Sign in to follow this  
DouglasReese

Little Boy Velvet

my new album and whatnot. i used to think 'art explains itself' blah blah, but like.. fuck... whatever at this point.

U1is1IU.png

https://littleboyvelvet.bandcamp.com/album/lbv8-w-digital-booklet 

(the images in the digital booklet were taken by yours truly, as well)

The Morty song

kind of this folk-rock thing. i really loved the airiness to the electric guitar sample, so decided to reverb it up because they sounds so freaking beautiful when they’re a bit shoegazey. the lyrics themselves are inspired by my dog and being in homebound during the pandemic. just had a lot more time to think about things in different ways, and i just thought ‘wow, you really don’t know what’s going on and that’s kind of beautiful you little happy shit.’

Cherry zigs and zags / The old mill

i wanted to do something kind of bluesy because i’ve really been into Son House and Robert Johnson lately. that twang to it with the post-industrial and rock vibes are my cup of tea, i guess. it just sounded like some kind of tacky-ass queer western noir or something. if it had robots. the idea of the cigarettes zig-zagging back and forth is beautiful to me, so i just really wanted to give that a shoutout. lol 

The old mill was inspired by how i was feeling around the time concerning the pandemic rising, and specifically the atmosphere of my city in the greater Seattle area. i really thought about all the elderly, and i saw on snapchat that there were quite a few people i followed who were taking advantage of cheap flight tickets and whatnot. broke my heart to see because it just felt like, selfish? i don’t know. 

He’s so sensual

some reviews feel my voice comes off too sensual or something, which im like okay. one criticism at a time, folks. and just because im gay and singing in the area of genre elements that are usually sis hetero doesn’t mean that im trying to seduce you through your music. (this also stems from other systematic and literal homophobia i face due to my lyrics, often times ones that aren’t even meant to be sexual.)

A picture of you with me

i was scanning through my photo library in the tub. found this beautiful picture of my husband smiling from a few days ago. im always worried the isolation is getting to him since he’s such a people person. when i live photo’d the image, it showed me how forced the smile was, and it kinda made me hurt realizing i didn’t notice at the time. 

Do my friends still dream of Abercrombie?

throwback to my first album and single ‘Abercrombie Dreams’ which was essentially a song that was very apocalyptic - written and done during a depressive time. i had a lot of existential problems that i was seeking treatment for, and still work on to this day, so it’s been an endless battle - much like the number 8 in the title. which, honestly, endlessness and infinity/boredom is a major theme on the album, and adequate to this song’s 12 minute length and my willingness to dive into the experimental when it came to ideas of ‘what it means to be for little boy velvet’ and ‘where is his mind?’

Six feet away or six feet under

SOCIAL DISTANCING PEOPLE

Window water baby moving

named after the short film by Stan Brakhage, where he essentially just recorded his wife giving birth to their first child. it’s a beautiful testament to life itself, and this was a song reflecting on the idea of a rebirth of sorts. it also, i guess in a dark way, seems to suggest that rebirths aren’t completely immediate, and mental health is a battle that will continue even as other areas are healed. to be cheeky with the title, some of the song in parts intentionally ‘floats’ away from being in-sync. 

Rainbow dome

does anybody else remember those huge ass rainbow tarp things the 90s-00s kids would throw up during gym class? something eerie looking back on it. almost ritualistic like a seance. i love that. shows we’re a strong generation. i loved that kinda occult vibration i got from it, so i was like - yeah. is it frowned upon to say its my personal favorite of my tracks here? i also had the instrumental hook (the bombastic synths that come around) due an interpretation (with some alterations) to the theme song from the 90s cartoon Gargoyles, because nostalgia is also an central crux in this album’s concept. 

Dandelion paintbrush

a extension of the above, they were originally one song before i decided against making the entire album ‘progressive rock’ influenced and tracked with three on a single stream. just didn’t make sense to me much since im a digital artist, so i just thought. whatever.

Yeah, you can cry on my shoulder

its a trying time. i love my life and my husband, my family and friends. it’s just been difficult living with depression and ADD, as well as elements of trauma. but, in the end, i dont care how nihilistic and apathetic my depression makes me to the world and/or myself and my art/life, i will forever let someone cry on my shoulder, but please don’t take advantage of my own vulnerabilities. this is just, most of all, a promise to my friends that im here even if the physical act of crying on my shoulder isnt. the joke in the production is the noise tries to keep you away, because that ties into my fear of self-isolating due to my depression long before the COVID pandemic went into effect.

A fairie tale

back when this was a more ‘prog rock’ inspired tracklist, this was called ‘Window water baby moving pt. 2’ and was part of the creation of the predecessor. this, i consider, the outro to the album, and i wanted it to be something somber, dissonate, but still pulsing with a heartbeat of some sort. 

Pure imagination

call me pretentious (see the title of my sixth album), but my ideas with LBV as a character is to represent a voice that is definitely not, well, good. but i feel that when it comes to telling stories, creating atmosphere, imagery, and other facets. i think i make quality stuff waiting to be discovered. it may not be for everybody, but my heart’s in it, and i love chilling out to it sometimes. i just hope others find the sounds as appealing as i do. with this cover - another nostalgic throw, obvs - i just wanted to illustrate, once and for all, that - yes, LBV can’t sing. but also, he may have come to the conclusion that the criticisms are right, and maybe some vocal training (and more patience in my expression), is warranted.

if you give the album a listen - or any of my former tracks - lots of love, and please feel free to share with friends/family you think the style would appeal to. i don’t sell any of my music - it’s all free.  :kiss:

Hey! Well, I'm slowly getting into your music (so far I've only listened to Change of Scenery and ...so pretentious) and so far I'm enjoying it! I know I'm not going in chronological order, but I kinda let my mood choose an album and then play it. LBV5 looks like a good next choice :dua: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2: