Sign in to follow this  
War In My Mind

France Inter "A Very Good Trip": Lana Del Rey, a first encounter

I'm sorry I don't think I chose the right forum, so please move if necessary. I just saw that France Inter, one of the largest radio stations in France dedicated an hour to an analysis of Lana Del Rey's music yesterday. I'll update as I listen if he says any cool bits.

OKAY I HAVE NEVER HEARD THE VERSION OF WEST COAST THEY'RE PLAYING. I LOVE IT.

Okay the radio presenter says that this is part 1 of a 2 "émission" special dedicated to her music.

He says that her voice is truly what distinguishes her from her contemporaries, of Rihanna and Lady Gaga.

He says that even through her immense success and her work with famous and excellent producers, she has avoided trying to "standardize" her sound, which is what often comes with success.

He says the second episode will review her new album TONIGHT. WOOHOO I really am winning. learning french has paid off

Translated text is my own:

Lana Del Rey is a creation, an invention of her own, if you prefer, no more no less than Bob Dylan is an invention of Bobby Zimmerman, son of the electric salesman from a small town in the Midwest.

No one ever said that Bob Dylan was an artificial character and, even though, in a way, he sort of is. Because, and forgive me for opening a can of worms, but all poets invent themselves. And as Lana Del Rey is a woman, a lot of people are less willing to accept that Lizzy Grant, her legal name, created a persona and that she lives this persona. “Video Games” is a song that can provoke a sort of discomfort. The young woman that we see and hear singing appears under the influence, as some would say today. She seems enchanted by her boyfriend, a guy who spends the majority of his days playing video games while, as we imagine, she’s working : The music video mixes archival images, amateur film footage of boys and girls from the past who are having fun, riding on motorcycles without helmets, we see a drunk girl in a dress, for some gala, being supported by a guy who is trying to stop her from falling over, groups of paparazzi in black and white, the Hollywood sign in the fog, the American flag sadly flying, and Lana Del Rey singing in a subdued fashion, no dancing, no movement, dreaming of a glamourous life that she knows only glimpses of, shreds, at best already memories of things already fading despite the fact that she is still young. Her life seems like a complete failure, as people who are that young often feel, because they have not yet truly lived. So, of course, that can make us uncomfortable. As much as Lana Del Rey enacts the image of a passive woman, not strong at all, who feels alienated by the gaze of the man who she loves. Of course, these are not things that she approves of, rather things that she is describing because she has obviously experienced them. Lana Del Rey:   

• Video Games
  • West Coast - Radio Mix
  • Shades of Cool
  • Blue Jeans
  • Born to Die
  • Lust for Life
  • Fucked my way up to the top
  • National Anthem
  • Summer Bummer

Bobby Womack: Dayglo Reflection feat. Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey: Pretty When you Cry

Cat Power: Woman feat. Lana Del Rey

Original French in Spoiler Tags

Spoiler
Spoiler

Lana Del Rey est une création, une invention d’elle-même, si vous préférez, ni plus ni moins que Bob Dylan est une invention de Bobby Zimmerman, fils d’un vendeur d’électro-ménager dans une petite ville du Midwest. 

Personne n’aurait l’idée de dire que Bob Dylan est un personnage artificiel et, pourtant, d’une certaine façon, il l’est. Parce que, pardon d’enfoncer une porte ouverte, tous les poètes s’inventent. Et comme Lana Del Rey est une femme, beaucoup acceptent beaucoup moins facilement que Lizzy Grant, c’est son nom d’état civil, se soit inventé un personnage et qu’elle vive dans ce personnage. 

« Video Games » est une chanson qui peut provoquer une sorte de malaise. La jeune femme qu’on voit et entend chanter a l’air sous emprise, comme on dirait aujourd’hui. Elle semble comme envoûtée par son petit copain, un mec qui passe une partie de ses journées à jouer à des jeux vidéo pendant, on imagine, qu’elle va bosser :

La vidéo de la chanson mêle des images d’archives, des films d’amateurs avec des garçons et des filles d’autrefois qui s’amusent, roulant à moto sans casque, on voit une fille ivre en robe de soirée, pour une quelconque soirée de gala, soutenue par un  gars qui essaie de l’empêcher de tomber, des nuées de paparazzi en noir et blanc, les lettres de Hollywood dans la brume, le drapeau américain tout flapi, qui flotte tristement et Lana Del Rey qui chante d’un air éteint, sans danser, sans bouger, rêvant à toute une vie glamour dont elle ne connaîtra jamais que des bribes, des lambeaux, au mieux des souvenirs qui s’effilochent déjà, alors qu’elle est encore si jeune. 

Sa vie semble un complet ratage, comme on peut le ressentir à cet âge-là, alors qu’on n’a pratiquement rien vécu. Alors, bien sûr, ça peut mettre mal à l’aise. D’autant que Lana Del Rey met en scène l’image d’une une femme passive, pas puissante du tout, qui semble aliénée par le regard que peut avoir sur elle l’homme qu’elle adore. Ce ne sont pas de choses que, bien sûr, elle approuve mais elle les décrit parce qu’elles existent et qu’elle les a, évidemment, vécues.

Lana Del Rey : 

• « Video Games - Remastered » extrait de l’album « Born to Die » (Deluxe Version) 
  • « West Coast - Radio Mix » single « The Remixes » 
  • « Shades of Cool » extrait de l’album « Ultraviolence » 
  • « Blue Jeans » extrait de l’album «  Born to Die » 
  • « Lust for Life » (with The Weeknd) extrait de l’album « Lust for Life » 
  • « Fucked My Way Up to the Top » extrait de l’album « Ultraviolence » 
  • « National Anthem » extrait de l’album « Born to Die » 
  • « Summer Bummer » (feat. A$AP Rocky & Playboy Carti) extrait de l’album « Lust for Life » 

Bobby Womack : « Dayglo Reflection «  (feat. Lana Del Rey) extrait de l’album « The Bravest Man in the Universe » 

Lana Del Rey : « Pretty When You Cry » extrait de l’album « Ultraviolence » 

Cat Power : « Woman » (feat. Lana Del Rey) extrait de l’album « Wanderer » 

https://www.franceinter.fr/emissions/very-good-trip/very-good-trip-24-mars-2021

1136_lana_del_rey_vgt_a_ses_debuts_getty