Sign in to follow this  
MakingOut

Ecuador declares ‘war’ on gangs amid rising violence.

I've been following this and it's absolutely heartbreaking. In general it seems like it's all very very bad news in the world, no matter the country. Did people forget about peace at all?

7 minutes ago, PARADIXO said:

I've been following this and it's absolutely heartbreaking. In general it seems like it's all very very bad news in the world, no matter the country. Did people forget about peace at all?

what’s sad is that i haven’t seen shit about this, but when anything happens in Europe i swear the whole world has to stop. it’s really sad honestly i wish people would be more educated and aware about these topics!

20 minutes ago, MakingOut said:

what’s sad is that i haven’t seen shit about this, but when anything happens in Europe i swear the whole world has to stop. it’s really sad honestly i wish people would be more educated and aware about these topics!

Absolutely. The whole world needs to know what's going in down here in South America.

I know this is off-topic but still

arg

What's happening in Argentina right now (where I live...) is fucking hell. Second highest inflation rate in the entire world, only behind Zimbabwe and above Lebanon. That's fucking insane and it's unlivable. And the worse is that this is only the beginning. South America is fucking doomed. I pray for our future.

3 minutes ago, Beautiful Loser said:

I’ve heard about this on the radio news but they’re so short and quick, I didn’t quite understand what’s happening.

Geographically, Ecuador is located between Colombia and Peru, the two main cocaine producing countries in the world. It also possesses the port of Guayaquil, an important gateway that suffers from poor oversight by Ecuadorian authorities. Until 2016 the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) controlled cocaine trafficking operations between Colombia and Ecuador. Following a peace agreement between FARC and the Colombian government that year which led to the former withdrawing from main cocaine producing areas, some dissident FARC members founded their own drug gangs. Due to better control of the Colombian government over transportation hubs, drug trafficking from Colombia decreased and its operations moved to Ecuador.

The lower demand for cocaine in the United States alongside the Colombian peace process created a power vacuum that saw Albanian, Mexican and Venezuelan criminal groups attempt to control drug trafficking routes out of Ecuador. Former Minister of Interior and head of the National Police of Peru, Eduardo Pérez Rocha, said after the conflict began that the increased violence in Ecuador was due to the presence of the international Venezuelan gang Tren de Aragua, resulting with a higher intensity of criminal activity.

Since 2018, Ecuador has faced a historic wave of violence as the country has become a critical cocaine transit point, and organized crime groups compete for control of drug routes and prisons. Hundreds of prison inmates have been killed in prison fights.

On 7 January 2024, Los Choneros leader José Adolfo Macías Villamar escaped from prison in Guayaquil on the day of his scheduled transfer to a maximum-security prison. The events were reported the next day by authorities, with charges being filed against two corrections officers. On 9 January, Fabricio Colon Pico, the leader of another criminal group, Los Lobos, also escaped from prison in Riobamba four days after he had been arrested for plotting to kill Attorney-General Diana Salazar Méndez. Following the escape, President Daniel Noboa declared a state of emergency to last for 60 days, which led to the turmoil happening right now.