Sign in to follow this  
shadesofblue

2024 Summer Olympic Games - Paris

I LOVED THE OPENING CEREMONY SO MUCH OMG!!! :crying: It was kind of different but beautiful! I also loved the fire, Celine Dion's performance and also the rain, it made it so special! :wowcry:

2.gif

the ceremony was great. the only thing i didn't like was the arrival of the athletes by boat. it was not good to see the outfits and i couldn't judge as i would have liked :pft:

Screenshot-20240827-142854-Instagram.jpg

I fucking finally found a replay OMFG. OMFG. OMFG!!!! Thomas Joly président!!!! Cried when they played Ça Balance Pas Mal À Paris, I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG, and my ancestors invented the hot air ballon so imagine my grandma's reaction lmfao, especially since she adores Edith Piaf

4tdWYMA.png

Celine was incredible

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

What is everyone most excited about? Usually for me it's artistic gymnastics and it still is :) I also really like swimming in general, and also weightlifting and fencing. And of course athletics. Maybe running and cycling too! My brother is a horse riding instructor whose hero is a former French olympian so he's beside himself with excitement about that! 

Omg wait I forgot next time will be LA!!!!! SO EXCITING!!!

4tdWYMA.png

13 hours ago, audreysdance said:

The mocking of the last supper was also a bit disrespectful tbh

I agree that it was in poor taste, but from what I heard the theme really was inclusivity and diversity and I think that it's what they were trying to portray, though it did not come out the way it was intended and could have been handled much better :) 

4tdWYMA.png

The opening ceremony was fkn weird. Why were there half submerged heads in the river? I didn't hate it, though. In fact I kinda liked it

ANYWAY the double standard with Shoko Miyata is unreal

Apparently there was a male Japanese gymnast a few years ago who also smoked and drank and no one banned him

She's a 19-year-old woman, ffs. If she wants to smoke and drink then that is HER business (as long as she still meets her sporting obligations like attending training, etc)

Disgust

Also I'm sick of the invented swimming rivalry between Australia and the US. Many of the Australian and US swimmers are good friends so it's ridiculous. Being competitive is fine but the media (in Australia, anyway) makes it into this whole thing and it's dumb

I can't wait to watch the gymnastics later with Simone Biles and Suni Lee and Rebeca Andrade

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

On 7/26/2024 at 9:15 PM, annedauphine said:

The worst logo ever made for the Olympics! Go France! 

My teacher from my previous uni drew the entire font system, so proud of her :wub:

I actually like it

People were criticising the pictograms but I like them; they're so art deco out on the floor

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

10 hours ago, grandpas glass said:

the presentation of the beheaded Marie-Antoinette was also very tasteless

why? 

giphy.gif

On 7/26/2024 at 7:42 PM, audreysdance said:

The mocking of the last supper was also a bit disrespectful tbh

I'm outside of both POVs, so my opinion is just that of an outsider; however, I would use the adjective "critical", rather than "disrespectful", or "mocking" (the latter being the number-1 Christian descriptor of the olympics Last Supper parody I've seen in youtube reactions).  I think LGBTQ+ was just trying to be "critical", in the sense of  -- "Reap what you sow" -- with respect to the long-standing Christian criticism of LGBTQ+ lifestyle. I.E., it's not really any more complicated than a "tit for tat" for that long-standing criticism, and France is on the side of diversity, and/or is selective about what parts of religious doctrine it will follow: i.e., there is nothing against the meaning of the last supper, whatever that is, implied, but there is something more against "ad hominen" attacks of a religion on a population segment.

BTW, the oversized Christ-figure, making the hand-heart symbol and the child at the dinner was just an explicit communication to the effect that LGBTQ+ are not a threat to the displayed child. At least that's my opinion for why the child was there. 

On a brighter note: GOJIRA!

3 hours ago, laurita said:

I am looking forward to the USA vs. Serbia basketball game today.do you have a favourite sport at the Olympics? :popcorn:

Golf, has always been one of my favorite sports and I'm happy that it's now also part of the Olympics.