Sign in to follow this  
Speed Driving Coconuts

CRPGs

I thought of making a thread for specific CRPG titles but I think that the game genre is very niche so I just ended up making a thread for CRPGs in general. In case people are unaware, CRPGs are video games (insert Lana pun) that are inspired by tabletop games such as D&D, Pathfinder, etc. These included beloved classics such as Baldur's Gate, and Neverwinter Nights, as well as more modern staples of the genre such as Divinity Original Sin 2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Pathfinder WOTR, Pillars of Eternity, etc. 

The biggest upcoming CRPG release is Baldur's Gate 3, which is developed by Larian Studios (same dev as Divinity Original Sin 2) and it's gonna be released on Aug 3. I'm personally excited for it, but I decided not to buy it on launch since games nowadays are really buggy on their Day 1 launches. 

Anyone here plays/played any CRPG titles?

I saw the Title & Your username thinking it meant Car RPGs…

:xcry:

I play Diablo & My character is Madonna.

EDIT:

Wait so Cyberpunk had a tabletop RPG, I’ve not finished the video game yet - Yes my character is Madonna in it too!

:ma:

IMG-3521.jpg

I just want to say I can fucking appreciate the avatar since Witcher is my favourite universe of all time, going to get Ciri tattooed in Sep she's by far my fav char ever :D

But to stay on topic, I always wanted to try Baldur but I don't have time to play, is it worth it? I also completely 100%ed CP77, so excited for Phantom Liberty, also does Fallout count? What do you personally recommend is the best title? Also I'm curious didn't knew Diablo was inspired by tabletop games!!

ZKcaooE.png

10 minutes ago, annedauphine said:

What do you personally recommend is the best title?

I can't give you a concrete answer as to what the actual "best" CRPG is since gamers have different criteria when it comes to which game's implementation of tabletop rules end up being the best. Like some of them prefer if the games stayed as true as possible to the tabletop rules, while others prefer the simplified and modified version. For me, I always say that Divinity Original Sin 2 is the best CRPG to play if you want to try your hands on the CRPG genre. The game is simple enough that you wont get overwhelmed with the mechanics, but it's also a game with so much in it that even in my fifth replay I was still able to discover new stuff in it.

The other titles that I mentioned (Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity, etc.) are more true to the tabletop experience but that's also sort of their weakness since the learning curve is so steep. I played Pathfinder Kingmaker after playing Divinity Original Sin 2 and I struggled a lot. I probably would have struggled more if I didn't play DOS2  beforehand and most likely I would have been turned off with the genre if ever. 

tl;dr: Play Divinity Original Sin 2 if you want a good entry title for the CRPG genre. Also, Baldur's Gate 3 is made by the same devs and it hasn't been released yet. But based on how amazing Divinity Original Sin 2 is, I'm pretty sure it's also gonna be good. CRPGs are notorious for their very long playtimes though so just keep that in mind. I would compare it to playing the Sims where it doesn't feel like a drag to play, but when you check the time, you'll realize you've been playing for 6 hours straight lol. 

3 minutes ago, Speed Driving Coconuts said:

I can't give you a concrete answer as to what the actual "best" CRPG is since gamers have different criteria when it comes to which game's implementation of tabletop rules end up being the best. Like some of them prefer if the games stayed as true as possible to the tabletop rules, while others prefer the simplified and modified version. For me, I always say that Divinity Original Sin 2 is the best CRPG to play if you want to try your hands on the CRPG genre. The game is simple enough that you wont get overwhelmed with the mechanics, but it's also a game with so much in it that even in my fifth replay I was still able to discover new stuff in it.

The other titles that I mentioned (Pathfinder, Pillars of Eternity, etc.) are more true to the tabletop experience but that's also sort of their weakness since the learning curve is so steep. I played Pathfinder Kingmaker after playing Divinity Original Sin 2 and I struggled a lot. I probably would have struggled more if I didn't play DOS2  beforehand and most likely I would have been turned off with the genre if ever. 

tl;dr: Play Divinity Original Sin 2 if you want a good entry title for the CRPG genre. Also, Baldur's Gate 3 is made by the same devs and it hasn't been released yet. But based on how amazing Divinity Original Sin 2 is, I'm pretty sure it's also gonna be good. CRPGs are notorious for their very long playtimes though so just keep that in mind. I would compare it to playing the Sims where it doesn't feel like a drag to play, but when you check the time, you'll realize you've been playing for 6 hours straight lol. 

Fascinating!! Thank you so much for your answer and for answering in depth; I am neck deep in TOTK currently but will check out DOS2 with pleasure :D

ZKcaooE.png

Hey @Speed Driving Coconuts, creating a thread for CRPGs is a fantastic idea! It's true that CRPGs have a dedicated fan base, and they're inspired by some iconic tabletop games.
I totally get your caution about waiting for a stable release, especially considering the trend of Day 1 bugs in modern games. Sometimes it feels like you have to flip a coin to determine if it'll be smooth sailing or a bumpy ride at launch.
Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios does sound exciting, and I'm sure many gamers are eagerly awaiting its release. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this genre; it's always great to connect with fellow CRPG enthusiasts!

21 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

Is Cyberpunk 2077 a CRPG

I don't think so since CRPGs are known for their heavy tabletop inspiration so they're mostly isometric games with turn based or real time pause elements. I think Cyberpunk 2077 is more in line with modern RPGs such as Witcher 3 and what-not. 

1 minute ago, Speed Driving Coconuts said:

I don't think so since CRPGs are known for their heavy tabletop inspiration so they're mostly isometric games with turn based or real time pause elements. I think Cyberpunk 2077 is more in line with modern RPGs such as Witcher 3 and what-not. 

I didn’t know bc it’s origin comes from the Tabletop RP game from the 80s of the same name!