Sign in to follow this  
TrippieHippie

I FINALLY got around to hearing the WHOLE Ultraviolence, So this is my opinion.

Hey guys, I'm back. I know it has been a while since I've posted on the boards; but I guess today I had finally had some free.

We all know that Ultraviolence had came out on June 17th, So YES I know I am late.

Today, I FINALLY got to hear the WHOLE album. I had heard only half of the album AND so far, so good. Well when I finally made my way down to tracklist I was very much so pleased.

(My listening source was Spotify.)

I REALLY enjoy ''Money Power Glory'' and ''Fucked my way up to the top''

I think this album shows another side of Lana. Instead of her ''Little Girl'' persona.

It shows the ''softer'' of herself. (Which in her other albums she hadn't really shown) she has when she was with a person she trusted. It showed her good times & and her bad times kinda like the other albums; BUT it was something special about this album that offset every other album she has created.

If I had to give this a rating, I'd give It an 8.9/10

Its has VERY AMAZING lyric choice.

She really captures the emotion of the song. I love how EACH song has its own personality.

It has its OWN ''WOOOOOO!!'' to it.

I do believe she used poor single choices; BUT at times she does use poor single choices.

I think this time she did a BIT better.

In my opinion this how I would have liked it to be; But either way is satisfying. At least she didn't just release singles.

''Fucked my way up to the top

Shades of Cool

Guns and roses

Ultraviolence

Brooklyn Baby

and Money Power Glory''

should have been released as teaser singles. Which would really get people to latch.

Those are my favorite songs.

I'm not saying im completely right either. I would like to hear some of your opinions about it also.

FMWUTTT would never work as a single and G&R is just god awful but besides that I agree with u on those choices for singles.

I love Ultraviolence, right now it ties with AKA as my favourite albums ever. One issue I do have is the reverb on Cruel World is just too fucking much. It really hurts my ears and sometimes I have to skip over it when I'm listening in the car cause it just gives me a headache, which is a shame cause the song itself is great.

I wonder where Lana's gonna go from here especially considering the critic's reaction to this record, UV's gonna be a tough act to follow.

Every song on UV definitely has it's own personality, I totally get what you mean! I think UV is more vulnerable, or "soft" like you said, because we sort of see her shedding her "unconditionally devoted to you" attitude toward love and love lost.

And I agree that her single choices for this album haven't been very strong.

In my own opinion, it's not softer but it's somewhat similar to her May Jailer days (or the days following it but slightly behind her A.K.A Lizzy Grant days) if May Jailer were a little more heavy.

Personally I think Pretty When You Cry would also work (alongside Brooklyn Baby). Guns and Roses is also great but it's kind of just one of those "end of the album" songs that just never really qualify for single status. Similar to Florida Kilos. It's so amazing and catchy but it's just one of those closing songs that wouldn't survive as a single.

Fucked my way up to the top probably couldn't be a single because of it's content, unfortunately .-. Too controversial generally. It would probably get even more feminists punching Lana in the face.

Also, Shades of Cool is probably my least favourite song on the album. I think West Coast definitely works better than Shades of Cool as a single :)