

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

20 minutes ago, Bunny Mozart said:

13 Beaches deserves more love

Preach :cryney2: 

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

1 hour ago, lilithlana said:

Uh this is so beautiful, ethereal and inspiring... better than most things she has put out in recent years...

Reminds me of Radiohead's "Motion Picture Soundtrack"

I feel this is pretty divisive but her lyrics now are MILES more deep and intricate than they were on her first few albums. It blows my mind some people look at the lyrics to Blue Banisters and the Lyrics to say, Summertime Sadness (a song I love tbh) and think she’s taken a lyrical nosedive. 

10 hours ago, Angelic Tropico said:

Lana has been really losing me as a fan since NFR. I only like 3 songs off of that record and even then I skip to the bridges.

She and her music have changed and I don’t like it. Obviously artists change over time and that’s fine but it’s just sad that I’m not vibing with this change like other fans are. I loved her so much for so many years and it’s just depressing that I’m not liking who she is now. I suppose I’ll always have BTD-L4L :pft:

Since some of u crazy Lana stans can’t read, I’m gonna say again that this is just my opinion, NOT FACT

I feel you, I'm also starting to not enjoy her new stuff anymore. It's simply not my taste. TO ME(!) BB is so boring it's pretty much unlistenable, TB is meh and the only really good part in WW are the "hot" lines. It's kind of like falling out of love in a long term relationship, right? I've been a fan since early 2013...

And then we get leaks like Thunder and I wonder how this project was never released. Like, privately she still makes the kind of music I love (with great lyrics!) but for some reason keeps it to herself.

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

I find the 3 singles above the Chemtrails album that I really didn't like, I like the fact that they talk about her private life but they are still weak even if I see where she wants to go.

I agree with your opinions and I miss part of her. I know that everything is far away now, she has grown up; evolved blah blah but I need to fall in love with her songs again. Like the very first time I heard each new song in his repertoire, going from Born to die to Lust for life, this excitement, the heart that rises... She misses this time where her songs were very marked and timeless, without boredom.

Damn, I'm hoping that the leaks will give me that because I know that his new music / poem will no longer have this effect.

Mike lied saying that these 3 tracks would be fire, yes they are from Lana but it's not as hot as that and we come back to the same point: there is better but we are going in circles.

Sometimes I would like her to stop taking herself for a poet who writes so many things that they no longer make sense. I think we praise her writing so much for nothing and now she does too many headlines thinking that every stroke of the pencil will be genius. It could, but it is no longer the case.

I really need to travel again through her songs, to feel a texture, a heaviness, a marked universe. She set the bar too high to give up.

I think she has no more inspiration and the fact that she tries to do too many songs as if her life depended on it is damaging her talent. We revolve around the same themes, the same sounds, the same universes, everything is so similar since NFR that we do not realize that she is going to release another album...

She is productive but more in a good way, for me it takes out funds from the drawer that should remain in its hard drive. So its productivity is not really useful because the songs are less quality, she has become lazy through the promo, photos, covers... We do not know where we are.

The girl relies a lot on her prestigious name and she knows it, but until when? It's frustrating.