Jazzmin

Quotes in Lana Songs

In "Playground" she quotes a nursery rhyme : "Rain, rain go away now / Come again another day in the game now"

"Moi je joue"...

Moi je joue
Moi je joue à joue contre joue
Je veux jouer à joue contre vous
Mais vous, le voulez-vous ?

(taken from the orginal version by Brigitte Bardot)

And the wind I know it’s cold

"Ah he's/Harvey's in the sky with diamonds and he's making me crazy" probably a spin on Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Speaking of which, Television Heaven also uses a spin on that:

"Lucy's in the sky with ice tonight"

I guess this is nothing new for most of you...
BTD:  "Lost but now I am found, I can see but once I was blind"
--> Amazing Grace: "I once was lost, but now I am found, Was blind, but now I see"

So Legit: "They said you could make it anywhere if you can make it here"

--> New York, New York by Sinatra: "And if i can make it there, I'm gonna make it anywhere"

And I stumbled over this one:

So Legit: "But where, no magic in the air"

--> On Broadway (recorded by many artists): "They say there's always magic in the air"

lana_takeitoff_notxb4uwe.gif

Guest Dot

Gods & Monsters: "God is dead/God's dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche ("Gott ist tot")

G&M: "Life imitates art" - Oscar Wilde ("Paradoxically though it may seem, it is none the less true that life imitates art far more than art imitates life")

:whitney: Me whenever I see something German on an English-speaking forum...

"A man who makes a beast out of himself got nothing to lose" from Tired of Singing the Blues is probably a 're-adaptation' of "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." (a quote from Samuel Johnson)

"Man makes plans and God laughs" from Starry Eyed is an Yiddish proverb apparently "Man plans and God laughs."

The "ghost in your machine" from She's Not Me is a quote from Ryle (the idea of the 'ghost' in the 'machine' - soul in a body) but it's actually supposed to show how dumb Descartes sounds with his mind-body dualism because philosophers are dicks like that. I wouldn't say the way Lana uses it makes much sense but she did metaphysics not philosophy of the mind after all  :creep: lucky her

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

David Bowie, "Changes" -- "Let's ch-ch-change our DNA"

"Let's take Jesus off the dashboard" reminds me of "Turn the holy pictures so they face the wall" from Bowie's "Ricochet" but that is probably coincidental

But the track before that on Let's Dance is "Without You"--"C-c-can you hear me" (Major Tom)? I can be your "China Girl," 'cause "Criminal(s Run the) World"

The "ghost in your machine" from She's Not Me is a quote from Ryle (the idea of the 'ghost' in the 'machine' - soul in a body) but it's actually supposed to show how dumb Descartes sounds with his mind-body dualism because philosophers are dicks like that. I wouldn't say the way Lana uses it makes much sense but she did metaphysics not philosophy of the mind after all  :creep: lucky her

She seems to be speaking as "soul" (anima) inhabiting the "body" of her lover (in that and a few other songs), so it makes perfect sense in a metaphysical sort of way

Perhaps she was deliberately refuting Ryle by asserting that Soul will always be part of the equation

She seems to be speaking as "soul" (anima) inhabiting the "body" of her lover (in that and a few other songs), so it makes perfect sense in a metaphysical sort of way

Perhaps she was deliberately refuting Ryle by asserting that Soul will always be part of the equation

Ha, that's really interesting, it certainly puts the song in a different light for me - much deeper than I thought of it anyway. Initially I thought it doesn't make sense for her to be the soul in his body but I 'get' it now. 

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

"Put The Radio On" - "Sugar and spice, everything nice", it seems to come from this nursery rhyme. (?)

Already mentioned many times in other threads, "Ultraviolence": "He hit me and it felt like a kiss"  - from the song by The Crystals

And the wind I know it’s cold