Sign in to follow this  
Say Yes to Heaven

Eminem features Lana in a lyric, yet again.

Here are the lyrics [again] (don't know how accurate):

I'm not going to defend him (too much), but I'll point out the logical possibility that he may be referring to LDR as more of a symptom than a cause, and she's not the actual target of a hostile thought as in his earlier "cypher". Also as in his earlier cypher, there are a lot of names being pushed around and LDR is not the focus. The Big Sean feature has a lot of references to the random violence reported in the news (usually propogated from fear of race) with diversity of targets and direction. Maybe there's an emphasis on police violence ("That’s for Sandra Bland, ho, and Philando", and a reference to Ann Coulter). BTW, no expert on current events. I am constantly typing "define <variable name here>" in google and usually referring to the urban dictionary definition of things to try to understand the verse.  And if he's going to engage in automatic writing (a la Gertrude Stein?), some dark things are going to be dredged up, but these shouldn't be taken as advocations. So I would take his references to LDR as "complimentary" in the sense that she is stuck in his subconscious. That is it's sort of significant that she's appeared twice now. Are there other female personalities that he refers to multiple times across songs? I don't know his work too well, but from what I've heard of Eminem (i.e., I've listened to  the "The Eminem Show"), he's definitely talented and isn't going away anytime soon.

As a fan of rap music, I'm not impressed by this at all. Eminem's act of dissing pop stars stopped being edgy, shocking, or meaningful years ago. Eminem's act on a whole stopped being edgy. He just needs to retire.

giphy.gif