AKASAKA SAWAYAMA

SKOTT

There's a few exciting things in the works. I just realized Overcome has over 6 million streams on Spotify, which is wild.

Album announcement coming soon... The record is the result of a difficult time that Skott has tried to turn into something positive and she describes it like this:

"It's a bit more playful and uplifting than what I've done before. In terms of melancholy is the same but the colors are brighter than on the last album. I wanted to focus on what gives me energy and hope in this life."

Hm. I like the verses and the chorus but I don't know how to feel about that weird synth in the background, serving vocals and melodies, imo.

Co-written with Linnea Sodahl, which was also involved in "Mermaid", they also wrote a song titled "Fire Trucks On Fire" or something like that.

"Roses N Guns" the sophomore album, set to be released on 03/03.

pNzf7ay.jpeg

"Roses N Guns" is a newly discovered place in Skott's multiverse, an unexplored continent on the same planet as "Always Live for Always". Different sides of the same celestial body, "Always Live for Always" with a magnificent landscape full of mountains and "Roses N Guns" with many hours of sunshine and deep rainforests.

11 minutes ago, bad liar said:

"Roses N Guns" the sophomore album, set to be released on 03/03.

pNzf7ay.jpeg

"Roses N Guns" is a newly discovered place in Skott's multiverse, an unexplored continent on the same planet as "Always Live for Always". Different sides of the same celestial body, "Always Live for Always" with a magnificent landscape full of mountains and "Roses N Guns" with many hours of sunshine and deep rainforests.

OMGGGGG :oprah4: this sounds like a beautiful description, I just love the way she works on her albums as parts of a whole universe. Both ALFA and ALFU are beautiful bodies of work, can't wait for RNG! :omg: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

Tracklist:

01. Roses N Guns.

02. Glad It's S.A.D.

03. Once In a While [Smile].

04. Evergreen.

05. Hollywood Love.

06. Silver Bridges.

07. Firetrucks On Fire.

08. Hail Mary.

09. Sunshine.

10. Memory Shore.

OMG I finally listened to it and I'm so happy with it. Still don't know whether I prefer Always Live for Always or Roses N Guns but sure thing I really liked the new album.

Spoiler
  1. Roses N Guns. 9/10 - amazing introduction to the album. I love how the song starts softly and progresses to become darker in terms of production. Incredible track.
  2. Glad it's S.A.D.. 9/10 - I liked this one but I think I need more time with it to fully appreciate it. I loved that it sounds more stripped down, I think that sound really suits her voice so much.
  3. Once in a While [smile]. 8/10 - this one sounds good and my favourite element from it is the catchy melody. However, I think it lacks something, can't quite put my finger on what is it. I do feel it will grow on me.
  4. Evergreen. 5/10 - while I appreciate her effort in ore upbeat tracks, I'm not completely sold on this one. Once again, it's missing some life, probably in the chorus. Skott herself has upbeat songs in her previous catalog that sound more lively (Lack of Emotion, My Name, Stay Awake) yet this one felt... dull. Hope it will grow.
  5. Hollywood Love. 8/10 - this was a surprise, I was not expecting it to sound like it does but I'm intrigued. I'll definitely keep an ear on it because it sounds like a grower. Production is my favourite element of this one. EDIT: on 2nd listen it clicked, I love the bass, the melodies and her vocals. Updated from 6 to 8.
  6. Silver Bridges. 10/10 - one of my favourites on this album, hands down. Everything on it is perfect - lyrics, melody, production, vocal delivery, (those guitars!)... career highlight.
  7. Firetrucks on Fire. 9/10 - beautiful song, the piano intercuts during the chorus were unexpected but they really add to the song.
  8. Hail Mary. 9/10 - another one of my favourites, I love that this one finally shows a little of the grand, epic productions shown in her previous album and EPs (akin to Amelia, Settle Down, Mermaid, Porcelain) and the vocal layer in this song is impressive.
  9. Sunshine. 8/10 - I love the bouncy production in this one. It once again reminds me a little of Lack of Emotion, which I really adore.
  10. Memory Shore. 10/10 - the perfect outro to the album. Her vocals are so soft yet touching, one of her best vocal moments in her career so far. The production, immaculate.

Overall - I really enjoyed this album, mostly its second half. While her previous records were more distinctive between each other (the upbeat Stay Off My Mind, the epic A Letter from the Universe and the indie-tinged pop Always Live for Always) this one feels like it borrows parts from each of them and is not necessarily a bad thing - however it sometimes falls short when trying to sound more enthusiastic (Evergreen, Hollywood Love) while its highs are higher than other moments in her career (Silver Bridges, Memory Shore). Nonetheless, it feels cohesive and uniform as an album, which I really appreciate - and I'm sure I'll be revisiting it frequently.

Favourites - Silver Bridges, Memory Shore, Hail Mary, Roses N Guns.

Least favourites - Evergreen

I've continued to listen to the album in these past days and I'm truly amazed. Hail Mary, Silver Bridges and title track are my favourites, but now I grew to love everything on it there's really not a bad song in the album :wowcry: she really did THAT.