Chris Cuomo

Katy Perry

2 minutes ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

I already Loved like 4 Songs, But the album as a whole has really grown on me.

Still not the biggest fan of Gorgeous or Gimmie

OK we're on the same page then! I really struggle with the instrumentals on both of those songs. Gorgeous has this weird squeaky sound that repeats throughout the whole thing which makes it unlistenable to me, and Gimme Gimme similarly is just really repetitive and "sharp" (I don't know how else to put it). I see why people like both but I just can't do it...

afd75b92a106afc7ae42e7c6aff46bd6.gif

I don't mean to sound condescending, but I wonder if she'll actually use this flopping as a learning experience to do better. 

so far it's been observed that:
- doesn't matter if you're popular, u can fall out of everyone's graces. being popular for the sake of being popular doesn't interest anyone anymore. 
- she needs to cultivate an actual fanbase. she doesn't have anyone to really sing to. other stars have tracks where they interact w their fans, she seems to being singing to no one besides her baby and maybe man? dk 
- stop working w dr luke. no way around that. better to try and find a new way than lose everyone's respect for you as barely an artist anyway. 

- she can inspire or sing more about ideals, but it won't matter if her walk isn't talking the same. 
- needs to dig a bit deeper and actually be more open and willing to be truly vulnerable w her music. at least experiment. 

it's ironic bc she does (unpopular opinion) does have a beautiful unique voice, excellent head tones, strong emotional singing and seductive singing, but she doesn't know what to really sing about at least effectively to communicate that. 
she's physically beautiful, but but the tone deafness at times, or overcompensating/ overacting of this persona's just off putting, or comes off as veiled arrogance. that or she has a thing for degradation, but then if it's that leave us and your career out of it. 

sexual appeal? yeah sure. but there are other ways of being attractive. it just seems a bit dated w the way she goes about it. a lot's changed, and really, that's hardly enough these days. 

actually live out your music, collaborate. experiment again again and again. she's a celebrity, but she doesn't really have a fanbase that'll act as some kind of social capital to really validate whether or not she's likable. 

if she actually gave some kind of care to these, she's got all these problems to really solve and put in her music. if she actually cared enough to anyway. 

she can continue to sink and change nothing, or she can actually transform and do something about it. 

FSiy5w3.giftumblr_nv0881L0Od1s4fz4bo1_500.gifVvJr.gif

Its a fun album tho, but she needs new producers and stick to her honest writing style. idk what yall feels but Katy might not be the best lyricist and her songwriting is nothing too deep or like next level poet or something but she has been always very "her" in the past works, like when u listen to hits like Hot n Cold, Firework, california gurls, she has always been fun, silly, dumb and never shy away about it these songs are so "katy perry" coded, thats why we love her, after witness she sounds like shes trying to be anyone else but Katy herself.

Best tracks in 143 are Wonder and All The Love - which sound the most "Katy" in this album tbh

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

Honestly, it is kinda baffling how it got such low scores from critics if it's only based on the actual album quality. It is mid at worst, there is nothing offensive about it sonically. Most scores I assume are driven by the discourse about the album's background rather than the music itself. It is mid but scoring it 30+ makes it seem as if she released completely unlistenable songs (which she didn't, they were just stale at worst). 

She just needs to work with new people. With 143, at least now she knows that Dr. Luke does not hold the answer as to how she can rekindle her pop sensibilities. I think she should work with Zedd and Bonnie McKee for the next album if she really wants to still play with the pop sound while maintaining the kitsch of her past works (with Bonnie) while also updating her sound (with Zedd).I also think she needs to improve her parasocial game more since she cant really rely on the GP anymore. And with how ruthless a lot of the internet stans are with her, as much of a problem parasocial relationships are in stan culture, she needs to kinda like fight fire with fire and give more incentives why being a Katycat is worth it in 2024. 

While I don't think 143 is bad (I even have some songs on repeat), it really wasn't worth it to experience all of this for such an album. Hopefully she's able to navigate this era better than she did when Witness bombed a few years ago. At least Brazil seems to be living for her, so there's that.