Sign in to follow this  
AKA Lizzy Grant

Honeymoon Reviews

This one isn't that bad, though. It's much better than the Pretty Much Amazing review.

The Pretty Much Amazing review is ironclad proof a benevolent deity doesn't exist, because music reviewers do.

When Lana Del Rey announced Honeymoon, in an interview with Billboard, she threatened a return to her original sonic template. The good news: Her third LP sounds nothing like Born to Die. (Which is ironclad proof that a benevolent deity exists.) The bad news: It’s a carbon copy of Ultraviolence, minus regular hints of lightness or charm. Del Rey is the primary producer on Honeymoon, with assists from Rick Nowels and Kieron Menzies. It appears she learned the wrong lessons from Ultraviolence's critical and commercial success. The new record marches, with halting steps, toward suffocating, if lovely, dullness. Lana Del Rey overachieves in this regard. Honeymoon becomes interminable about halfway into its runtime.

[..]

Lana Del Rey has never been an expert lyricist, but her best songs mixed deep devotion to an unnamed lover with a deeper self-consciousness. Her new tracks, more direct and assured, are silly, if not embarrassing. “Music to Watch Boys To” builds to a chorus where an irony-free Del Rey declares “I like you a lot/ So I do what you want.” (What a feminist!) On “Art Deco”, she rhymes “you're so Art Deco” with “baby, you're so ghetto.” (Profound!) She regurgitates platitudes on “Religion” (“let sleeping dogs lay” and “chips fall wherever they may”). (Grandma couldn’t have said it better!) “24” gets its name from the insight that “there's only 24 hours in the day.” (So true!) Pet owners, pay heed to this bit of veterinary advice: “If you lie down with dogs, then you'll get fleas.” (Can’t argue with that!) I once praised Lana Del Rey for her sideways allusions to a parade of great artists on Ultraviolence. “The Blackest Day” conveys sadness by invoking Billie Holiday. And why not? “The Blackest Day” and “Billie Holiday” rhyme. (Good enough for me!) Thanks for the T.S. Eliot reading, though.

What an insufferable review. Only 3 paragraphs actually devoted to the album. Most of it dedicated to attempting to find cool and edgy rebuttals to slip into parentheticals. And that tired old "so anti-feminist" critique. Did they even try for this review? It's as cliche as they claim Lana is.