MermaidTrailerHeaven

Lana's Vocal Range

I don't know what I am, or was. I was an alright singer when I was younger (11-14). Sadly I lost any ability to carry a tune after that. :(

I dont know what I am either, actually. Partly because I just can't identify anything when it comes to myself. It sounds weird- it is.

All I know is my range mathematically (c3-e5), but I don't know if I am a contralto or a mezzo, because I don't think I have the strength behind my voice to be a full contralto, though I have the lower range, and my mid-range is weak, and annoying sounding. Basically I'm just not a very good singer lol, but I love to sing, and play guitar. It's something I do privately, to feel better. I'm a pretty good guitar player at least :giggle:

You should keep singing! The more you sing, the better you will get. That goes for even the most terrible singers.

I dont know what I am either, actually. Partly because I just can't identify anything when it comes to myself. It sounds weird- it is.

All I know is my range mathematically (c3-e5), but I don't know if I am a contralto or a mezzo, because I don't think I have the strength behind my voice to be a full contralto, though I have the lower range, and my mid-range is weak, and annoying sounding. Basically I'm just not a very good singer lol, but I love to sing, and play guitar. It's something I do privately, to feel better. I'm a pretty good guitar player at least :giggle:

You should keep singing! The more you sing, the better you will get. That goes for even the most terrible singers.

I joined the high school choir during my senior year. It was fun but I wasn't any better. I was placed under the Alto section, so there's an idea of what I'd be if I could sing. Maybe if I were to continue singing I'd be better off in a punk band instead of sounding pretty. haha

:sluttybunny:🌧️

I'm a tenor in my school's choir, and a few of her lower songs are in the middle of my range, so I never thought that she would actually be classified as a soprano.

MkWI4Ns.png

I'm a tenor in my school's choir, and a few of her lower songs are in the middle of my range, so I never thought that she would actually be classified as a soprano.

Cool! Well, I kindof was playing around with the idea in my head earlier, because of her so well delivered high notes, but I think you're right. Also, I read a comment on divadivotee that explained the difference between mezzo and soprano.

She probably practiced and experimented until her lower range thickened. Age could definitely be a factor, because, I was told that with enough practice, anybody can sing high, but each person will only be able to sing so low.The reason for this is, as you sing higher, your vocal chords constrict, getting smaller the higher you go, even to the size of a pin (during a technique called "whistling", youtube Mariah Carey doing this, it's quite fascinating) But as you go lower, the chords stretch and relax, so you will only be able to stretch them to a certain extent, unlike how you can push yourself to sing higher. That is why, if anybody sings, you will notice that you will be able to access your lower range better when you've just woke up, because your vocal chords haven't been used yet, or late at night when your body is relaxed and tired. That's also partly why it's important not to strain your voice. Infact, if I've been yelling, crying, or singing for a long time, I lose easy access to those lowest notes. And when my vocals are feeling nice and relaxed, I can sometimes even croak out a B2!

She probably practiced and experimented until her lower range thickened. Age could definitely be a factor, because, I was told that with enough practice, anybody can sing high, but each person will only be able to sing so low.The reason for this is, as you sing higher, your vocal chords constrict, getting smaller the higher you go, even to the size of a pin (during a technique called "whistling", youtube Mariah Carey doing this, it's quite fascinating) But as you go lower, the chords stretch and relax, so you will only be able to stretch them to a certain extent, unlike how you can push yourself to sing higher. That is why, if anybody sings, you will notice that you will be able to access your lower range better when you've just woke up, because your vocal chords haven't been used yet, or late at night when your body is relaxed and tired. That's also partly why it's important not to strain your voice. Infact, if I've been yelling, crying, or singing for a long time, I lose easy access to those lowest notes. And when my vocals are feeling nice and relaxed, I can sometimes even croak out a B2!

Can someone explain to me how Lana's vocal range changed from AKA to BTD? Because they are surely not the same?

Age, I guess? It's fascinating.

I know the vocal range of almost all the singers I like! I guess you could classify me as a "vocal range fetishist" too lol.. Lana's known range would be 3 octaves and 2 notes because the high she does in Cola is a C#6 and I don't think she's a soprano, her voice sounds too dark in the lower range and can a soprano go that low anyway O.o ?

I know the vocal range of almost all the singers I like! I guess you could classify me as a "vocal range fetishist" too lol.. Lana's known range would be 3 octaves and 2 notes because the high she does in Cola is a C#6 and I don't think she's a soprano, her voice sounds too dark in the lower range and can a soprano go that low anyway O.o ?

Only Mariah lol... Who classes herself as a contralto. Please tell me you like Sky Ferreira and know her vocal range! :pray:

Only Mariah lol... Who classes herself as a contralto. Please tell me you like Sky Ferreira and know her vocal range! :pray:

Mariah can go lower than Justin Beiber hehe.. I don't, I saw one of her videos a long time ago with a spider in her face and I thought it was a bit odd lol, i like 17 and Everythings embarrasing anyway. She has great control of her voice. What's the highest you ever heard her sing?

Mariah can go lower than Justin Beiber hehe.. I don't, I saw one of her videos a long time ago with a spider in her face and I thought it was a bit odd lol, i like 17 and Everythings embarrasing anyway. She has great control of her voice. What's the highest you ever heard her sing?

I don't know, because the songs I have listened to by her are pretty average as far as high notes go, but I am sure there's more to what I've heard, given the ease she exceeds the notes with. but her lower register is also like :bodyisready:

I heard she has the same vocal range as Mariah... Don't know if there's any truth to that...

Ok I have a question of theory. Now, as gorgeous as Lana's voice sounds when she hits those low notes, often she struggles with them live. So are those lowest notes really still considered part of her range?

I don't know, because the songs I have listened to by her are pretty average as far as high notes go, but I am sure there's more to what I've heard, given the ease she exceeds the notes with. but her lower register is also like :bodyisready: I heard she has the same vocal range as Mariah... Don't know if there's any truth to that...Ok I have a question of theory. Now, as gorgeous as Lana's voice sounds when she hits those low notes, often she struggles with them live. So are those lowest notes really still considered part of her range?

Oh good question. Only if they're fully connected and she has control of them. I assume she has can do it and only avoids these notes because she's nervous and doesn't want to screw it up? Also that is kind of hard note for some people and may sound "breathy", even Beyonce avoids these note sometimes.. She does the C note multiple times in Ride, and C# in Summertime but she NEVER even tries to make them live, so I guess they're not part of her range because we never actually heard her do them.. I believe she can do them but no, as for now not part of known her range..

Oh good question. Only if they're fully connected and she has control of them. I assume she has can do it and only avoids these notes because she's nervous and doesn't want to screw it up? Also that is kind of hard note for some people and may sound "breathy", even Beyonce avoids these note sometimes.. She does the C note multiple times in Ride, and C# in Summertime but she NEVER even tries to make them live, so I guess they're not part of her range because we never actually heard her do them.. I believe she can do them but no, as for now not part of known her range..

I have heard her perform the low C in Ride on one of her performances, but usually she avoids it. And I have heard her struggle with the note before too! I forget what song, it my have been C#, but she tried to hit it, and doesn't quite make it, voice kind of cracks, etc.

I guess if you get her on a good day? Heh

I have heard her perform the low C in Ride on one of her performances, but usually she avoids it. And I have heard her struggle with the note before too! I forget what song, it my have been C#, but she tried to hit it, and doesn't quite make it, voice kind of cracks, etc. I guess if you get her on a good day? Heh

Link pls? :)

Link pls? :)

Low Notes Reached:

Now I have not watched all these videos through at this moment. In some of them it appears a little "hit or miss", sometimes she gets the note, other she doesn't. Just a few examples though!

This one she does both versions

Gorgeous performance

Notes Struggled:

Sometimes you can hear her landing above the note by accident, or her voice sort of gravel as it is pushed and stressed, and then sometimes she avoids the notes on purpose.

Just a few examples :)

MermaidTrailerHeaven, I just now discovered this thread & I love it!! 

I took singing lessons for a few years and there I discovered I was a mezzo-soprano - in layman's terms: you can reach the high notes AND the low notes. thing is, I could never reach the really high notes with other people watching me - the opposite of lana! those vocal heights make me nervous and my throat kind of constricts my vocal chords. alone, however, i can do it  :defeated: i recommend anyone who loves to sing and is curious about their range to take a few classes to know what you are - and see how much you can train your voice and extend its capabilities,to discover its full potential ♥

I, too, am a fan of voices and great singers - my absolute favorite is Jeff Buckley, whose vocal range was four octaves! if you love amazing singers you must know him...he's one of lana's faves, as well. :smile:

here's a link on his range and vocal style: http://www.jeffbuckley.com/rfuller/buckley/faq/07vocals.html

kinda OT, but if you just wanna check out the most vocally awesome songs, this part of his Wikipedia entry is useful: 

"Buckley's voice was a particularly distinguished aspect of his music. He possessed a tenor vocal range,[110] he had a vocal range of between three and a half to four octaves. Buckley made full use of this range in his performance, particularly in the songs from Grace, and reached peaks of high E in the tenor range at the culmination of "Grace" and "So Real". These high notes were unusual for a rock musician in that he sung them with his head voice, rather than in a falsetto, and that he sung them for sustained periods. "Corpus Christi Carol" was sung entirely in a high falsetto. The pitch and volume of his singing was also highly variable, as songs such as "Mojo Pin" and "Dream Brother" began with mid-range quieter vocals before reaching louder, higher peaks near the ending of the songs."

MermaidTrailerHeaven, I just now discovered this thread & I love it!! 

I took singing lessons for a few years and there I discovered I was a mezzo-soprano - in layman's terms: you can reach the high notes AND the low notes. thing is, I could never reach the really high notes with other people watching me - the opposite of lana! those vocal heights make me nervous and my throat kind of constricts my vocal chords. alone, however, i can do it  :defeated: i recommend anyone who loves to sing and is curious about their range to take a few classes to know what you are - and see how much you can train your voice and extend its capabilities,to discover its full potential ♥

I, too, am a fan of voices and great singers - my absolute favorite is Jeff Buckley, whose vocal range was four octaves! if you love amazing singers you must know him...he's one of lana's faves, as well. :smile:

here's a link on his range and vocal style: http://www.jeffbuckley.com/rfuller/buckley/faq/07vocals.html

kinda OT, but if you just wanna check out the most vocally awesome songs, this part of his Wikipedia entry is useful: 

"Buckley's voice was a particularly distinguished aspect of his music. He possessed a tenor vocal range,[110] he had a vocal range of between three and a half to four octaves. Buckley made full use of this range in his performance, particularly in the songs from Grace, and reached peaks of high E in the tenor range at the culmination of "Grace" and "So Real". These high notes were unusual for a rock musician in that he sung them with his head voice, rather than in a falsetto, and that he sung them for sustained periods. "Corpus Christi Carol" was sung entirely in a high falsetto. The pitch and volume of his singing was also highly variable, as songs such as "Mojo Pin" and "Dream Brother" began with mid-range quieter vocals before reaching louder, higher peaks near the ending of the songs."

Amazing, ill check him out, thanks for contributing!

What are your lowest and highest notes? I have really been wanting to take a lesson to lean more about my range, as you said! But I feel a little embarrassed because I am 20.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Lana's range!

Amazing, ill check him out, thanks for contributing!

What are your lowest and highest notes? I have really been wanting to take a lesson to lean more about my range, as you said! But I feel a little embarrassed because I am 20.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Lana's range!

i adore her range and agree with what was discussed here! she is singular ♥ i have to leave now, but will return :)

please do take those classes - FYI i was 27 when i started  :toofunny:  you really won't regret it...i postponed it for years because i thought "if i didn't learn when i was younger..." and it's just ridiculous, because you love it and you'd be doing it for yourself and that is so fulfilling!