Sign in to follow this  
Zenol

Lana accent

Hey! 

So.. one question I've had for years... what accent does Lana exactly have? I'm not a native speaker so it's pretty hard for me to determine whether she has a NY, LA, Standard American or even a British accent.

Can anyone help me with that? Thanks ;)

she has an american accent but she toys with it a bit, adding touches of 'british' elements to infuse a sense of ~sophistication, elegance, culture, intellect, etc i think 

gaga does it too, but it doesn't sound nearly as natural  :toofunny:

ZRBNill.jpg

On AKA you sometimes hear a Southern twang. Here and there.

:heart:  :heart:  :heart:

She is from NY and she does have a NY accent sometimes. It depends on how she toys with her voice. She can pull of multiple southern accents if she tried and her accent usually covers the 'Standard American' the majority of the time.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

I've never heard Lana speak with a New York accent, but it can be heard in her singing.  For example, the way she says "dirty" in "Behind Closed Doors" is straight out of NYC.  (I worked there for three years.)  In the fadeout at the end of the song (behind closed doors, doors, doors, etc.), she clearly says "doas, doas, doas" with the almost silent "r", which is common to various degrees all over the northeast.  (For those outside of the U.S., there are many, many accents in this country.  If one drives up I-95 from NY to Massachusetts, the accents are much different and easily identifiable.  Accents in Houston and Dallas are different, too.  No one on the TV show "Dallas" sounds anything like they are from Dallas - not to me, anyway, and I've lived there.)

Lana has great control of her voice, and the southern inflection she injects into some of her early songs is pretty much perfect.  She doesn't overdo it, so it sounds smooth and natural.

I think she might have put on an accent when she was younger and it just became a lot like that. She sounds like a 50s movie star with a little rich girl from the jersey suburbs and southern flair

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

she has an american accent but she toys with it a bit, adding touches of 'british' elements to infuse a sense of ~sophistication, elegance, culture, intellect, etc i think 

gaga does it too, but it doesn't sound nearly as natural   :toofunny:

When/How does she and Gaga add British elements?

(not being argumentative, just genuinely curious) I've never noticed it before

High up in the Hollywood hills, Taking violet pills

When/How does she and Gaga add British elements?

(not being argumentative, just genuinely curious) I've never noticed it before

The way Gaga speaks so eloquently in some interviews kind of sounds British by the she pronounces her words.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

I've never heard Lana speak with a New York accent, but it can be heard in her singing.  For example, the way she says "dirty" in "Behind Closed Doors" is straight out of NYC.  (I worked there for three years.)  In the fadeout at the end of the song (behind closed doors, doors, doors, etc.), she clearly says "doas, doas, doas" with the almost silent "r", which is common to various degrees all over the northeast.  (For those outside of the U.S., there are many, many accents in this country.  If one drives up I-95 from NY to Massachusetts, the accents are much different and easily identifiable.  Accents in Houston and Dallas are different, too.  No one on the TV show "Dallas" sounds anything like they are from Dallas - not to me, anyway, and I've lived there.)

Lana has great control of her voice, and the southern inflection she injects into some of her early songs is pretty much perfect.  She doesn't overdo it, so it sounds smooth and natural.

If anything Lana sound like she is trying to copy a Long Island/NY Italian accent. I lived in NYC all my life and I have yet to hear a NY accent singularly from Lana.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

The way Gaga speaks so eloquently in some interviews kind of sounds British by the she pronounces her words.

british? like, scottish?

when?

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

british? like, scottish?

when?

I'm not sure if I can pinpoint it because it's so often. But in the intro of the Marry the Night video you can kind of hear it.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

I'm not sure if I can pinpoint it because it's so often. But in the intro of the Marry the Night video you can kind of hear it.

oh sorry i thought you meant lana.

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.