Hello Heaven

Emilie Autumn

Truly an underrated genius. I discovered her back in 2010, and since then have listened to everything that's out (to my knowledge, anyway, I have twenty-five of the unreleased tracks, I don't know if they are the only ones in circulation,) Willow, Opheliac, I Know Where You Sleep, Marry Me, Thank God I'm Pretty, Shalott, God Help Me, Photographic Memory, Dominant and Fairweather Friend are definitely some of her musical gems in my opinion. There's a very strange atmosphere that Emilie sets that is very capturing, so long as the listener allows themselves to be captured by it.

But it wasn't until actually sitting down and listening to the Your Sugar Sits Untouched audiobook that I connected with Emilie much differently. There was a time during my senior year in high school when I would just listen to only the audio book on a loop whenever I could, but especially enjoyed having it play as I slept. I've laughed, cried, longed, reminisced, smiled, daydreamed and simply dreamed over and over again to YSSU. It is probably my most frequent played album of hers in my library. There's such a comforting, forlorn disquiet and reconciliation between madness and reason, infatuation and rejection, sadness and acceptance, contentment and wanderlust in many of the poems. But there's a sense of resilience that Emilie withholds from being driven to silence, and had it not been for the fact that she sets this very "let me talk to you," delivery, I think that phenomenal quality would have gone overlooked. It is such an intimate audiobook, there's nothing more to it, there is an intimacy that cannot be mimicked. There's true genius in having that capability as a writer and poet.

I want to have a tea party with her so bad.

@ - yay, another resident Emilie Autumn fan! I love her poetry too, I find that YSSU is great to listen to when I'm sleeping too because she talks in a way where you feel as if she's talking directly to you, it's soothing but the content is brilliant and creative. It's a shame she's so underrated but I was surprised at how many stans there were when I saw her perform, she seemed really emotional and happy to have us all there - she said that all the terrible things she's gone through has been turned into a work of art and she wouldn't choose to change any of it. And then she threw cake at me and I pretty much died  :creep:

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

I'm glad that I've found an Emilie Autumn thread here...

I adore Opheliac and everything that came from the era - the EPs, Unlaced, Emilie's forum diary posts and interviews. I even enjoy The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls to some degree.

I also like Enchant, even though the album is rather immature (quite few songs seem to be too "inspired" by other songs to be a coincidence). YSSU is perfect.

The FLAG era is a major disappointment, even though the Moth crumpet is adorable.

I'm really interested if Emilie's musical is truly going to be a thing, or just stay a wishful thinking...(or movie by Darren Lynn Bousman).

i am nothing and should be everything

That's the point I was trying to make, actually....I'm afraid that it's quite possible, sadly.  Emilie's been constantly referencing a movie version of TAFWVG and unless she has a huge fight with DFB, he's gonna direct the film.

Wish that it was Burke. He seems like a much cooler guy and his video from FLAG tour fits Emilie's vision much more than TDC's aesthetics.

I do know Bousman and Emilie get along and he's most likely to direct the Asylum musical. I wish it wasn't like this though. You're right, @@Lirazel . The FLAG tour video is great, I admit this although I don't like that much performances in this era.

And the wind I know it’s cold

I've missed her when she was in Poland this year and I don't even regret it... I love her shows, but FLAG songs are so-so and she doesn't sing any old stuff... sigh. At least if she comes next year, there will be Moth with her! I'm looking forward to seeing her flag dance.

On another note, I've been listening a lot to songs from Opheliac today. It scares me how she has managed to capture the most painful feelings in her music and lyrics... she truly is brilliant - when she wants to be.

I'm so tempted to re-read The Asylum For Wayward Victorian Girls.

I have a lot of much more important books to read, not to mention the pile of novels that  are patiently waiting for me to take my time with them...and Emilie's book is not The Best Novel On Earth, not even close to what it was hyped us...but yeah... :rollin:

I love her writing style (when she writes confessions), and TAFWVG makes me feel like I was in her Opheliac word.

I used to listen to her a lot. She is really talented and has such an unique style. :bop: Gentlemen aren't nice and Misery Loves Company are my favourites of her work. But I never listened to any of her newer stuff to be honestly. I lost interested in her a time ago, but I guess I'm gonna hear into some of her newer stuff in the next days.

I'm so tempted to re-read The Asylum For Wayward Victorian Girls.

I have a lot of much more important books to read, not to mention the pile of novels that  are patiently waiting for me to take my time with them...and Emilie's book is not The Best Novel On Earth, not even close to what it was hyped us...but yeah... :rollin:

I love her writing style (when she writes confessions), and TAFWVG makes me feel like I was in her Opheliac word.

I've also read TAFWVG only once. I'm OMFG SO LUCKY to own a physical copy and from time to time I read fragments of it, I open it randomly or sometimes I'm in particular mood to read some fragment. Anyway, actually I've read it like from the beginning to the end only once.

I agree it is not a totally flawless book but it's still very good ;) .

Now she's about to release the audiobook though! And even though I've read, I'm so damnly tempted to hear it read by Emilie... I just love listening to her voice...

I've also read TAFWVG only once. I'm OMFG SO LUCKY to own a physical copy and from time to time I read fragments of it, I open it randomly or sometimes I'm in particular mood to read some fragment. Anyway, actually I've read it like from the beginning to the end only once.

I agree it is not a totally flawless book but it's still very good ;) .

Now she's about to release the audiobook though! And even though I've read, I'm so damnly tempted to hear it read by Emilie... I just love listening to her voice...

Oh, you're so lucky! I would love to own a physical copy - not for the price, though :defeated: And I can't wait to listen to the audiobook - hope that it's done the YSSU untouched way, and that I will able to listen to it one way or another...

I've finally gave Noir a listen and I must say that Lana's vocal delivery in certain parts really reminded me of what Emilie did on Opheliac(both the song and record).... those angry, screechy vocals.

I've finally gave Noir a listen and I must say that Lana's vocal delivery in certain parts really reminded me of what Emilie did on Opheliac(both the song and record).... those angry, screechy vocals.

So did it to me! They're very similar... And different in the same time. Emilie's voice expresses how angry she is with others. Lana's - how angry with herself.

One could notice it in the lyrics as well - the use of "I"'s and "you"'s:

You know the games I play

And the words I say

When I want my own way

You know the lies I tell

When you've gone through hell

And I say I can't stay

You know how hard it can be

To keep believing in me

When everything and everyone

Becomes my enemy and when

There's nothing more you can do

I'm gonna blame it on you

It's not the way I want to be

I only hope that in the end you will see

It's the Opheliac in me

She even literally says "she's gonna blame on him". And the chorus describes their mutual, morbid relationship.

Cos I'm glamorous

Famous

Notorious

Dangerous, but I'm crazy

Oh, glamorous

Dangerous

Notorious, famous but I'm crazy

He's gonna leave me, he wants a real girl!

I'm like a cartoon, all caught up in his fame game

Yo, good luck, good luck

He said we're through

This, on the other hand, sounds to me like she's talking to herself. She's focused on what she is, as though all the evils in her life were her fault.

So did it to me! They're very similar... And different in the same time. Emilie's voice expresses how angry she is with others. Lana's - how angry with herself.

One could notice it in the lyrics as well - the use of "I"'s and "you"'s:

She even literally says "she's gonna blame on him". And the chorus describes their mutual, morbid relationship.

This, on the other hand, sounds to me like she's talking to herself. She's focused on what she is, as though all the evils in her life were her fault.

Oh, and here I was thinking that I'm deluded and probably the only person who sees it like this!

I also thought that she's talking to herself, but more in the "paraphrasing the asshole" way. Maybe deep, deep down, she knows that he's right, but she can't change at all, so she holds on to her self-perception of a glamourous and dangerous person that not many people can handle.

She sounds so jaded in that part. I would compare it to Emilie's lyrics and delivery in Gothic Lolita, where she repeats her rapists words.

Not sure if there are any EA stans alive on this board except for me, but - YAY! After years of waiting, we get a new record on the 22nd of September.

It's more Asylum Musical stuff, but that's something, at least. I've doubted that she will ever release a new album, so I'm quite glad.

As a side-note, I'm considering buying the Asylum paperback though I've heard that it's a bit censored in comparison to the old, big book, which I have printed out and cherish very much.