Honeymooner

Young and Beautiful versions

Young and Beautiful versions  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Young and Beautiful do you like better?

• Studio version
    • Orchestral version

I'm curious to know (hence the poll) which version of Young and Beautiful you all like better.

As I understand it, the "Studio" version, sometimes referred to as the "Salon" version, is this one:

Starts out with piano.  For the musically inclined among us, the major chord progression that is repeated is G Major, A Major, B minor, D Major.

Then, there's the "Orchestral" version, which is the one used for the music video:

The chord progression is different:  G Major, E minor, B minor, D Major

I personally much prefer the Studio version.  She has only ever performed that version live once, that I've been able to find, and it was actually the first time the song had EVER been performed live (in Luxembourg at the Rockhal):

This version starts with the piano, just like the Studio version.  Every other live performance I've seen has always been the orchestral version, granted without the orchestra.  It starts with guitar, though, and uses the same chord progression as the Orchestral version.

I attendet the concert where she sang it live for the first time, and I have to say i prefer the orchestral version as a live version. When I watch videos where she performs it, like

I feel like it's more "magic", because the instrumental sounds a little bit "mechanic", which gives the song a special thrill. The piano version was ... nice live, but not really super breathtaking.

Regarding the studio versions, I like both equally.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

The demo

Uh... what's the demo?  Got a link? :)

Definitely Dan Heath's orchestral version. It's more lush and immediate imo.

When I first heard that there were different versions, I wasn't sure what was what.  I hope I said it correctly!  In what I referred to above as the "Studio" version, there is definitely an orchestral element to it.  I could hear strings, piano, a variety of percussion (including timpani, bass, and snare drums), chimes, and French horns.  One thing I like about the studio version is the bridge section ("Dear Lord, when I get to heaven...").  The intensity really builds up there, especially in the strings.  I don't notice as much of a difference in Dan Heath's version.