Heaux

Lindsay Zoladz writes positive article discussing Ultraviolence

Its a strange article but i think she likes UV, its kind of hard to tell.

"Ultraviolence has an air of "HI HATERS" drizzled out in gasoline, and an immaculately-manicured finger flicking a cigarette in slow-motion onto the ground."

"I have become the perfect American girl just like you wanted me to, Del Rey seems to be saying, and I'm so lonesome I could die."

http://pitchfork.com/features/ordinary-machines/9440-pretty-when-you-cry/

I don't know is positive the right word but its fair and she makes really interesting points.

idk man the vibe I've always gotten from what Lindsay Zoladz writes about lana is that she just doesn't really get her and tbh, she's trying way too hard. lana isn't some feminist enigma that needs to be deconstructed and analysed to make sense of. Her core themes are pretty obviously love, sex, heartbreak and the attainability of the american dream. the fact that she's singing from a submissive standpoint rather than a dominant one shouldn't really change anything. ppl need 2 learn that sexual submission doesn't always equal misogyny.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I agree, she's not an enigma that has to be rationalized, but I think there is enough ambivalence (and clear statements) in her lyrics that she *can*, in her current UV album, be rationalized in feminist (or humanist) terms. I mean what if LDR had said something like this: "the major theme to UV is that these (submissive?) toxic relationships I've had with my men parallel the toxic the relationships my men have had with drugs, but like my men I can't (easily) stop it." Maybe she doesn't mean this in UV (although that's my preferred interpretation), but her lyrics have enough flexibility or vagueness to allow interpretations like this. There's also a lot throughout UV that suggests she doesn't enjoy the relationships she's singing about, but that she was addicted to them. I mean sure there's the song Ultraviolence, but doesn't that strike people as a sad song? And there are songs like Cruel World and Pretty When You Cry where she is more explicit about not liking the situation. Zoladz doesn't connect the dots as I would wish. 

From PWYC:

All those special times I spent with you my love

They don't mean shit compared to all your drugs

But I don't really mind, I've got much more than that

Like my memories, I don't need that

I'll wait for you, babe

You don't come through, babe

You never do, babe

It's just what you do