Sign in to follow this  
Sam Gho

Standing Up For Lana Online

I posted this on the MM board, but as this board seems to be more active, I wanted to re-post it here. I don't want to preach, but the unfair way that Lana has been treated really bugs me (I don't recall something like this ever happening before). As we are all here because we care about her, hopefully we can help change how she is portrayed in the media over time.

I think one of the reasons that Lana is having such a difficult time finding traction in the US, despite her huge international success, is that in most blogs, news sites, forums, she has been made into a punching bag. Any news item about her is accompanied by snarky comments dissing her for stuff that is either irrelevant or clearly not true (e.g. from earlier today: http://thegloss.com/...alia-cover-577/). The tone of these news articles (colored by the writer's bias) also seems to drive the tone of the comments that follow, generally insulting and stupid. One of the worst places has been Huffington Post whose readership seems to include a particularly large group of virulent Lana haters.

While generally it is not worth getting into fights with people who write stupid comments, I think it is important for Lana fans to strongly respond to inaccurate, biased, hateful articles/posts, and to do it forcefully and logically. I have been trying to do it for a while (as Sam or Sam Gho) and have found that it makes particularly hateful writers back off, and also changes the tone of the comments that are written subsequently. I am positive that the hater community is relatively small but they seen disproportionately large as they always find time to write nasty comments about Lana. I think if we do stand up for Lana in a organized way it will change the perception about her in the media, and may help this amazingly talented singer/songwriter achieve the recognition, respect and success she so clearly deserves.

Just my 2c.

I agree. I'm not going to go and attack someone over the internet, because it's their opinion. However, if someone does say something about Lana which is false by fact then I won't hesitate so correct them. For example I'd say something like 'Well actually I think you'll find that her father wasn't rich when she grew up.' like that's my style.

4r9w86.jpg