Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

Old Money: What's its meaning for you?

this is my fav song of UV - i pick my username from this song- like really makes me cry and rethink my life the whole day :icant:  there's a certain tone of melancholic/lost love in this song that just to me it's simply beautiful and haunting. Even when things are practically over if this other person calls for her, she will run immediately to him and that kind of feeling towards other person is very precious.

I think that the first and last verses of the song are so unique and kinda remind me things that were good in the past and made me sooo happy but they are long gone so i just have to hold onto the happy memories. In the end it's a beautiful/sad song and that captive me from the beginning to the end.

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes"

I think its a reflective song. The now: 'red racing cars, sunset and vine' and then 'sunset small town'. Like shes making a comparision between her old life and new life. Maybe she's not actually talking about a person when she says 'if you call for me etc'

tumblr_myss44sOvJ1sut3cso1_250.gif

When I first heard it, I thought it was simply about love. Now, I think it's her reflecting on her own mortality and the life she's lived.

giphy.gif

My mom loves this song :)  So do I.  It's just so LUSH.

Well, I've been assuming the "old money" reference was perhaps referring to the fact that her teenage love came from old money- racing cars, cash, cashmere etc.- all of the things he gave to her.  Her own life was simpler than that (sunsets, small town).  She became entranced by the new lifestyle and fell in love with him through that.  I feel like the narrator felt very alone and unloved before meeting this guy and is now feeling lonely again as an adult.  So she reflects on the past and wishes she could feel that way again.

Just like to ask does anyone know the reference of the song being called Old Money?, as she doesn't say those words during the song.

Old money refers to established aristocratic families. People who got their fortune by inheritance. This is in comparison to people who make their fortune quickly, the nouveau riche. If you've read our seen The Great Gatsby, the Buchanans are old money while Gatsby is nouveau riche.

Old money refers to established aristocratic families. People who got their fortune by inheritance. This is in comparison to people who make their fortune quickly, the nouveau riche. If you've read our seen The Great Gatsby, the Buchanans are old money while Gatsby is nouveau riche.

Oh I know what the phrase Old Money means, I just don't quite understand in terms of this song, why its called Old Money, because I don't get the comparison to this song in relation to the phrase of Old Money. Maybe she see's the relationship like old money, like she got her fortune fast but lost it or something.

My mom loves this song  :)  So do I.  It's just so LUSH.

Well, I've been assuming the "old money" reference was perhaps referring to the fact that her teenage love came from old money- racing cars, cash, cashmere etc.- all of the things he gave to her.  Her own life was simpler than that (sunsets, small town).  She became entranced by the new lifestyle and fell in love with him through that.  I feel like the narrator felt very alone and unloved before meeting this guy and is now feeling lonely again as an adult.  So she reflects on the past and wishes she could feel that way again.

That's a good theory, I like that.

qsVmBMd.png

This post reminded me that it almost has to be related to this poem by Rilke -- http://www.thebeckoning.com/poetry/rilke/rilke6.html

Just as the remnant green in tinted pot
So are these leaves, now rough and wrecked
Behind the flower umbels, that reflect
Only a hue of blue, more do they not.

Reflected are they, tear-stained, imperfect,
As if this they were prone to cease,
And as in blue and aged paper leaves
There´s yellow within, grey and violet.

Faded like a washed-out pinafore
No longer worn and of so little use:
How do we our too-short life endure.

But suddenly a blue renewed is seen