Sign in to follow this  
SwayTokyo

HONEYMOON - Is it BTD 2.0 or UV 2.0?

BTD 2.0 or UV 2.0?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is Honeymoon BTD 2.0 or UV 2.0?

• BTD 2.0
    • UV 2.0

To me, it's the perfect mix of all her albums together, not really a follow-up to an individual album, but an entire new entity, with elements of all of her previous works.

The title track has strings, which makes it a lot more similar to Born to Die, but is slower like Ultraviolence. Its lyrics remind me of Paradise, with its references to fire, roses, and so on, but it also has a bit of an Ultraviolence feel as well with the reference to "the history of violence" line. It also sounds very much like a soundtrack song too.

Music to Watch Boys To has this exotic/tropical vibe and lyrics that reminds me of Paradise, but the drums remind me of Ultraviolence, as does the "nothing gold can stay, like love or lemonade" line. The only Born to Die reference I can think of is the "blue ribbons on ice" line (This Is What Makes Us Girls throwback).

Terrence Loves You is probably the only song on the album that sounds as if it definitely could have come from another era. It sounds like a bit of a slower Ultraviolence track, in my opinion, with the guitars and drums towards the end, and the jazzy influences.

God Knows I Tried is quite similar to Ultraviolence - not really sure why, but it's kind of slow, has guitars and a lot of reverb. The chords are also quite similar to "Kinda Outta Luck" so it has a bit of an unreleased feel too.

High By The Beach is quite a modern song with a few electronic elements, as well as fast beats and a catchy chorus, which definitely makes me think of Born to Die. Lyrically though, the bridge takes me back to AKA, with that "lights, camera, acción" reference.

Freak reminds me of Paradise, since it's kind of Cola 2.0 in my opinion and it has that same sexy vibe to it. The beats have a similar feel to Born to Die.

Art Deco sounds quite similar to Born to Die as well, with the beats and lyrics.

Religion starts off sounding a lot like Ultraviolence, quite slow and reflective, but by the chorus it sounds like a more mature version of a Born to Die song, with the chords in the background and the beats.

Salvatore has beats most similar to Born to Die, but vocals reminiscent of Ultraviolence or Paradise.

The Blackest Day reminds me a lot of Cruel World, considering its length and chaotic nature. It even references guns. A few of the lines sound like something off Paradise or Ultraviolence ("Just put your hands up in the air, the radio on" which is similar to West Coast and Burning Desire's lyrics).The chords in the background though sound very much like Born to Die, and it's quite a fast track by the chorus and bridge.

24 sounds a lot like her soundtrack songs, but has that same jazzy vibe as Ultraviolence.

Swan Song has the orchestra of Born to Die, vibe of Ultraviolence, and the lyrics of Paradise, but more than anything, sounds like another soundtrack song.

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood reminds me most of Ultraviolence, it has a very similar tone to The Other Woman in my opinion.

So, overall, you can pick out lots of elements that reference her previous works, but the album as a whole is so diverse that it doesn't sound like just one album. It has the variety of AKA and some lyric throwbacks, some similar beats to Born to Die, a bit of a tropical vibe reminiscent of Paradise, as well as the slow, jazzy feel and occasional guitar strum/drum sound of Ultraviolence.

I feel like you should add a "mixed" option to the poll, because Honeymoon sounds neither like just Born to Die nor just Ultraviolence.

It#s not Born To Die at all, I don't know how y'all are getting this feeling. Born To Die is much more pop.ish and her vocal style was still very different, so were the instrumentals and the atmosphere of the album.

It's not Uv.2.0 aswell, but it's closer to it in terms of vocals and sound.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!