Sign in to follow this  
VelvetNight

VelvetNight's Replica MTWBT Headphones- Tutorial

Hi everyone, I'm going to try to replicate Lana's MTWBT headphones for my Lana Del Rebirthday (commemorating the first time I saw Lana in concert October 19, 2014, which was when I started becoming completely obsessed with Lana). I probably won't make them in time for my rebirthday but I will try for Halloween.

http://instagram.com/p/7sqykPFnmg/

I figured I'll post a tutorial for anyone that would also like to be Lana on Halloween. I'm still waiting for the headphones to arrive from Amazon, so I'm going to update this main post as I go.

Materials

• Headphones

An LB member (let me know if it's okay to mention you) pointed out that the headphones are built on these: HMHWTgzt.jpgwhich I found on Amazon by searching "Candeez". The Sweetarts ones are more expensive, so I ordered the Laffy Taffy ones because they also have white ear padding and pink cords, everything else is covered up anyway.

• Crayola Model Magic for making the frangipanis or you can order 4 foam frangipanis from ebay

I didn't order the foam frangipanis because I didn't want to wait for them to arrive, but it def would have been a lot easier

• 6-8 Pink fabric/paper roses

I got mine from Ardene's (accessories store, like Claire's) and they are actually hair ties. Afterwards I found better ones at Michaels (craft store) in their floral section

• Green ribbon or fake long grass/leaves

the band part of Lana's headphones look like they are covered by long leaves weaved together. I couldn't find fake long leaves so I settled for ribbon

• Pearl stickers or pearl beads

Got the stickers at a dollar store, beads at Michaels

• 4 3D Star stickers or star beads

I couldn't find any star beads so I settled for the 3D stickers

• 1 Bee charm

If you look closely at Lana's left ear in the MV, there is a bee on the bottom of the frangipani. I couldn't find a really cool looking one like her's so I settled with one I found in the bead section of Michael's

• Glue

I'm using Shoe goo which is a really strong glue for repairing shoes, you can use whatever strong glue you have

• Blue Paint
    I6j8v2om.jpg

Tools

• Scissors
  • Knife
  • Pencil
  • Small cup (I'm using an empty mini candle jar from Bath and Body Works)
  • Paint brush

Directions

Make the frangipanis (skip this if you have the foam ones). You can also watch Youtube tutorials by searching "make frangipani". You will need to make 4 flowers.

1. Make a teardrop shape stencil for the petals. Mine is cut from a foil wrapper. If you make if from paper, it will stick to the model magic, so use a thick plastic bag/foil packaging.
  2. Roll out the Model Magic.
  3. Trace your teardrop stencil on the Model Magic with a knife. oTJnJO8t.jpg
  4. Remove the stencil and cut the petal out. It's best to cut the petal out because it makes a nice smooth edge.
  5. Repeat 4 times to make a total of 5 petals.
  6. Pinch along the left side of each petal to make a raised edge. Smooth the outer edge with the side of a knife.YmpGrZ0t.jpg
  7. Place the 5 petals in a semi circle. 4lGAMACt.jpg
  8. Pull the right side of the last petal under the left side of the first petal. Ix9ieLKt.jpg
  9. Shape the petals to curve outwards. Place in a small cup to dry overnight. wb7xGyct.jpg
  10. When dry, paint the middle of the flower blue.
  11. Glue a star into the middle of the flower.

Wrap the head band of the headphones

1. Cut one piece of ribbon (we'll call this ribbon A) long enough to wrap around the headphone band from ear to ear. QM1S2jcm.jpg
  2. Cut another piece of ribbon (ribbon B) that is double the length of the headphone band plus an inch more.
  3. At the end of the left side of the headphone band glue ribbon B on the outside of the headphone band. Glue it more to the left so it's edge is along the edge of the headphone band. It should be in the direction parallel with the headphone band.
  4. At the left side of the headphone band, glue ribbon A on the inside of the headphone band so it's perpendicular to the headphone band.
  5. Wrap ribbon A around the headphone band until it reaches the right ear. Leave ribbon B outside of the wrapped headphone band. Glue the end of ribbon A onto the inside of the headphone band.
  6. On the loose end of ribbon B, wrap it with a bit of tape and cut the tape into an arrow. This will help you weave the ribbon. glP1hxCl.jpg
  7. Weave ribbon B in and out of ribbon A. TRConSrm.jpg
  8. When you reach the right ear, start wrapping ribbon B back towards the left ear. Glue ribbon B down on the inside of the headphone band. KN3H4ZPm.jpg

Glue the flowers, pearls and bee onto the ears! (Almost done, yay!)

l0o5K1Ym.jpggdMkWjdm.jpg?1

1. Position the front facing frangipani to your liking and glue it down. I wanted the red part of the headphones to be mostly covered.
  2. Glue the another frangipani facing the back. I put mine lower than the front facing flower so the top doesn't stick out behind the front facing flower.
  3. Glue the pink fabric roses in between the two frangipanis and cover the rest of the visible headphones with pearls and the bee on the left ear.

Yay, now you can put on music to watch boys to! I will update with final product pictures once I'm done.

Bury me to Bel Air.

I got no money for this  :crai:  :crai:  :crai:  Looks very cool though

TBH, this cost way more than I expected, like almost $40 :( and now I have an extra pair of headphones cause I ordered the wrong ones at first.

Bury me to Bel Air.