Sign in to follow this  
Gecko

Randall's Island, NYC @ Governors Ball - June 7th, 2015

Just got back.

If I had to guess, I would say there must have been 40-50,000 or more people watching Lana. The entire area and more was wall to wall.

It's going to be a packed week with Boston and DC coming up.

The weather was weird for June.

It was really hot in the afternoon, but got really cold waiting for her to go on, then it got hot again.

Great set too btw, and band sounded great.

Really great Serial Killer, Video Games, Shades of Cool, Ultraviolence, Chelsea, and especially Brooklyn Baby

Lana looked great in a sort of NY Yankee shirt.

more tomorrow   One other thing- every act was on time and played the allotted time specified in advance.

Only bad thing was that food was nowhere near where Lana played, nor in any of the VIP tents. Drinks/sodas yes. And the walking was forever from the ferry to the entrance (and back) and from one end to the other.
Also, could not find any Lana items for sale except for the Endless Summer shirt, and the Governors Ball shirts..

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

From Billboard:

"9:19 PM: Lana Del Rey's intoxicating voice is barely audible from the middle of the left side of her audience during her opening song, as the Black Keys' garage rock bleeds over from the main stage. Many audience members too far away from Del Rey simply give up five minutes in, and drift toward the act they can actually hear."

So that's what happened

From Billboard:

"9:19 PM: Lana Del Rey's intoxicating voice is barely audible from the middle of the left side of her audience during her opening song, as the Black Keys' garage rock bleeds over from the main stage. Many audience members too far away from Del Rey simply give up five minutes in, and drift toward the act they can actually hear."

So that's what happened

During the entire show, she kept adjusting sound balances (or whatever you call them don't judge me lol). There were some mic feedbacks, but it wasn't too bad. Besides, it's kinda hard to know what to set your settings to without a soundcheck, and obviously it's a festival so Lana couldn't do one. She has been putting a lot of emphasis and effort into her soundchecks to make sure her music is being played the way she wants it to be played.

She also said something along the lines of "I hope you guys can hear the music well. I know the stage is hella loud." The Black Keys' music was loud and noticeable during some of the quiet parts of her show. I feel really bad for Lana because I'd think that she'd take it personal is people left her show.

Overall, I enjoyed the show! She was really into her band's performance especially in Shades of Cool. It was my favorite song that she sang because I love how she has slowed down the first part kf the chorus to optimize her voice! It sounds amazing live! And during the bridge, Lana just closed her eyes and danced. She didn't sing during it, and she just really got into the music!

Btw she skipped 3 songs from her setlist: Us Against the World ( I really wanted to her this song, and I'd thought she'd sang it due to its jazzy New York roots), YCBTB/FMWUTTT, and Do Right.

tumblr_nir4q4a8RT1u4ss0ao1_500.png

So initially I had been planning to start camping out for Lana at 6:45pm during Big Gigantic's set. I had been at the festival for the two days before and I noticed that the crowds dissipated after each act was done, so I thought if I made it early for a relatively unknown act and then stayed behind once everyone left, that I'd have a good chance to be at the front.

Well, when I arrived to the island at around 1:30, I went on twitter to see what a couple of Lana fans that I knew were attending were up to, and I saw that they had already started camping out for Lana hours earlier, so I decided to go check the VIP section of the Honda stage and sure enough, there were already like 10 people camping out. So I decided to just sit down and wait from then on. I had been hoping to get a selfie with Lana, but since the others had already taken up the spots in the front row against the gate, I knew I would just have to settle for second row.

So I basically waited 8 hours. Everyone around me was pretty nice, but once the show started there was a fight near me after some kid pushed this girl's sister and she punched him back. During the show some other girl had to be taken out because everyone around her was complaining that she was pushing and "terrorizing" everyone. Luckily she wasn't near me. 

I had a really great view of Lana and I didn't have to deal with people pushing me or being crazy, so I had a pretty good time!

My only complaint is that the show felt too short, even though I already knew that her set was only scheduled to be 1 hour and 15 minutes. 

I definitely want to try and see her again. Now I know that if I want to get a selfie I have to arrive really, really, really early.

149o3h3.jpg