pinupgirls

Vintage Lana vs. Rocker(?) Lana

Vintage Lana was really cool style-wise. The sound was iconic aswell, but I don't think I want her to go back there, at least not using the Lolita-in-the-hood/ Gangster Nancy Sinatra Style, as I feel like she exhausted this style/persona. If she does the vintage diva thing again, I'd hope for a more mature version (like the Another Man poster)

Rock Lana ... I love the sound and the one Neil Krug photoshoot, but apart from this, this era didn't really have any consistent visuals, which was a huge let-down.

Like, she could have rocked the vampire-princess style she had at the versace runway show or some more leather-jacket/flower dress outfits but she dropped this and just wore some strange summer-dresses.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I think many people prefer rocker Lana because they associate it with her becoming more self-assured, naturalistic, and raw, but I think that has a lot more to do with the experience she's gained through the years rather than the change of style. Although I prefer the Ultraviolence era music I almost feel that her rocker/bad girl persona is more of a pose in that she's deliberately channeling something that is only authentic when it has nothing to do with a consciously affected attitude or aesthetic. And though Lana often says she doesn't care about fashion/the way she looks, it's obvious from early on that image was something she put a lot of thought into. I mean, wearing fake nails, eyelashes, hair extensions, and full makeup/styled hair, in addition to having had plastic surgery done just makes those kinds of statements sound ridiculous. I wish Lana would own her glamour more rather than try to downplay it. On some level, I think she's doing it in an effort to be taken seriously and deflect the accusations about her being 'manufactured'.

That being said, I think she looks sexy as fuck with the smudged dark eye makeup and natural hair.