Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I think LDR9 is going to have a noticeable sonic shift compared to her last 2 records (assuming Mike Dean will be the main producer). 

NFR! felt a blend of folk rock with electronic influence, and COCC had heavy singer-songwriter vibes with touches of country. 

While it’s a bit early to tell, Blue Banisters feels very minimalist and lightly tinged with gospel, but the common ground between the last two albums is a more stripped approach (more so with COCC). 

Mike Dean’s characteristic sound wasn’t super evident on WW, but this may make sense given that Gabe Simon is allegedly the primary producer for most of the tracks. 

I would love to see Lana utilize Dean’s synth expertise to cook up something in the same vein as Weyes Blood’s and Portishead’s music, but I’m not completely getting my hopes up…yet

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:48 AM, Ziegfeld Follies said:

i think this is an unpopular opinion..

lust for life is a masterpiece of an album

the ones that hit, hit the hardest.  cherry, heroin, lust for life, 13 beaches, get free, change...  perfection

I think so many people overlooked LFL just because of the weaker tracks and the straying into multiple genres, but tracks like the ones you mentioned (especially Get Free and Heroin) really showcase her chops as a songwriter and emotive vocalist; I’d even argue that Get Free is in her Top 10 songs of all time

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

9 minutes ago, cru3lworld said:

bartender is a TOP tier lana song 

also for free was better without that collab. lana sings it better alone. 

i agree, bartender is my favorite song off of nfr :flutter: 

i don't mind for free being a collab, i like zella's voice, but i honestly don't like weyes' voice :eek:

WGe8ynS.gif

20 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i agree, bartender is my favorite song off of nfr :flutter: 

i don't mind for free being a collab, i like zella's voice, but i honestly don't like weyes' voice :eek:

bothers me because the live performance of them all singing it together is MUCH better than the released version, but i still think lana sings it better 

faSE.gif

I've just seen Venice Bitch is the highest-rated song of Lana's on rateyourmusic. Of course it's because for some weird reason NFR as an album and its tracks have got plenty of ratings, unlike the rest of her discography. I don't get it. Anyway, the thing is; people thinking Venice Bitch is Lana's best song are tone deaf. I said what I said.

original.gif

I think the most annoying criticism of Lana's music that rubs me the wrong way is that everything sounds the same because of stripped down production. This frustrates me, because I truly cannot think of many songs, if at all, where I was like, "this sounds like it could be on another record of hers!!!" She is very talented at world building in her album concepts. The only songs I've ever thought that were a few tracks on Chemtrails could have been on Norman, and that's because Jack is a very simplistic producer. None of these Blue Banisters singles so far sound like they could be on any of her albums to me. 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

10 minutes ago, Contemplating God said:

I think the most annoying criticism of Lana's music that rubs me the wrong way is that everything sounds the same because of stripped down production. This frustrates me, because I truly cannot think of many songs, if at all, where I was like, "this sounds like it could be on another record of hers!!!" She is very talented at world building in her album concepts. The only songs I've ever thought that were a few tracks on Chemtrails could have been on Norman, and that's because Jack is a very simplistic producer. None of these Blue Banisters singles so far sound like they could be on any of her albums to me.

I think the last song "Get Free" from Lust For Life could be as well on NFR and "Tomorrow Never Came" would be not wrong on Chemtrails. If you look carefully there are always some songs at the end that fit better for the next or after next album. It's like a preview where the journey will still go.

8 hours ago, vrtvie said:

I've just seen Venice Bitch is the highest-rated song of Lana's on rateyourmusic. Of course it's because for some weird reason NFR as an album and its tracks have got plenty of ratings, unlike the rest of her discography. I don't get it. Anyway, the thing is; people thinking Venice Bitch is Lana's best song are tone deaf. I said what I said.

nah 

sgopYhV.gif

6 minutes ago, Yayo6408 said:

I think the last song "Get Free" from Lust For Life could be as well on NFR and "Tomorrow Never Came" would be not wrong on Chemtrails. If you look carefully there are always some songs at the end that fit better for the next or after next album. It's like a preview where the journey will still go.

Yeah, I totally hear you on that. I think that's a good thing, though. To show us where she's going next on her journey. I'm more so talking about people who think albums like Born to Die, Honeymoon, Ultraviolence, LFL, etc all sound the same just because they're downtempo lol 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 hour ago, Contemplating God said:

anybody who thinks that all of lana's music sounds the same has seriously NEVER listened to her music, it's the silliest & the most frustrating criticism of her music because it's the opposite of the truth

WGe8ynS.gif

So idk if it's just in my city that everyone says this but it seems everyone in mtl hates her cause she's apparently too depressing to listen to and my blood boils when I hear this cause I don't think so at all.. her music is a kind of sadness that produces euphoria if anyone can understand and relate to what I mean..

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, CocaColaCrystalMeth said:

So idk if it's just in my city that everyone says this but it seems everyone in mtl hates her cause she's apparently too depressing to listen to and my blood boils when I hear this cause I don't think so at all.. her music is a kind of sadness that produces euphoria if anyone can understand and relate to what I mean..

definitely, actually, the only song i can think of in her entire repertoire of music that's depressing is the original beautiful people demo from 2014 (nothing with that! btw) her music is definitely emotive & "slow" however i still think it's full of life, her musical style isn't everyone's cup of tea, which is okay, however i feel like a lot of people who simply think it's melodramatic & depressive haven't even heard a lot of her stuff, and she has a lot of songs which aren't even driven by a sad or depressive emotion, like diet mountain dew, radio, west coast, high by the beach, etc.

WGe8ynS.gif

9 hours ago, vrtvie said:

Omg yes, why? I listened to that song when it came out but it's literally background music and unnecessarily long. The lyrics aren't special either. A huge chunk of the song is that monotone instrumental that just won't stop. I don't remember ever replaying it. I'm not saying the song is bad, it's literally on my playlist but it's so so so so overrated. The entire NFR is so overrated and I don't know a single fan irl that adores that album. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

I think Lust For Life is one of her best and most cohesive projects tbh (they're all cohesive, but........)

I've been slowly listening to all of her studio albums in the last month & re-experiencing them all again in real time. Letting the superpowers of depression amplification resonate in my bones. I know people don't tend to prefer this album-- but Tomorrow Never Came has to be in my top 3 favorite Lana songs of all time. It's so stunning and heartbreaking and sooooo relatable. 

When The World Was at War & God Bless America coming right before those? It's quite a holy trinity-- a 1-2-3 punch! 

And even though there was lawsuits against it, Get Free is such a nice and interesting song for her! A cool way to end the album. I think it's sonically very different for her & her normal melancholy melodies. I love it!!!!

Also Summer Bummer & Groupie Love? What is there to dislike about those? UGH. So good.

I'm currently trying to catch up and listen to all the stuff I haven't memorized from her. I want to have an intimate relationship with each album lmao. But LFL and BTD are the ones I've always felt closest to. My boyfriend tells me I'm crazy for not saying Ultraviolence is her best work though :rip:

TheProphecyFinal

Here is a link to all streaming services where you can stream my new single, "The Prophecy" :party:

Critics are saying: "It's pretty much the best thing ever" - Anthony Fantano

and "It would be super cool if you listened to it. It may surprise you with how not-bad it is.  It's actually pretty good" - a genuinely unbiased and actual casual pop music listener

16 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

anybody who thinks that all of lana's music sounds the same has seriously NEVER listened to her music, it's the silliest & the most frustrating criticism of her music because it's the opposite of the truth

I think that also applies to any artist or genre. saying things like "all music released after 90s sounds the same and sucks" or "the entire discography of artist X (who might be someone who has been creating music for decades) sounds exactly the same" is so dumb and elitistic. it just proves that you haven't done your research and you just want to be critical and negative for the hell of it. like it's okay to just say that you're not interested in something without making senseless shit up 

Spoiler

also I can't believe that there are some people who don't care too much about Venice Bitch but I gotta give some credit because that's actually an unpopular opinion lmao

strong like a tree but the unlucky one