AKA Lizzy Grant

SOPHIE

17 minutes ago, wulgaren said:

nope, all new stuff

---

i think this wouldve been way better off just calling itself a compilation instead of the long awaited second sophie album. it really feels like a bunch of demos put together, with weak transitions and awkward beat switchups. music is great because its sophie but the release feels wrong and going into it with the album headspace ruined the experience for me i think

The family has stated time and time again that this is absolutely not the case, and this is an album that had all of the tracks only touches away from being complete & a finalized tracklist before she died. 

I don't love the tracklist either, and I also think that some of the artistic choices sound odd (haven't listened yet but going off the singles and what people in here have said), but what we have to remember is that if this album is underwhelming, it's underwhelming because of the decisions SOPHIE made. 

Honestly seems like some people are using her grieving family as a scapegoat because you don't like the album but don't want to criticise the deceased. 

9 hours ago, Cuntrol said:

So good, but for sure not a "pop album" as was planned by her originally 

(Ty mods for deleting the accidental double post, it wasn't updating for me)

Also y'all saying 'no skips', when SOMEHOW Plunging Asymptote (which is already released, YEARS ago, that's bullshit) is on it, that's fucking crazy. That song is objectively trash, stop pretending to be bougie and act like it's art. It's shit. 

Is it "objectively trash" or can you just not understand more abstract music? Some of you people would crumble if you had to listen to a noise album. 

9 minutes ago, czikszentmihalyi said:

The family has stated time and time again that this is absolutely not the case, and this is an album that had all of the tracks only touches away from being complete & a finalized tracklist before she died. 

I don't love the tracklist either, and I also think that some of the artistic choices sound odd (haven't listened yet but going off the singles and what people in here have said), but what we have to remember is that if this album is underwhelming, it's underwhelming because of the decisions SOPHIE made. 

Honestly seems like some people are using her grieving family as a scapegoat because you don't like the album but don't want to criticise the deceased. 

Is it "objectively trash" or can you just not understand more abstract music? Some of you people would crumble if you had to listen to a noise album. 

based on the more recent interviews it didnt come across to me as "only touches away from being complete"
we can only speculate on this really in the end, but im just sharing how i feel about it and im definitely not trying to make the family a scapegoat. i appreciate what they did because it mustve been a hard process and i admire that. the mixing and mastering is absolutely stellar

1 minute ago, wulgaren said:

based on the more recent interviews it didnt come across to me as "only touches away from being complete"
we can only speculate on this really in the end, but im just sharing how i feel about it and im definitely not trying to make the family a scapegoat. i appreciate what they did because it mustve been a hard process and i admire that. the mixing and mastering is absolutely stellar

but why speculate when we are told? i really doubt her family would purposefully "ruin" the album for some reason. i feel like this is exactly the reaction people wouldve had if sophie released the album. sophie never gave people what they wanted, and im pretty sure oil had a similar reception lol

Why are people so obsessed with knowing MORE than the people who were closest to her and collaborated with her?? We got 2 very in depth articles and you STILL have shit to say.

Also, SOPHIE was an experimental musician who THRIVED on messing with people, if you’re disturbed by “random beat switch ups” then that’s entirely on you.

You’re the problem here. Why force yourself into liking music you don’t actually have the capacity to understand, just to shit on it

10 minutes ago, Time said:

Why are people so obsessed with knowing MORE than the people who were closest to her and collaborated with her?? We got 2 very in depth articles and you STILL have shit to say.

Also, SOPHIE was an experimental musician who THRIVED on messing with people, if you’re disturbed by “random beat switch ups” then that’s entirely on you.

You’re the problem here. Why force yourself into liking music you don’t actually have the capacity to understand, just to shit on it

why are you being so elitist lol

i don’t mind random beat switchups, i just feel the transitioning between them is sloppy. i like the music, it’s just some minor criticism i have.

also i meant speculating on where sophie would head with this album, not the situation around it. ben himself said some tracks were less finished, and he was just going off his instinct. which is not a couple of touches away nor a finalized product by any means. i’m not trying to know more than the family i’m just going based on facts they said. 

they tried their best working with what they had and i appreciate that, i just said in the beginning that because of its unfinished state (ben mentioned some tracks were just one day long sessions) it would probably be better to say it was a compilation than an album for the general reception, to avoid the unnecessary backlash from too much hype. i’m on the family side, i’m not criticising them lol

22 minutes ago, wulgaren said:

why are you being so elitist lol

i don’t mind random beat switchups, i just feel the transitioning between them is sloppy. i like the music, it’s just some minor criticism i have.

also i meant speculating on where sophie would head with this album, not the situation around it. ben himself said some tracks were less finished, and he was just going off his instinct. which is not a couple of touches away nor a finalized product by any means. i’m not trying to know more than the family i’m just going based on facts they said. 

they tried their best working with what they had and i appreciate that, i just said in the beginning that because of its unfinished state (ben mentioned some tracks were just one day long sessions) it would probably be better to say it was a compilation than an album for the general reception, to avoid the unnecessary backlash from too much hype. i’m on the family side, i’m not criticising them lol

i dont think they wanted to lie just so the album gets received better. also yeah the transitions are kinda ass lol but maybe sophie wanted some really abrupt / jarring changes throughout the album. she did say she wrote songs to feel like a rollercoaster, maybe it was similar for this album

8 minutes ago, bethanywhite247 said:

i dont think they wanted to lie just so the album gets received better. also yeah the transitions are kinda ass lol but maybe sophie wanted some really abrupt / jarring changes throughout the album. she did say she wrote songs to feel like a rollercoaster, maybe it was similar for this album

that would make sense! some demos of transnation and nybd have those transitions too, i thought it was just demo things but could be a conscious choice. i’m sure they will grow on me but i think i’ll wait for another listen when it’s actually out.

also not saying they should lie ofc, just personally i would word it differently i guess / different perspective

2 hours ago, czikszentmihalyi said:

Is it "objectively trash" or can you just not understand more abstract music? Some of you people would crumble if you had to listen to a noise album. Mm

Seriously? 💀 I LOVED OOEPUI and the remix album especially. Doesn't make Plunging any less skippable doll

and when the second part of the album surprise drops and the tracklist is this

Spoiler

TAKE ME TO DUBAI

NEW YORK'S BURNING DOWN

INSTRUCTION

BLAZE THAT ASS

JUMP

BURN RUBBER

KITTY KAT

SUNSCREEN

MAKEOVER

PRIORITY

FAVOUR

LOCK IT UP

IN THE RAIN

TRANSNATION

yes i'm a dreamer…

11 hours ago, Kurt said:

Has anyone ever shared the full list of songs Sophie pitched to Rihanna? Allegedly there was an entire folder that people got access to?

If not, anyone have a list of what’s confirmed and/or speculated to be from that batch?

I actually just finished updating this section last night in my master post I linked forever back, so if you can find it they are all listed and specified

1 hour ago, finalgirl said:

and when the second part of the album surprise drops and the tracklist is this

Reveal hidden contents

TAKE ME TO DUBAI

NEW YORK'S BURNING DOWN

INSTRUCTION

BLAZE THAT ASS

JUMP

BURN RUBBER

KITTY KAT

SUNSCREEN

MAKEOVER

PRIORITY

FAVOUR

LOCK IT UP

IN THE RAIN

TRANSNATION

yes i'm a dreamer…

A lot of these could still be released as droplets so

I loved it :popcorn:  Glad it was new material compared to stuff we already heard. It felt fresh to me but I can see why people are upset in terms of getting their favourite Sophie songs released on streaming etc 

who knows maybe more stuff is to come through other artists etc

I think you should enjoy the albumfor what it is, it’s really great if your not focusing on what you think is missing 

My only complaint is I feel time restraints played a big part in why a lot of the songs can feel “half baked” at times, or rushed. When they were played live, sometimes some of these songs would run about 9 minutes…. Like DYWBA and One More Time alone could’ve taken almost an entire side of a record up in terms of space if they were the original lengths. I wonder if that was a problem.

I think the demos she played live were just the first takes of the songs with some live improv as well and that it was never in her mind to keep them that long, but to recontextualize them in the format of an album. Just like a film director who shoots many scenes and then cuts some of them for whatever stylistic/plot purpose reason. Benny himself talked about how she wanted “some parts of the songs to be kept and some others to be removed” or smth like that.

9 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

DYWBA and One More Time may be missing over 5 minutes of music…. BUT DAMN FUCK do these slap …. best songs I’ve ever heard in my life :trisha3:

And that’s okay bc Benny is going to release the extended versions as singles yup yup mmhmm!