Gecko

Glass Animals

if y'all haven't noticed, Heat Waves was basically one of the top Alternative song of 2020... in help by some fan fiction of two Minecraft youtubers??? :bebe:

Glass Animals’ Hottest 100 win: ‘Heat Waves’ and the power of online fandom

While it was a close call at one point, with just 350 votes separating the #1 and #2 song in the polls, ‘Heat Waves’ came out on top by a very comfortable margin, becoming your #1 Hottest song of 2020 and making Glass Animals the first British band to top triple j’s Hottest 100 since Mumford & Sons (in 2009 with ‘Little Lion Man’).  

A woozy reflection on a doomed romance told through the lens of a steamy summer, ‘Heat Waves’ evokes a heartache we’ve all felt at least once in our lives. It’s a tale as old as pop, but Glass Animals wire that melancholy into colourful production and rhythms that encourage you to sway and swagger.  

The beats have the hip hop and RnB-shaped knock of Dr. Dre and Timbaland (two of frontman Dave Bayely’s biggest inspirations), but they service the song’s instantly catchy hooks and cycling plucks of guitar rather than overshadowing them.  

More specifically, ‘Heat Waves’ inadvertently became the soundtrack to some Minecraft fanfic. 

Head to any comments section involving ‘Heat Waves’ – YouTube, Twitter, Genius.com – and you’ll find it spammed with references to ‘dnf’ and the quote: “I burn you?” “You melt me.”  

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/musicnews/hottest-100-win-glass-animals-heat-waves-feature-minecraft-fic/13086032

anyways im glad the song shot up the charts, everything about it is beautiful and I glad I stumbled upon the album last summer, there are weeks I play nothing but dreamland