Manueldelrey

Young And Beautiful nominated for Satellite Awards!

Apparently Young and Beautiful wasn't eligible so it won't be getting an Oscar nomination either. I don't know if this is 100% true because the way Interscope said it was being promoted for "awards season" implies they thought it was but I blame Lana's big mouth talking about the song being written for other films on the radio. Had she said nothing, she could have got away with it and rode her Harley to the nomination and probably would have it. It was definitely in contention. It would have been good for her legitimacy in the US, helped turned the critics around a little, but oh well. The sad thing is I doubt she'll get this close to an Oscar again and it would have done wonders for her legitimacy in the US, but then she never gets close to any awards, except the Brits (because we have flawless taste). 

It is absolutely eligible. It got played numerous times before credits during the film.

This is nice but Satellite awards basically mean nothing really. Most winners don't even show up to receive the award.

But I do think she's gonna get nominated to the Golden Globes at least.

No Golden Globe nomination for Lana, guess she won't be getting the Oscar now.

The Golden Globes award is bestowed by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association which is composed of 90 members from around the world (they have a base of operations in L.A.). Granted these are entertainment journalists, but there are so few of them. So why such a keen interest in these nominations and awards? Just asking! I wouldn't dream of snubbing them. It's their awards, they can nominate who they like.

With regard to LDR getting snubbed. The fact that HFPA are journalists is consistent with an interesting LDR polarization I have imagined seeing, namely: critics/journalists tend to dislike her, but artists (e.g., the Grammy voting population) tend to like her. However, the Satellite Award is also of journalist's, and apparently there's more members than in the HFPA, and they did nominate her. So why are the Satellite awards not prestigious?

Unlike HFPA, the International Press Academy includes US press.

I think LDR's biggest Oscar competition (that I know of, at least) is Florence (and for Gatsby too!). If LDR doesn't get nominated, Florence may, but hopefully, both will get nominated. If I were the Oscar's voting population, I might consider LDR's artistic interest in videos and movies as a factor. It may seem like a silly factor, but if all the songs are considered to be equally good, things like that should matter in a voting population like the Oscar one. 

I think LDR's biggest Oscar competition (that I know of, at least) is Florence (and for Gatsby too!). If LDR doesn't get nominated, Florence may, but hopefully, both will get nominated. If I were the Oscar's voting population, I might consider LDR's artistic interest in videos and movies as a factor. It may seem like a silly factor, but if all the songs are considered to be equally good, things like that should matter in a voting population like the Oscar one. 

florence's song hasn't been nominated for anything nor did it chart, y&b was certified platinum twice in australia and once in the us. the wiki page says florence's song was received well by critics but i don't think it'll be nominated for an oscar. also, y&b was called the best song on the soundtrack a few times. the oscar nominations probably won't look that different from the golden globe nominations. just thinking logically, taylor swift has won over 40 awards this year and was nominated for a golden globe in the same category last year (and i know all of you hate her but that really doesn't matter here)

v58A2fc.png

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

So why are the Satellite awards not prestigious?

There's a lot of history behind it, but this article from just this year pretty much explains it.

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/international-press-academy-does-not-see-wolf-of-wall-street-nominates-it-for-five-satellite-awards-anyway#SlcmVayZtM7ZIvut.99

The film landed five nominations, including Best Motion Picture, Director and Actor. Had they seen it? After all, it's only screened for guilds and HFPA so far. Turns out, according to sources, no, they haven't seen it.

The studio confirmed today that they neither submitted nor screened "Wolf" for Satellite Award consideration. And specifically, Van Blaricom, I'm told, didn't see the film. So chalk its mentions up as what they likely are: an attempt to get people like Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio to show up at the March 9 ceremony. And you can probably apply similar logic throughout, whether the films were seen or not. As a result, the organization's list of nominations — which basically reads like an Oscar predictions crib sheet ("Gravity" and "12 Years a Slave" led the way with eight mentions apiece) — loses any shred of credibility it may have had to begin with.

Most of these film awards are just politics but the IPA really take the cake in that regard.

tumblr_msfqg0hpqG1sx7kg2o5_250.gif

I agree totally that the Satellites and Golden Globes are simply awards and nominations based on opinion of a non-artistic population. These opinions can be (and probably are) influenced for reasons other than quality. However, the Satellites might be more valid (as an opinion of the Press) if more people vote in the IPA and their population is less specialized (HFPA excludes the US, by definition). Unfortunately, I can't find IPA voting numbers, so maybe it's a sham organization. However, I'm under the impression that the GGs only reflect the voting of 90 foreign-press members. WTF. Why should their opinion matter much?  How did they get so much  (supposed) validity attached to them? Just asking. Why would the Oscar voting even be influenced by it?

It all just bogs down to exposure, I guess. The Golden Globes are televised while the Satellites are not. So Film Industry people and actors are more likely to go to the Golden Globes to promote their film there. Getting an Oscar nom is all about the right promotion and the Golden Globes are a part of that.

Basically,

tumblr_mglfs0wHW61qe3p9bo1_500.gif

tumblr_msfqg0hpqG1sx7kg2o5_250.gif